It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Brain "shocks", what the..?!! Help Please!

OK,

so I've heard the comments "it feels like my brain is doing somersaults" and "brain shakes/shocks" and when I started getting these weird, well, "shocks" in my head a few days ago I didn't think they would keep getting worse!

I quit taking 60mg Cymbalta on Sunday and started w/5mg Lexapro. I brought up to the good Dr. the known "side effects" of quitting Cymbalta (as can be similar but less intense than Effexor). Bless him for believing what he was telling me as correct, but he said those effects were from suddenly quitting the SSRI and the Lexapro would prevent it.

Everything is closed today so I can't get ahold of any doctors. I feel utterly like crap, and it's freaking me out to feel like my brain is being zapped with a taser from the inside out every 20 minutes.

This can't be healthy, does anyone know how long I can expect this to last, and is there anything I can do to make it stop? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

harlequin HB User
Re: Brain "shocks", what the..?!! Help Please!

Would you describe these a little more specifically (if you can)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish
OK,

so I've heard the comments "it feels like my brain is doing somersaults" and "brain shakes/shocks" and when I started getting these weird, well, "shocks" in my head a few days ago I didn't think they would keep getting worse!

I quit taking 60mg Cymbalta on Sunday and started w/5mg Lexapro. I brought up to the good Dr. the known "side effects" of quitting Cymbalta (as can be similar but less intense than Effexor). Bless him for believing what he was telling me as correct, but he said those effects were from suddenly quitting the SSRI and the Lexapro would prevent it.

Everything is closed today so I can't get ahold of any doctors. I feel utterly like crap, and it's freaking me out to feel like my brain is being zapped with a taser from the inside out every 20 minutes.

This can't be healthy, does anyone know how long I can expect this to last, and is there anything I can do to make it stop? Thanks.
Starting another medication won't necessarily rule out withdrawal from the previous medication. You should still taper off the Cymbalta.

If you are desperate, call your local pharmacist -- he/she should be able to advise you.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin
Would you describe these a little more specifically (if you can)?
I found some really big threads here regarding this "phenomena" and it seems to be very common. It also seems pretty common for the doctors to not know or understand very much about it.

I can't explain it very well except that if you've ever been shocked by a light switch or appliance enough to feel it go through you, that is how it feels in my brain, a bit of a jolt from time to time. It's like it goes through my whole brain into my ears, and then it sounds like there is a winged insect fluttering about next to my eardrum (it's pretty "loud"). Seeing how "normal" this can be and as I am not in any pain from it (except I do fear a little of fainting), I won't let it bother me unless it gets any more "unusual."

I had a few "shocks" yesterday over the span of a few hours, I just chalked it down to a dreamed sensation as I hovered on the edge of sleep in a lucid state, except that I couldn't quite get control of how to make the shocks happen.

It has been going on all day today with increasing frequency. (I recollect reading another poster had theirs timed down to every 20 seconds!) Hopefully it won't turn into a constant, now I am getting jolts every few minutes and it is rather annoying. I read that cold medicine may help. (Unfortunately I can't take any kind of cold or allergy stuff if I plan on doing any driving in the following 2 days!). I am not too worried, I have the feeling it would probably go away if I took even a single low dose of Cymbalta.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
(female)

Chrisdf HB User

I came off paxil and i called it shock therapy.....dizzy ,electric shocks ...yes they do go away mine took about 4 days hang in there

Old 04-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

harlequin HB User

That's wierd. Sorry that's all I can say- but apparently you can draw comfort from others having had it with no other ill effect.

Last edited by harlequin; 04-14-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

I've been reading these stories, by the thousands, for over 6 years. I don't "have fun" with any of it. I'm sure that the people who are having such a rough time aren't having fun either. Most have trouble getting off certain drugs, esp. Paxil and Effexor. Mellowfish is SO right about doctors not understanding very much of it. Often, they're no help at all.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
(male)

780FFM HB User

I have had these sensations when coming of of Effexor. They will go away in a few days. Hang in There

Old 04-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
(female)

maegsmom HB User

I have had to go off Paxil for days at a time due to the fact that I can't afford it. This is the longest I have gone (5 days) and each time I come off I feel those "shocks" only I refer to them as "blips". My eyes feel like they want to cross by themselves. It's mostly in the front part of my brain, whatever the heck is in there. I describe the feeling to people by telling them to squeeze their eyes shut as tight as they can and notice how it feels before you let go. I want off this stuff so badly.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
(male)

dave_81 HB User

I came off of zoloft recently and it took about two weeks for the brain- shocks to go completely.

Best,

dave_81

Old 04-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
(female)

Pyramid56 HB User

Mellowfish-

It has been almost 3 weeks since my last take of Cymbalta, and sorry to say but I still get those electrical shocks every now and then. Isn't as bad as it was in the beginning, and isn't as seldom. They will subside eventually but I know how you feel. It sucks but just remember it can't last forever!

You can actually see my post "Getting off Cymbalta..not fun" on the Fibromyalgia thread. I was on Cymbalta for about a year and decided myself to go off it. I was taking it for the my FMS but wasn't really sure it was working anymore.

Hang in there!

Old 04-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Crazy as the stuff was, I didn't suffer much at all , only about a good week. The scary part is when you start wondering if you are going to be stuck with them!

Wow Pyramid - 3 weeks, with having taken Cymbalta myself only for a little while it's conceivable that stopping it would be miserable. Withdrawl sounds horrible, but it's good to see you're through the worst of it. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
(female)

natsbabygirl HB User
Wink Re: Brain "shocks", what the..?!! Help Please!

I call it brain zapping. It's quite real I can assure you all. I have used Paxil, Effexor, and now Cymbalta and all three have caused brain zapping when quitting. Today is my first day going from 60mg of Cymbalta to 30mg. I'm weaning myself slowly. I was at a whopping 120mg daily and was completely depressed. I recently consulted with a nutritionist to discuss my gradual weaning off anti-depressants and I have found that going back to basics has helped me immensely. I am taking daily doses of Omega 3 Mood (fish oil) and daily doses of Vitamins E and B complex vitamins. I can't even begin to tell you the difference this is making for me. For the first time in 2 years, I was able to concentrate long enough to actually read a book in it's entirety. I can feel energy coming back to my body more and more every day not to mention what it's doing for my complexion. Sometimes, when I feel the edge coming on, I take L-theanine, a natural herb found in the leaf of green tea. This relaxes me, takes the edge off and also helps me get to sleep at night. Pharmaceutical companies have taken these natural vitamins and minerals and found ways to capitalize on them by making people like us completely dependent on them. Have faith all. We are not slaves to these drugs. I know there may be those exceptions and certainly there is a place for medicines in our society, however, I also believe that the majority of us just have to get our own bodies back in balance by giving our body nourishment and what it really needs.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
(male)

cherylsdanw29 HB User
Question Re: Brain "shocks, and Zymbalta - anyone else get a letter from Lily?

Thank you all who wrote about brain shocks. I have had these occasionally for several years, (have been on SSRI's for years)and it is really good to know what they are - the description for me is brain readjustment or something like that, but I do know exactly what you mean.

I have been on Cymbalta for a few weeks and am now tring to take myself off. Simply because the Dr. is not available to discuss this with and I do not want to take any more of it. Funny, though, I received a letter from Lily through my pharmacy with a bunch of info about Zymbalta - I thugh the jist was "stay on", but couldn't really tell what they were hiding in there. Anyone else?

Closed Thread