It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #1

kj1169 HB User
Post Lexapro prescribed to quit smoking?

My dr. prescribed Lexapro to help me quit smoking today? I came home to research the drug and find out it's antidepressant?! Anyone else taking this drug for this reason? I'm kinda freaked out after reading all of the side effects. My doctor mentioned none of this. He said to take this for 2 weeks, quit smoking, then take it for three more weeks and I'll have no withdrawl.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:55 PM   #2
(female)

MJFrog1 HB User
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by kj1169:
My dr. prescribed Lexapro to help me quit smoking today? I came home to research the drug and find out it's antidepressant?! Anyone else taking this drug for this reason? I'm kinda freaked out after reading all of the side effects. My doctor mentioned none of this. He said to take this for 2 weeks, quit smoking, then take it for three more weeks and I'll have no withdrawl.

Hello,

The prescribing information indicates that Lexapro is "indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder."

There is nothing in the prescribing information that mentions anything about it helping you to stop smoking.

Maybe the doctor is using Lexapro "off-label." This means he's using it for another condition that perhaps he has had success with. For example, maybe 10 of his patients who took Lexapro for depression found out it made them stop smoking. (even though there's NO information about that in the prescribing information it helps you stop smoking). The doctor still could prescribe it for smoking cessation. That's what I mean about "off label." The doctor is using it for a reason other than what is indicated for per the product manufacturer.

Could the doctor have meant to prescribe Wellbutrin SR for smoking cessation? It's an anti-depressant as well but some physicians do that 'off label' thing again because Wellbutrin SR has the same ingredients as Zyban which is used to help people quit smoking.

The doctor should have mentioned to you that the intended use of Lexapro is for depression.

You had mentioned about being concerned about side effects. Even though I'm taking Lexapro for depression, I've had no side effects from it.

I hope I have helped a little. Sorry for the long and wordy post.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Meg28 HB User
Yes, I find that a little strange myself. I've never heard of Lexapro as an anti-smoking aid.

I was prescribed Wellbutrin 4 weeks ago for depression and I happen to be a smoker as well. I didn't really have any intention to quit but I'm down to 1 or 2 cigarettes a day now for the past few days. So this one definitely works. Bonus feature!

Meg

Old 04-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
(male)

clear HB User
Re: Lexapro prescribed to quit smoking?

Lexapro has caused me to smoke more.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Many people have quit smoking on wellbutrin, but I never heard of using Lexapro for it.
All Lexapro did was make me nauseous, I guess that might make you quit smoking if your nauseous 24/7!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
(female)

Chichi103 HB User

I started taking Lexapro for depression about 4-5 weeks ago and have noticed that my cravings for cigarettes have drastically decreased. In fact, today I just realized (after basically forcing myself to smoke yet again) I haven't been smoking more than 1 or 2 a day for the last week. I hadn't heard that Lexapro was used for smoking cessation but can't make any other connection!

Closed Thread