It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2003, 05:02 PM   #1

Bryan2Unkool HB User
Question Can SSRI's and stimulants (like adderall) interfere with eachother?

The reason I wonder is because when I take them at the same time, I have terrible depression and I still can't concentrate at all. I know they both affect the brain differently and i'm wondering if there's a chance one could be counter acting the other.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 07:34 PM   #2

oceanchic HB User
Arrow

Bryan2Unkool~
What are you currently taking? I have ADD and am currently taking Adderall 40mg a day. I just switched back to the regular from 60 mg a day of the XR. I think I am either going to switch back to the XR or change to concerta cause the regular adderall makes my depression/anxiety worse. My doc perscribed me Effexor XR to help with the depression/anxiety and ever since i have been scared to take it after reading some not so good things about it on the web. Anyways, I am glad to finally be able to talk to someone who is in the same situation as me. Hopefully we can help eachother out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 07:54 PM   #3

BethyM HB User
talk to your doc, many people take ssri's and add meds together....maybe different times of the day would help you though, or different med....my sis was taking prozac for depression and wellbutrin to help her ADD, which helped for a while....she is still on the prozac, and she has tried all the ADD meds', concerta, aderall etc...the XR kind and the regular, but they make her REALLY jittery so they didn't last too long....now she's still on prozac and strattera, which is supposed to be non-stimulating, however she wakes up A LOT at night, so we'll see how long that lasts...the upside...they do actually help her concentration

------------------
BethyM

Old 10-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #4

Bryan2Unkool HB User
well, I was just recently on 20mg of prozac and 20mg of adderall XR. I'm off of that now and about to start paxil and dexedrine. I need SSRI's for social anxiety disorder, not depression. Although sometimes I think the SSRI's make me depressed and change my personality to a much more boring one. I've tried wellbutrin and strattera, as far as i am concerned both of those (especially strattera) are useless when it comes to concentration...in fact just about the only thing strattera will do is make you feel like ****.

Old 10-22-2003, 06:31 PM   #5

oceanchic HB User
I couldn't agree more on the Strattera, I lasted about 2 weeks on that until I had to give it up. I have never felt worse in my life! Well good luck to you with your new meds. I hope they work out. I have heard good things about dexadrine in combo with anti anxiety meds. Let me know how it works!

Closed Thread