It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2003, 07:47 AM   #1

lanalane HB User
Post wellbutrin and acne???

I'm just wondering if anyone has had problems with acne after taking wellbutrin or other anti-d's. For the last year my face has been breaking out and I finally traced it back to about the time I started taking wellbutrin. I'm 24 and NEVER had problems with acne before, have always had a smooth complexion and this is killing me. I know it's not as bad as some side-effects, but it makes me want to hide my face when I'm around people. What kind of over the counter stuff can i get to help? I use Clinique and it isn't helping. Somebody told me benzyl peroxide but I don't know where to get it.
Help!

Old 01-29-2003, 11:17 AM   #2

rivergirl301 HB User
I have been on Wellbutrin for a good number of years and never had acne as a side effect. I have had adult acne (not as blown-out an affair as how badly adolescents get it), yet I never had acne as a teenager, so it is possible to have acne for the first time as an adult.

The benzoyl peroxide is in the over-the-counter acne treatments (they contain either that or salicylic acid). You would see it listed on the product as the active ingredient. You have to be careful, though, as it can be extremely drying to those with normal skin (not really oily). I think it is difficult not to overdo it w/the benzoyl peroxide. I would start with the salicylic acid first. Johnson and Johnson's makes a line of skin care called "Clean and Clear"--cleansers, treatment, even oil-free moisturizers--all with the salicylic acid in it.

If you have the $, you may have seen the "Proactive" acne treatment advertised on TV or magazines. It really, really works. I used it, my sister uses it, I have heard of a lot of people being happy with it. It is pricey, though, $50 for a 1 month supply, but I found the treatments lasted much longer than using them for just 30 days. They put you on "autoship" to receive the product every 30 days, but you can tell them you don't want to be on autoship and then you just order it as needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Dermatologic: Frequent were nonspecific rashes; infrequent were alopecia and dry skin; rare were change in hair color, hirsutism, and acne.

Got this off the drug monograph for wellbutrin; it is a side effect for sure but is under the rare catagory. Hopefully some OTC stuff will help clear it up. My daughter had a friend that swears by that ProActive stuff too.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:45 PM   #4

whoopie HB User
I did not have acne until after the birth of my second child at 22 years old. I fought it for years and a hormone treatment was the only thing that stopped it. The acne stopped in 1997. I started taking wellbutrin April 2002 and have had no trouble with acne what so ever. I would see a dermatologist and or gynecologist.

Closed Thread