It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
(male)

JustJeff HB User
Are more sensitive people more likely to be depressed?

Hi folks,

I feel one of the large reasons why I became depressed was oversensitivity. I would do something just moderately embarassing, and maybe no one would even criticize me for it, and I would feel extremely bad about it and think about it even years later. I'm also extremely sensitive to world events and get very upset when something goes wrong nationally or internationally.

I'm more sensitive to fears than rewards. Doing something that takes courage was not for me because there is both a great cost and great reward, yet my mind is always more attuned to the costs than rewards.

The upside to this is I'm relatively good at writing and art, and I'm a deep thinker, but after years of living in an invisible prison sentence, I would give this up in a second not to feel depressed anymore.

Does anyone have similiar schemas? There are of course many causes of depression, I think this is one of mine.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User
Re: Are more sensitive people more likely to be depressed?

Hi there,

Oh, yeah, I'm sure that more artistic and creative types become depressed. I think tons of the old masters had some kind of mental condition at some point or another. Van Gough's (oh, make that Picasso's!) blue period?? "The Scream" by Edvard Munch?? At the other end, I think people who like order and control are candidates as well. Introverts too, or maybe that's more of who shows up to write in cyberspace, as they extorverts are out talking about it instead.

It's the two sides of a coin being this "type"--the ability to "bleed on paper" or create/paint etc. from moods and feelings and that the ability also brings the cost of experiencing things so acutely. Probably antidepressants can level some of these feelings, but that's just it; they can level some of these feelings. Oh, but you're looking for that. Give your doc a call and let her/him know what is going on with you.

Let us know how you're doing again soon.

Last edited by macadamiaNUT; 03-13-2006 at 11:03 PM. Reason: mixed up masters....mix masters! leave it to a mom...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I was looking at this thread thinking about what to say and came up with this. As a child there was physical and emotional abuse present and it caused me to be very careful on what I did and said fearing what the reaction to be. Now decades later I am overly sensitive in some areas I can be the comple opposite my two sides of the coin as mNut put it. Now I am not saying all sensitive people were abused just my story

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 03-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User

I'm not sure exactly what class I fit into. I had a good childhood. I was always good in school, not because I wanted to be, but because I didn't want to make a teacher scold me in front of the whole class. My feelings were hurt easily, even when the person that did it wasn't aware they had said anything to upset me. I think I had some insecurities I never dealt with. As a child I had to be assured at bedtime by my parents that they wouldn't leave while I was asleep. That still baffles me. My parents never even left me with a baby-sitter!! As I got older, I was my mom's "wild child" for a few years. I didn't do anything really bad, but I wasn't all good either.

I started dancing lessons when I was four and I stuck with it until I was 18 and old enough to teach. My dance instructor let me teach some of her classes. Acrobat,tap,ballet,modern jazz. This is where I get confused. I danced in front of hundreds of people and loved it. How could I be shy and then do that?? Dance was my love. I taught until I was 25 and then stayed at home with my girls.

During a lot of this I'm sure I was depressed, but I didn't know it until later when I learned what it was. As far as being sensitive, I most definitely was in many ways. It wasn't easy for me to cry in front of people, but my tears come when my family is in bad or gone, to this day.

Well, now I think I'm confused about myself. I'm glad you brought this up Jeff because it's something I never thought about or dealt with, and now I know I should have done it. I'm getting to know myself better.....
Take Care.....Connie

Old 03-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

it's the night light brigade of three again. oh, except I need to finish one paper to start another tomorrow. "see" you again...do you two ever SLEEEEP??

Old 03-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
(male)

JustJeff HB User

Thanks for your replies folks,

macadamiaNUT,
I'd love to start medications again; for the past year or so though I've moved to a new city and spend all my energy to get through the day and take care of a lot of obligations. I've no energy or time left over to find a psychiatrist because of the depression.

Connie... thanks for your story. I know what you mean that you were depressed for a long while but didn't know it. We get to know ourselves better all the time, glad I was of help

Closed Thread