It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 11:44 AM   #1

Gilly Bean HB User
Post Starting Wellbutrin, what to expect????

I got perscribed wellbutrin two days ago for panic attacks, anxiety, confusion, and depression. I'm on 300 mg's a day (150 at breakfest, 150 at dinner). What side affects has anyone noticed with this one?

I was on Zoloft for a few months almost 2 years ago for PPD, and HATED that drug. It made me lathargic, I had no moods at all, really, I wasn't depressed, happy, sad, I was nothing. I also had no sex drive, and could not orgasm.

I am praying now that Wellbutrin is different. Could you please share with me some of your own side affects? I've heard dreams can become rather vivid on these, and on friend told me he can't take it at night because he can't sleep.

Old 10-25-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
I was very happy with Wellbutrin regarding side effects: none whatsoever. It was very helpful as an antidepressant but I still had some general anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2003, 02:14 PM   #3

purrsia HB User
I've been on this medicine for 2 weeks yesterday. I had a few problems at first...mostly major agitation and everyone in my household knew it, but that subsided within a week. I also suffer from panic/depression and I think this has done wonders for me. I feel happier and experience no anxiety at all. Plus, I'm more alert than before..BIG PLUS for me. Same with sex drive...its back. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2003, 01:48 AM   #4

Gilly Bean HB User
Well, it's day 3, and I think I can safely say it's effecting both my sleep patterns and my dreams. Last night, I managed to sleep until 7 am, but I felt so conciously aware of my dreams. It's hard to explain, but on a concious level, I knew I was in bed. I felt the bed, and I was 'awake' enough that if I 'needed' something in my dream, or to do something, I was telling myself to do it.

Gah. It's very difficult to explain, but you know when you sleep, the actual time you are asleep just passes like nothing? Like you fall asleep, and the hours seem like minutes? It hasn't felt that way these past two nights. It feels like hours. I lay there for hours, asleep, but partially awake.

It's frustrating because the lack of sleep almost always ties in with my more serious bouts of depression, like the thoughts that keep going don't stop because I can't sleep to make them go away.

Has anyone else had the weird dreams? Did they go away after a while?

Old 10-26-2003, 06:40 AM   #5

red98vett HB User
Wow - my side effects have been major sensivitiy to light and SOUNDS. agitated, bad moods, headaches, appetite problem either very hungry or not at all, and I just cannot sleep. I've been thinking this is not for me - and I was on the same dose as you. This has been 1-1/2 weeks on it and its not getting much better. Has anyone else felt all this? I don't feel like doing anything and when I have to do it - the way I feel affects it. Even little things. Like my Yorkie is my baby and the biggest thing in my life as far as happiness is and even her barking gets on my nerves which NEVER happened before. Makes me feel sooooo guilty for feeling that way toward her. I have to leave the room when she barks - and she is the light of my life (kids are moved out so she replaced them AND WHAT A CUTE REPLACEMENT SHE IS)!!

Old 10-26-2003, 06:42 AM   #6

red98vett HB User
Wow - my side effects have been major sensivitiy to light and SOUNDS. agitated, bad moods, headaches, appetite problem either very hungry or not at all, and I just cannot sleep. I've been thinking this is not for me - and I was on the same dose as you. This has been 1-1/2 weeks on it and its not getting much better. Has anyone else felt all this? I don't feel like doing anything and when I have to do it - the way I feel affects it. Even little things. Like my Yorkie is my baby and the biggest thing in my life as far as happiness is and even her barking gets on my nerves which NEVER happened before. Makes me feel sooooo guilty for feeling that way toward her. I have to leave the room when she barks - and she is the light of my life (kids are moved out so she replaced them AND WHAT A CUTE REPLACEMENT SHE IS)!!

Old 10-26-2003, 07:51 AM   #7
(female)

fiddledd HB User
Gilly,
I take 300 mg of wellbutrin also; 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg at lunch. My doc said that taking the second one too late in the day could interfere with sleep, so I try to take it by 2pm. Also, my doc tapered me up to the 300 mg, over several weeks or a month as I recall. I thought that was customary.I had very minor side effects over the first week or so, then again when the dosage ramped up to 300.

Did you start at 300 mg? I'm no dr., but I would think all kinds of (temporary) side effects, including disrupted sleep, could happen starting out at that dosage. I've been taking Wellbutrin for over two years, and it has worked better than any other AD for me for depression and a bit of anxiety. And it hasn't had any sexual side effects.

If I were you, I'd call my doc and report the side effects, see if you might taper up more slowly. Lack of sleep alone can cause all kinds of troublesome symptoms, and sabatoge your success in treating your original problem(s). My experience has been that medication can not substitute for sleep - sleep has proved to be the most important piece for me.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Keep posting so we know how you're doing.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:20 AM   #8

Gilly Bean HB User
To answer your question, no, I didn't jump right in at 300. My doctor told me to take 1 pill every day for the first 3 days, then up it to 2 a day, one in the morning, one before bed.

Just taking one in the morning already interfears with my sleeping, so I am thinking that I am definatly going to try and do as you suggested, and take #2 before around 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I'm also tempted to disregard my doctors orders, and go for a few more days on just 1 pill, because it's wrecking havok on my system. Or, at least more havok than I'm used to.

Old 10-27-2003, 06:46 PM   #9
(female)

fiddledd HB User
Just wanted to say that you know how you're feeling better than anyone else, and sometimes slower is better than faster with medication.
I know the Wellbutrin prescribing materials say the dosage can be increased from 150 to 300 as early as the 4th day, but different people's metabolisms react differently, and many doctors recommend going slower. Just my opinion here, but I don't believe a person usually has to suffer while trying to feel better.

Hope you start feeling better soon. Most especially, I hope you are soon sleeping well.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User
About 3 weeks ago, my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. Taking 150mg for the first 3 days, then upping it to 300mg.

I have awful side effects. It messed with my stomach so bad that I constantly felt nausious. I tried taking with food, then without food. Nothing helped.

I also had severe dizzyness. I can only explain it as an 'elevator' type of feeling. Like the weightlessness that you sometimes feel when riding in an elevator. This added to my nausia.

It made me so sick that I was throwing up most nights if I didn't eat dinner or after 5pm. Which is very hard for me to do because I play soccer 2 nights a week and work out the other days, so I am never home to eat.

I dropped down to 150 mg, hoping that would help. It didn't. I still had the side effects, but just not as severe. Although, I was still throwing up.

I spoke with my doctor and she had me stop the Wellbutrin yesterday and put me on Paxil CR.

I'm not sure about a lot of things now. First, is it safe to go from one ssri to another just like that?

Second, my main concern was weight gain. I don't want to gain weight. Doc says that I am so active, that I shouldn't have a problem.

I know everyone is different, but I pray that I don't gain weight. I know I am very active, but from reading others experience, that doesn't seem to matter.

I don't know if the Paxil CR is even going to work. I took the first pill a couple of hours ago. I'm not feeling too much different at the moment (as in side effects).

I do have a problem taking any meds though. They all seem to have (what I call) a 'reverse reaction' on me. I had to take Vicoden for a couple of broken ribs. It's supposed to relax your muscles... well, not me, it made me so wired, my heart was racing, I was up all night. My doctor also wanted me to try Trazodone along with the Wellbutrin. She said it would help me sleep. Nope... kept me up all night with the sweats and racing heart - total anxiety.

I'm rambling now. Shrug. I need something and it's frustrating me. I just don't want to gain any weight.

Gilly Bean, good luck. I hope the Wellbutrin works for you.

-Trooper

Closed Thread