It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 07:18 PM   #1

VictoriaJean HB User
Post Serotonin Test Results

Hi. I am new to this message board and am hoping someone out there has some information about the following...I went to my general doctor complaining about fatigue. He told me that a common cause of fatigue for a woman in her 30's is depression which causes the fatigue. I did not want to accept that answer. I agreed to take some blood tests, including a serotonin test. My blood work came back fine, but my serotonin levels came back much lower than normal. Has anyone taken a serotonin test and does anyone know if it is common to have lower than normal serotonin levels? I am at a point in my life where I was hoping to start a family soon, but now I am concerned about that. Thanks for any info.

Old 09-29-2003, 04:16 AM   #2

BethyM HB User
wow, when I asked if there was a way to measure serotonin, I was told no, there was no accurate way....But, you had one so hmmmm, if there was a test, I guess the pharmaceutical companies and doctors would be out some money, because a lot of trial and error with medications would be avoided....now I feel P***sed!....the only thing I can think of though, is serotonin is made in your brain and metabolized in your brain too, so I don't think you're supposed to have a lot of serotonin floating around in your bloodstream, so a blood test might not be accurate, I don't know, I'm no expert

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #3

VictoriaJean HB User
I do not now about the accuracy of the test either. However, you are required to refrain from certain foods for 36 hours prior to your test so there is no interaction. I was looking for some scientific proof about why I was feeling this way. I am scheduled to go see a psych next week. I have started to take L-Tyrosine (pre-curser to dopamine). My understanding is that after you use up your serotonin, you start to use your dopamine. I believe dopamine is responsible for your more extreme emotions (anger, uncontrollable laughter). L-Tyrosine (just like 5-HTP) is the poor man's version of an antidepressent, except it's a precusor to dopamine instead of serotonin. I take 500 mg three times a day on an EMPTY stomach (wake-up, mid-morn, mid-afternoon). I do notice some difference. I just started taking 100 mg of 5-HTP just before bedtime with food and I am not sure if I like that at all. I may go to everyother day, three nights and slowing get myself off. One thing I have learned is that you never jolt your body with this kind of stuff since you are playing with your BRAIN. This may all change once I go see the psych. I would like to find out other tests that can check for other things that can affect your serotonin levels, such as Estrogen. Understanding what causes low serotonin levels may be a difficult challenge, but I really think it is important to understand the root-cause. It could just be my stressful job! I am at the age where my husband and I want to start a family. I feel responsible for fixing this problem before starting a family. I am hoping there are others who have taken this test and can comment. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2003, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
I didn't even know you could test for serotonin levels in the blood. I was told it had to be done through a spinal tap, and everything I've read points in that direction. What were the reference levels and how did you rate?

Old 10-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #5

VictoriaJean HB User
5-Hydroxytryptamine Serotonin
Reference Range for Serotonin Serum

Males: 90 - 195 ng/ml
Females: 100 - 225 ng/ml

My level was lower than 100. I am not sure about the accuracy of the test. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #6

VictoriaJean HB User
5-Hydroxytryptamine Serotonin
Reference Range for Serotonin Serum

Males: 90 - 195 ng/ml
Females: 100 - 225 ng/ml

My level was lower than 100. I am not sure about the accuracy of the test. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Closed Thread