It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2003, 01:53 AM   #1

loubilou583 HB User
Question Cognitive Behavioural Therapy??

I went to see a psychiatrist the other night and he said that I have got a severe anxiety disorder, depression and social phobia.

He wants me to go into therapy and start group therapy, as well as one on one. He told me I would be put through cognitive behavioural therapy.

What are your opinions on this? Does it work?

Please let me know.

x

Old 06-27-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User
Wink

Lou, I am currently doing a cognitive behavior therapy program and just started.... I hear marvelous results come from taking part of this therapy. You train your mind so you do not think negatively, etc. and then it can tame anxiety. Best wishes!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
(female)

beachlove12 HB User
Re: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy??

@Soar,

I have been in CBT for about three months for anorexia and depression and have found no help from CBT unfortunately. Have you gained anything positive from CBT?
Bee

Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

kmkirk HB User

Hi, I'm new to the health boards and wanted to respond about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It can be very effective in management of anxiety and depression, and it really helps to re-construct negative thought processes. I would certainly encourage you to try it!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
(female)

beachlove12 HB User

@kmirk, how exactly did it help you? I am unable to change or alter my negative thoughts because they feel too 'strong' and even if I try and allow a positive thought enter my head, then my depression causes me to feel guilty that I even allowed myself to think of this thought. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
(female)

Lucibella23 HB User

CBT probably saved my life. I was suicidal, suffering from tremendous anxiety and depression during college and once I started CBT, my life completely turned around.

If you find the right therapist, one whom you feel really listens to you and that you trust, it can really be an extremely educational process. @beachlove - your therapist can help you with the very strong negative thoughts, as well as the feeling guilty afterward. Alot of it really has to do with repetition, and once you get the hang of it, you gain confidence in your ability to deal with/trust you thoughts and feelings.

Closed Thread