It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2003, 06:48 PM   #1

flyingdove HB User
Post Fioricet for depression/anxiety?

I've suffered from depression, anxiety, pain since my teenage years. When I take Fioricet, I am able to be myself around people. I have energy and motivation. The fact of the matter is people, including my family, like me better when I am taking it. I like myself better - I emerge from my shell. I have faithfully tried several antidepressants over the years, but none compare to the results of Fioricet. How can I ever go back to the person I was before I took it? Tired, sad, did not want to talk to people, anxious, in chronic pain. When I am on it, I am taken back to how I behaved when I was younger before the depression, etc hit me. I make people laugh, I am happy, things don't feel like they are out of control, I can get things done, I dont feel overwhelmed with life. The person buried in the depression emerges. Has Fioricet ever been investigated as an antidepressant? Any other 'more acceptable' alternatives? I've tried most of the SSRIs, some brief time on Zanax (just made me tired), Celaxa, Buspar, Effexor, Depakote, Neurotin, the list goes on....safe to say I have very drug resistant depression. I have found something that works. A diabetic is dependant on their medication. I would be fully willing to be dependant on this, but I do not think its an medically acceptable treatment. How can I talk to my doc about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran

Soxy HB User
Dear FlyingDove, I am somewhat familiar with this med because I take it's sister drug Fironal (sp) for Migraines. I'm not sure why you are taking it, but it
sounds like it is giving you some kind of "buzz" and that makes you feel better. I would definitely talk to your doc about it. It's not going to help your depression in the long run. I don't know about Fioricet, but I think most pain meds over time can bring you down. Have you tried Lexapro for depression? I have been on it for about 6 weeks now. I have chronic pain and have been depressed for years. Because of the 24/7 pain, my depression symptoms began to rear their ugly head. My doc has started me on Lexapro and I am beginning to see a small light at the end of the tunnel. As you probably know, there is no quick fix with depression. There is no one med that works for all. I also want to add that even when I have my meds straight I always go to counseling every month. For me that is a must. Good luck to you.
Take care.

------------------
Don't wish upon a star...reach for one!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread