It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

beachlady HB User
Question Has Anyone Found Any Books That Helped Them With Their Depression And Anxiety?

I Am So Lost, And Am Looking For Answers As To How I Can Learn To Deal With The Depression And Anxiety That I Feel.

Has Anyone Found Any Books That Were Helpful? I Am Grasping At Straws Here, Because Today I Am Not Feeling Well And Am Feeling Totally Lost.

How Does A Therapist Treat You? How Do They Really Find Out What Is Wrong With You, What Kind Of Depession And Anxiety You Have And How Do They Know If It Is A Chemical Imbalance In The Brain, Do They Do Some Kind Of A Test? I Have Not Been To A Therapist Or Phycharist In Many Years, So I Am Very Leary About Going For Help, Because I Dont Think I Will Be Able To Express What Is Really Going On In My Head And I Will Fool The Doctor And They Will Think Nothng Is Wrong With Me.

What Can I Do? What Have You Guys Done When You Go To See The Doctor That Was Successful? Did You Take Notes Of Your Feelings, What, I Am At A Loss Here And Have An Appointment To See Someone On 4/24!

Help Need All The Advise I Can Get.

Judi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

donkey3114 HB User
Re: Has Anyone Found Any Books That Helped Them With Their Depression And Anxiety?

I like the book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. It focuses on cognitive therapy but I find it to be extremely helpful. Plus, he gives you many different techniques so you can take and leave what works for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User
Re: Has Anyone Found Any Books That Helped Them With Their Depression And Anxiety?

Depression is a Choice: Winning the Battle Without Drugs
by Arline B. Curtiss

I haven't read this yet but have heard good things about it from several sources.

The Natural Way To Beat Depression by Dr Basant Puri & Hilary Boyd (2004), is also a great book.

You can get books, sometimes used, much cheaper on the top book sites. I'm not sure if it's okay to mention them.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
(female)

Rianna HB User

A book I found really helpful is: "10 Days to Self Esteem: How to Defeat Depression and Discover the joys of Daily Living in 10 easy steps" By David Burns, M.D.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
(female)

meredith100 HB User

The Imp of the Mind
Against Depression
Listening to Prozac
Love's Executioner
Mama and the Meaning of Life
all amazing

Old 04-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

NR15 HB User

"Depression is a choice"? That book would make for an excellent fire starter in my stove.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

harlequin HB User

Regarding "Depression is a Choice"- which is actually pretty scary. She posted an article by Dr. Daniel Goleman and appears to misrepresent Dr. Goleman and the Dalai Lama as being as anti-medication as she is, when that's not necessarily so.

But speaking of books, that book by Daniel Goleman with the Dalai Lama is, if nothing else, a good read, and may be of some help to some people, at least as far as insight into the process of depression is concerned. The name of the book is "Destructive Emotions- How Can We Overcome Them?". It talks about the differences in brain activity in Tibetan Buddhist monks, normals, and people with "destructive emotions" like anger and so forth, and how positive brain activity can be cultivated. There's another one that the Dalai Lama did with the psychiatrist Howard Cutler called "The Art of Happiness". They're both good reading, and the content may be of help to some people. The most important point in "Destructive Emotions", for those of you who might not otherwise read it, is that it talks a lot about the concept of "neural plasticity", which theorizes (with a lot of good data to back it up) that adults actually do grow new brain cells, which would mean that we're not all stuck with damaged brains from having been depressed. There apparently are ways to "reprogram" our brain circuity for better moods, and new brain cells grow in the areas that have to do with depression. They are both just plain good reading, too, to sort of take a break from being depessed.

And yes, I've spent this depressed period reading and surfing the net for information about depression.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2006 at 04:01 PM.

Closed Thread