It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Inactive

babybrige HB User
Post Lexapro side effects

I just recently started taking Lexapro (one pill in the morning)... and havent really noticed any side effects or nothing at all yet, so i was wondering if any of you all have experienced any and if so what are the side effects that you get from taking Lexapro?? If you all could please let me know, that would be great since this is my first time taking this new med...
~Brige

Old 08-14-2003, 10:04 AM   #2

KayJay HB User
Brige,

I have only been taking Lexapro for 10 days so there may be side effects that I haven't experienced yet. As for me so far I've had an increased sensitive gag reflex that I've never had, excessive yawning for the first 4 days on the meds, a little more tired than I would like to be, and a feeling like I'm jumping out of my skin which makes me have to bounce my leg all day to control the sensation. In the evenings I'm exhausted to the point that I can't get any house work done, or spend quality time with my son. I basically just crash on my couch.
I don't seem to be as anxious as I was, but haven't seen any positive effects regarding my mood.

I hope to see how this med has affected other people. I hope my info helped!

Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 AM   #3

InquisitiveMinds HB User
I have been on Lexapro for about 6 months now, and I have not noticed any side effects. I am tired quite often, which could be a side effect, but that is nothing compared to the good this med has done for me. If I forget to take it for several days straight, I get severly depressed and even think of suicide. When this happens I make sure that I resume taking it, and everything goes away. In my opinion, it is a great drug.

Old 08-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #4

chelann HB User
Hi, I have been on Lexapro for about 3 weeks and so far so good! This is the first time in years I have not been a complete ***** everyday! I think it has saved my marriage. I do take mine around 7 pm because when I was taking it in the morning I would get tired after a few hours and need a nap. Hope you do well!! take care

Old 08-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #5

chelann HB User
Hi, I have been on Lexapro for about 3 weeks and so far so good! This is the first time in years I have not been a complete ***** everyday! I think it has saved my marriage. I do take mine around 7 pm because when I was taking it in the morning I would get tired after a few hours and need a nap. Hope you do well!! take care

Old 08-20-2003, 08:07 PM   #6

mmcaren HB User
I have been on Lexapro for about 12 weeks now. I experienced positive results within 2 weeks. The side effects came in the first week though. The yawn was the one I had for a while but it went away after about the third or fourth week. The only side effect I seem to have now is an occasional hiccup. I was so scared that I was going to have the loss of libido side effect, but I figured that my libido was so low anyway that it didn't matter. But my libido actually improved due to my better mood.

My husband says that he isn't afraid to come home from work anymore. I think that is reason enough to call my treatment a total success.

I am concerned about the long-term effects of this drug.

Caren

Old 10-19-2004, 11:32 AM   #7
Inactive

babybrige HB User
Re: Lexapro side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayJay
Brige,

I have only been taking Lexapro for 10 days so there may be side effects that I haven't experienced yet. As for me so far I've had an increased sensitive gag reflex that I've never had, excessive yawning for the first 4 days on the meds, a little more tired than I would like to be, and a feeling like I'm jumping out of my skin which makes me have to bounce my leg all day to control the sensation. In the evenings I'm exhausted to the point that I can't get any house work done, or spend quality time with my son. I basically just crash on my couch.
I don't seem to be as anxious as I was, but haven't seen any positive effects regarding my mood.

I hope to see how this med has affected other people. I hope my info helped!

Kay
Sorry for just now getting back to your post... things have been hectic around here.. I have currently been taking off of Lexapro all-together due that it made me restless at night and also I had an increase in my appetite as well... although I liked it as far as my social anxiety goes, but rarely just because it gave me those side effects.... also it made me nervous about an hour after I took it and then sleepy... hmm however that may be, so I have now been put on Effexor but haven't started taking it just yet because I am waiting to see what and how Concerta effects me first... anyways, just thought I would reply back.... thanks and sorry for the delay once again.. good luck~

Old 10-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
(female)

Firefly426 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Lexapro side effects

I took it and I got off it the very next time I went back to the docter. It made my depression WORSE, but people are different, I'm just saying that it made me really bad so watch out... Thanks for reading...

Old 10-20-2004, 01:54 PM   #9

kimba28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybrige
I just recently started taking Lexapro (one pill in the morning)... and havent really noticed any side effects or nothing at all yet, so i was wondering if any of you all have experienced any and if so what are the side effects that you get from taking Lexapro?? If you all could please let me know, that would be great since this is my first time taking this new med...
~Brige
tiredness, sweating, head zaps, dizziness, difficulty in orgasming (sp? lol!), jaw clenching, insomnia, mental "fog"....there are people who have had all this and more, some of this, or none of this. Everybody's body chemistry is different. The side effects were manageable (and preferable to hurting myself or others). It did initially help me, but I could never progress past a certain level of depression. It just stayed. Then the med stopped working, and the doctor started adding in other things. Then I tried to get off all the meds and all **** broke loose. This is not uncommon, and why you will probably hear some negative things about the lexapro. The question is...is it working for you?

Old 10-20-2004, 02:20 PM   #10
Inactive

babybrige HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba28
tiredness, sweating, head zaps, dizziness, difficulty in orgasming (sp? lol!), jaw clenching, insomnia, mental "fog"....there are people who have had all this and more, some of this, or none of this. Everybody's body chemistry is different. The side effects were manageable (and preferable to hurting myself or others). It did initially help me, but I could never progress past a certain level of depression. It just stayed. Then the med stopped working, and the doctor started adding in other things. Then I tried to get off all the meds and all **** broke loose. This is not uncommon, and why you will probably hear some negative things about the lexapro. The question is...is it working for you?
Actually, it was working with the whole social anxiety part... but it made me gain weight majorly.. so I 'weined' myself off of it and went to go see a new psychologist/psychiatrist who is better at prescribing different kinds of meds for you because I basically told the old psychiatrist that Lexapro seems like a good anxiety/antidepressant.. and I wanted to give it a try.. so he put me on that one.. and yeh.. doctors aren't really supposed to do that..

Well, I 'weined' myself off of it because it increased my appetite.. and made me restless at night.. and hard for me to go to sleep.. all that could make me go to sleep was music or ocassionally TV.. but yeh.. that's why I went off of it.. and I was also on another drug too.. and the reason why he put me on Lexapro was that the other drug made me very lethargic.. but yeh anyways.. I am now on Effexor and that's working fairly well, from today being the first day.. bad thing is it's making me nervosness and decreasing my appetite.. but that's nothing I am new to.. well, I hoped I answered your question to the best of my ability..

Last edited by babybrige; 10-20-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Old 10-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Hey- I actually just posted about this, but I've been taking Lexapro for about a month now and I LOVE IT. It has done wonders for me and I only take 5mg each day (at night). The only side effects that I noticed were sort of random: a dry mouth and very dilated pupils. These are not serious enough to make me stop taking the medicine, but they were related to it, nonetheless. Good luck!!

Old 10-21-2004, 05:50 AM   #12

kimba28 HB User

Hey,

I am glad it works for somebody...and NO, I didn't mean that sarcastically! It does work for some people with little to no side effects. Just not me Watch for any odd behaviors you have never had connected with the depression (if you've had an episode other than this). Bouts of mania, thoughts of suicide. Make sure that you continue to progress and get better. It actually keeps some people depressed. Other than that, just learn to listen to your body REALLY well and trust your gut instincts as they come to you, and be thankful that you found something that is working well for you! I've met so many on this board who are still struggling to find one...
And KEEP POSTING!!!!! We love getting more info on EVERYTHING!!!

Old 10-21-2004, 11:40 AM   #13
(female)

MermaidMer HB User

i'm weaning off effexor right now because it made me extremely suicidal and i also gained about 10lbs on it (as opposed to the 10lbs i lost while on zoloft). i'm starting on lexapro in a few days and it's really helpful to hear all the comments everyone has shared about the drug. i'm glad it's helped many of you, and for those of you for whom it didn't work, i hope you find a new AD that does! thanks for all the great info everyone, keep it up!

~Meredith

Old 10-21-2004, 08:05 PM   #14

Confused11 HB User
Talking Re: Lexapro side effects

I started taking Lexapro about 4 days ago. I know what you mean about the dry mouth, shaky leg thing, alot of yawning, huge mental fog (which isn't good considering I have 2 tests coming up), and sleepiness. However, I feel like I am finally starting to act like myself again. I have been suffering from extreme social anxiety and depression. I have already made plans with different people Fri, Sat, and Sun.. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but it is to me. Anyways, although I am experiencing a lot of the side effects, I am hoping that they will go away soon but I will continue to take it seeing how I am feeling better about myself and feeling better about going out with other people.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #15
(male)

bobafett573 HB User

hey i was just looking in the mirror today and saw that my pupils were getting larger and then smaller (in small increments) and were dialated. i just started on an anti-depressant med (lexapro) yesterday and i'm not sure if that's doing it. is that normal? is there a sort of "throbbing" thing that goes on? anyone willing to run to their bathroom mirror real quick and see if yours do that? i just started on an anti-depressant med (lexapro) yesterday and i'm not sure if that's doing it. i've never noticed this throb before and i just want to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.

Closed Thread