It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User
Post Effexor XR. Dosage Increase.

Hey there, I have been taking Effexor XR for 4 weeks (37.5mg week 1 and 75mg for 3 weeks). I was taken off Zoloft after 10 years.

I had a 4 week appointment on Thursday and my doctor increased my dosage to 150mg (Once in the morning) because we both felt that 75mg was working but was not the theraputic dosage. I have been on 150mg for 3 days now.

Has anyone else increased their dosage on this and found that increase to be better for them?

Also, she stopped my 10mg of Buspar for GAD since Effexor XR also treats GAD. She said that it was such a small dose that I should experience no withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks,
AW

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 03-19-2006 at 05:00 AM.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User
Re: Effexor XR. Dosage Increase.

For me anyways, since weaning off from 150 mg of effexor xr....I now realize how much anxiety the 150 mg was causing me. It was awesome for depression and helping with grinding my teeth at night though.

I'm weaning all the way off to see if my medication induced postural tremor goes away....caused by the effexor the dr's say.

Then I'll most likely go back on.....but not back up to 150 mg. I remember taking the first 37.5 mg last year and it kicked in real quick with helping the depression....I think I'll just stay at 37.5 after I'm done with my little experiment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

since the max dose is lots more than 150 I would try it and hope the med starts working

Old 03-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Hi Zoloftman,

I haven't been on the same AD that you are on, but I have had experience with increasing an AD after starting it.
I started amiltriptyline 20 years ago. It doesn't work for everyone but it did for me. I started on 50 mg's at bedtime. (taken at bedtime because it has a sedative in it.) After about two years it was increased to 100 mg's, and about six more months and it was upped to 150mg's. I stayed at that dose for some time and then it was upped again to 200mg's. That's where I am now. It's a large dose, but being on it 20 years, I can understand why I'm taking this amount.
I was put on lexapro about a month ago, but still on the amil triptyline. I take 10 mg's of he new AD, and if my psychiatrist thinks I need more, I will go o 20 mg's. The lexapro hasn't had time to reach it's full effect yet, but I'm feeling better. I hope this helped a little.......
Take Care.........Connie

Old 03-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I have been on Effexor XR for over a year now. My doctor started me at a low dosage and increased it over a period of a year until we got to a dosage where I began to feel better. I am now taking 225 mgs every morning and have pretty much stabilized at this dosage. I have been up to 300 mgs but did not notice much difference so my doctor put me back to 225 mgs. He has also added 150 mgs of Wellbutrin a few months ago. He said it would give me more energy. I feel great except for the dry mouth, loss of appetite, and excess sweating at times.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
(female)

SadLittleSadie HB User

I'm on 37.5mgs of Effexor. I was really hoping it would be the med that helped me. I've been on so many latly and nothings working. I've been on it 22 days I still feel very depressed I have a bit more energy, but still miserable. I'm glad it works for all you guys.

-Sad Little Sadie

Old 03-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadLittleSadie
I'm on 37.5mgs of Effexor. I was really hoping it would be the med that helped me. I've been on so many latly and nothings working. I've been on it 22 days I still feel very depressed I have a bit more energy, but still miserable. I'm glad it works for all you guys.

-Sad Little Sadie

Sadie,

37.5 mgs of Effexor is a very low dose. You will need to keep in touch with your doctor and let him know how you are feeling. The doctor usually starts you on a low dose and increases the dosage over a period of time to monitor your reaction to the medication. It is up to you to let the doctor know how you feel so you can take control of your depression. You may need a higher dosage or a different type of AD. I have been on 225 mgs for over a year now and feel great. I still have times of sadness and stress but I am able to deal with it and move on.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
(female)

BlueDenial HB User

Morning everybody,
I'm pretty new here so pardon me for posting. I had an experience with effexor xr. I was on that about 2 years ago but the dr. I was seeing at the time never started me on 37.5 mg, I was started on 75 mg and I didn't feel any different after more than a month. Then they raised my dose to 150 mg. it was a total turn around for me, I was feeling better and better every day. I would say that it works great. One morning I got a call from that dr. and she basically told me off in so many words, said that I was hiding from my problems,etc. I got so upset that I hung up and never went back to that dr. again. I went cold turkey from the effexor xr and that was somewhat of a nitemare. I look back and think I'm lucky to have gotten through that. I'm not on anything now, and I wrote a while back that I need to go back on something because the depression is back pretty strong. Well, good luck with the medication...

Old 03-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User
Post Re: Effexor XR. Dosage Increase.

Thanks members for all of your responses. After feeling miserable on Wednesday (flu-like, irritable and such), I had my best day in a long time yesterday. I can actually feel a building effect, almost like if I start to feel down, a good feeling kicks in the bad feelings leave.

I also just started a new job as a sales and leasing consultant at a major car dealership and have sold 3 cars in 3 days, even though I have not completed training. I have been in the coporate world for 20 years and have not been able to use\maximize my customer service, influence and people skills and this job is taking care of that.

Thanks again for your support!

Aaron

Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Way cool, Aaron. I hope you'll keep us posted and that you'll continue to feel good! diane

Closed Thread