It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
(male)

misanthrope HB User
Post Celexa Side Effects

I was recently diagnosed with sociophobia and depression and was prescribed 20mg of Celexa. I've been taking it for 4 days now and have noticed that it is working great, but I am experiencing some of the side effects too.

I'm getting the diarrhea, drowsiness, loss of appetite and some teeth clenching too. The diarrhea isn't too bad because it isn't painful, it is more like a very loose/liquid stool. It's kind of inconvenient though cause I never know when I'm going to have it.

Does anyone know how long these side effects last? I know it will probably differ among people, but a ballpark figure is what I'm looking for. Surely the side effects can't last for a whole month?! Are we talking about a week? Or does it last longer than that? I don't know how long I can put up with the diarrhea.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the diarrhea? I've been drinking a lot of water, but that doesn't seem to help. Should I avoid dairy products and fruit?

[This message has been edited by misanthrope (edited 09-03-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 01:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Hi,

I remember when I first began taking Celexa the side effects lasted a few weeks, but they were nothing compared to the first few days. I was very dizzy, sleepy, nauseous... but after a few days that pretty much went away.

I wouldn't stress yourself out about it too much. Celexa's supposed to be AWESOME side-effect wise, so hope for the best and you won't have to deal with the side effects for too long. But talk to your doctor if they don't go away.

All the best,
Ashlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran

fallen HB User
Hi misanthrope, i just started taking celexa and was extremely nauseous and dizzy for the first 2 or 3 days but now it's gone..i'm still very tired but then again i was before i started the meds so i guess that doesn't count, my psychiatrist started me on just 10mg/day for the first week to get me used to it first and now has increased my dose now that the side effects are gone..i'm not sure if this was the same for you but i would say if the side effects are troublesome discuss it w/ your doctor & see what he says...good luck

Old 09-04-2003, 09:22 PM   #4
(male)

misanthrope HB User
Hey fallen, it's my fifth day. I'm still getting the diarrhea. I haven't read any comments by people taking Celexa getting the diarrhea...am I the only one? I am pretty tired most of the time now too. I see my doctor in a week, if I still have the diarrhea by then, I'll definitely talk to him about it, thanks!

Old 09-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #5
(male)

misanthrope HB User
My doctor didn't start me off on 10 mg/day. He started me on 20 mg/day immediately...so I think it's really screwing up my system. I noticed that I am a bit happier and able to carry on a coversation with people now. lol...is that just the placebo effect?

Old 09-05-2003, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran

fallen HB User
Hey misanthrope, i had the diarrhea too and it lasted a couple extra days..it wasn't bad though..really only once or twice a day and wierdly it seemed to come on around the same time every day..i didn't mention it because i also have what is called an irritable colon it's not so bad anymore it comes and goes but i'm used to the severe stomach pains and diarrhea i think i read that diarrhea is a side effect though..unfortunately. I guess the fact that you were started on 20mg right away probobly explains why it hit you harder/longer since i had side effects and i was started on half that amount but who knows?? Let us know how you're doing next week after you talk to your doc...oh and i'm glad that it's helping with your mood, i haven't really noticed much change yet so who knows? I hope it keeps working for you.Keep in touch and take care.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #7

thedog HB User
Misanthrope,
I know how you feel, i have been diagnosed with depression and i am taking effexor for that, i have had diarrhea for 6 days now, i want it to stop so bad, i think i might start to feel better when the diarrhea stops, it stresses me out so much.. let us know how you go

Old 09-06-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
(male)

misanthrope HB User
Hey fallen, I noticed that I am getting the diarrhea at the same time everyday too. I get it in the morning because I take the pill at night. That's kind of odd, but I'm glad I get it out of the way first thing in the morning. Then I won't have to worry about it during the day. I hope it keeps working for me too because I have really noticed a difference (and so have others)!

Hey thedog, I still have a problem with my stools. It's more like a loose stool now as opposed to a liquid diarrhea like I had at the beginning. I've been taking the pills for a week now and today my stool was a bit firmer. So I hope this is the end of the diarrhea phase. I still have some weird rumblings in my stomach though. Has the diarrhea stopped for you yet? And does your diarrhea give you a stomach ache? Because the diarrhea I got from taking Celexa did not hurt my stomach. It just turned my stools to liquid, but it doesn't hurt, which I found to be quite odd. But quite thankful for that, because if it was painful, I would be horrified.

Old 09-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #9

thedog HB User
Misanthrope
I am pleased that it is starting to subside for you, mine has not however, it is now 7 days. And yes I get it in the morning too. I take efexor in the morning and at night. I am on 37.5mg. I donít get much pain from it, just rumbling in the stomach and in the bowel (the bowel starts to rumble in the mornings about 2 hours before and after I go to the toilet) I have stoped taking the medication for a couple of days to see if it subsides, I hate the bowel issue, it depresses me even more. I have cut most foods but plain toast and mashed potatoes from my diet to see if this helps too. Let me know how you go. It is good to be able to talk to people about these sort of problems, and thank you for bringing up this issue.

Old 09-06-2003, 10:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
I forgot to mention, I also started on 20mgs a day for about the first week, then moved up to 40mgs. That was more than a year ago and only this last week have I had to begin taking 60mgs a day. For me, once the initial side effects are gone, they don't seem to come back again even if you have to increase the dose.

If you are still having side effects this far into taking the Celexa and it's beginning to worry you, talk to your doctor about it. More than likely though, they will all go away with time. Side effects can hit some people harder than others after all. I had a friend who had to take Prozac and could only bare it for little more than a week because of the terrible side effects. It's different for everyone.

Good luck!
Ashlee

Old 09-08-2003, 05:31 AM   #11

SReneeS HB User
Ashlee,

I was glad to see your post..My husband has been taking 20 mgs Celexa for the past 4 years. It has been a wonderdrug for treating his depression while not having the horrible side effects that he has had from other drugs.
In the past month all of a sudden he is not himself..not depressed but little panic attacks and lack of concentraion at work..he's not feeling at 100% as before. I have made doctor's appoinment...they may increase his meds. We are now living in another country...he has never seen this doctor. I'm glad to hear your doing well with your Celexa. It's a positive note hearing this..maybe he won't have to change meds again. We have been married 7 years...before we married he was taking prozac, then paxil, then zoloft and as I said the past 4 years celexa...it seemed as if the 20mgs were doing the trick up until now. Me, I've never suffered with migraines or depression, chemcial emblances it does worry me for him....this is why..I was so happy to see the med...still working for you..maybe it will for him too.

Thank You for listening!
R

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashlee:
I forgot to mention, I also started on 20mgs a day for about the first week, then moved up to 40mgs. That was more than a year ago and only this last week have I had to begin taking 60mgs a day. For me, once the initial side effects are gone, they don't seem to come back again even if you have to increase the dose.

If you are still having side effects this far into taking the Celexa and it's beginning to worry you, talk to your doctor about it. More than likely though, they will all go away with time. Side effects can hit some people harder than others after all. I had a friend who had to take Prozac and could only bare it for little more than a week because of the terrible side effects. It's different for everyone.

Good luck!
Ashlee

Old 09-09-2003, 04:36 PM   #12

thedog HB User
Unhappy

Misanthrope,
how are you going ? has your diarrhea stoped yet ?. mine is still going, i have been taken off Effexor and put on Ciprmil/Celexa, it is just as bad for me.

[This message has been edited by thedog (edited 09-10-2003).]

Old 09-10-2003, 12:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Hi, SReneeS.

Sorry to hear about your husband's depression. It sounds as though he has been suffering from this disorder for a very long time. I know how that feels!

Unfortunately, the reason I have had to increase the Celexa to 60mgs a day is because for the past two or so months, I have returned to my old depressed self. I have only been taking 60mgs for less than a week and have been on the med for more than a year.

I am awaiting for an appointment at the moment from the mental health clinic so I have to bear it until then.

I don't mean to be putting you off or making you feel discouraged by any means. Just felt the need to clear that up.

And really, what it all comes down to is what works for YOU (or in this case, your husband). No matter what luck or misfortune one person has had on one particular drug, it's not really saying anything about what it will do for you.

Maybe your husband DOES only need to have the Celexa increased to 30 or 40mgs, or maybe he needs to change meds altogether. Either way I'm sure you'll find something that works together and I wish you the best of luck.

One last thing, as I said before, your husband has been suffering from depression for a very long time and I am wondering if he has ever seeked professional help for his depression rather than just rely completely on meds? If not maybe you want to look into that, it really has helped so many people!

All the best,
Ashlee

Old 09-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #14

322284699mjn HB User
Smile

Diarrhea is better than depression, but if it gets too bad you may have to try another medication. Mine was so bad that I could not leave the house !

Another thought is to try an anti-diarrhea formula from the drug store and take it along with your meds.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:48 PM   #15

Babs66 HB User
Only side effect I noticed from Celexa was tiredness. I started off taking 20mg then increased to 40mg later.

Celexa helped me big time with panic attacks and depression. However, it took a few weeks to start working. Doc told me it would take that long. Therefore, I'm suprised you noticed any changes in your mood so quickly. But hey, whatever works!

Good luck and hopefully you can stick w/Celexa. I think it does wonders.

Babs

Closed Thread