It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Exclamation has CELEXA helped with your depression LONG TERM?

Hi guys i was wondering if Celexa has helped your depression, I have been on 20mg for the past 3 months and i see no change other than that it has helped my OCD thoughts, but i think i will hav eto raise the dose, can it be that with ssri's that they stop working after a few months and need to be upped? has celexa helped any of you long term while staying on the same dose.

Last edited by jennyVee; 04-28-2006 at 01:27 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

mizplaced HB User
Re: has CELEXA helped with your depression LONG TERM?

hi jenny
I have been on celexia (20 mg) for about six months and i find it has helped me a great deal.Some days i do still feel down and on those days i take an extra one.I usually take my normal dose at night so if i feel down during the early part of the day i have taken another and resumed normal dose at night again.I ve only done this a few times and if i find that i need to do it more often I am going to talk to my doctor. Different doses work for different people and its quite possible that you and/ or I may need to raise the dosage. Also if you are under a lot of pressure ,you may be feeling more stress than you have been. I did at one time tell my doctor that I had taken 2 extra doses in 2 days when i felt all panicky ,He didnt seem too worried,but he does know that I dont take medications of any kind unless i think I need it. I always ask questions when I see him. Any way the best thing to do is to ask your doctor about this and let him regulate your medication . Keep posting and let us know how your doing . Hope this helps answer your question
Take care Mizzy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi mizzy that is great news, so I can take more on the days that I dont feel that great? that seems pretty good maybe i can start taking 40mg sometimes because frankly i have been so depressed, I run a business from home and also have 2 small children/ a husband and a dog so I have a ton of stress.

anyway i was just afraid that maybe celexa stops working for me after a few months and i would need to keep on increasing them, anyway hopefully i can take more, i had no idea i could just take less for soem days and then go back to normal, once i tried to go back to 10 mg after being on 20 mg and i had a bad panic attack, so i guess you can maybe increase it with no effect but not decrease it, thanks again

Last edited by jennyVee; 04-28-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
(female)

mizplaced HB User

Hi Jenny
I dont think it would hurt but please remember everyone reacts differently so you really need to ask your doc about it.Dont change your meds on your own .always seek advice form your doc. These meds are nothing to fool around with and can have serious consequences.I can understand why you are stressed .You should really let your doc know about the stress you feel if you havent already. I told you about what I did but I am not advising you to do the same without checking with your doc. I just didnt want you to worry. I hope that things become less stressful for you .T ake care and keep posting. Mizzy

Old 04-29-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Hi Jenny,

I'm with Mizzy--doses affect different people differently. While 20 mg. may work all the time for one person, it may not for another. Often enough when a med seems to work for a short time and then seems to stop it's because it was an initial dose that needs to be upped. The other common reason to increase is a change (increase) in stress, or even your monthly AF, or the PMS part. DO talk to your doctor about what is going on with you and how your dose seems to have "stopped" working. S/he will know all the right questions to ask, and you will have all the information and concerns you want to convey.

Just FYI, Celexa's initial dose is 20 mg. and its top published dose is 40 mg., but if you are working with a psychiatrist they know more about it.
2 small kids, a dog, a work-from-home-job AND a husband?? Well, *I* don't know how you manage to work with 2 kids at home. Getting a shower before noon with small kids around is a major Olympic medal event!! Oh? Okay, it should be.

Let us know how it goes.

[Hi Mizzy!]

Closed Thread