It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User
Birth Control pill help depression?

Spoke to someone earlier today and they mentioned that they suffered with depression and after starting the birth control pill felt much better, obviously it was hormonal for her, wondering if it is possible for me. Anyone heard of this?? pinkeetoz

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 03-14-2006 at 02:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Birth Control pill help depression?

I have noticed this to be true for me. When I was taking Yasmin I felt better emotionally. I didn't have ups and downs in hormonal swings so I was more even. Most other birth control pills make me very depressed but for some reason that one made me feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Apparently, a bcp with both estrogen and progesterin (sp?) is better than an all prog. bcp at improving mood. I guess like antidepressants, results will vary. I think the book Women's Moods covers this in depth. My sister found her bcps helped her moods too.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Forgot to mention, I had a partial hysterectomy 3 years ago, so I no longer have periods. Just remembered feeling better than I ever had when I was pregnant. Also remember when I was on the pill pms was so much easier. Just makes me wonder. Wondering if I may be going through surgical peri-menopause as well. I'm almost 38. Had blood work done yesterday to check hormone levels and thryoid. Will get results in about 3 or 4 days. Will truely be disapointed if they don't find anything because I feel that I may be truely going insane. The anxiety and mood swings are about to finish me off. Antidepressants make me more anxious!!!!!!!!!pinkeetoz

Old 03-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB Userroz5 HB User

I had a total hysterectomy in June and have battling just about everything since then!! I have had 3 saliva tests done for hormone levels, along with blood work for hormones & thyroid. My depression is getting worse & worse. Trying to juggle the hormone meds is a challenge, to say the least. I am using the Femring for estrogen & Prometrium for progesterone. My DHEA level came back incredibly high in both the saliva & blood tests. My gyn is sending me for a CAT scan of the adrenal glands to rule out any tumors (??). My life is such a mess, emotionally & physically. I can't get a grip on things and I'm tired of trying meds (I also have Raynaud's syndrome). I've tried so many AD's & none have worked. I simply give up. Perhaps a higher power is telling me that this is as good as it's going to get.
Good luck with the hormones! It is a true jungle, and I believe that hormonal balance could be the key to happiness!!!

Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Roz5 - so sorry you are going through all of this! Ruling out tumors must be incredibly stressful!

Pinkeetoz - BCP's, like macadamianut said, are very much like antidepressants: their effect varies greatly. Yes, in a few cases with unstable hormones, they can make a depressed individual feel better. The more common side effect is that they actually cause depression. Is your depression/anxiety cyclical?

Assuming that by "partial hysterectomy" you mean you still have your ovaries, you should not be experiencing a surgical menopause. While it's possible that you are in perimenopause, it's not terribly likely at 38. What is quite common in your your 30's, though, is a severe worsening of PMS. Assuming you still have your ovaries, you still experience the exact hormonal changes (including those that cause PMS) that you did when you bled. Not having your uterus and not bleeding doesn't change the hormonal fluctuations.

If what you are experiencing is depression/anxiety that is cyclical and corresponds to a monthly cycle, hormones might be helpful. Something else you might investigate is the Omega 3's. I've found them to be very helpful with PMS.

Last edited by index.html; 03-17-2006 at 02:02 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Got my results in.......just as I figured, nothing is wrong ( I am relieved in a way because thats one less battle, but, now I'm back to square one. By the way, I have one ovary left. I'm on Lexapro, have been on it for a few days, just waiting to feel better. I too will place myself in God's hands. Hard to remember to do that sometimes. pinkeetoz

Last edited by pinkeetoz; 03-16-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Why not give the Omega 3 Oils a chance along with your Lexapro?

Old 03-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
(female)

bigbadfroggie HB User

I've been taking the pill for almost 5 months now, and I feel no change

Closed Thread