It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
(female)

gimmeabreak HB User
Unhappy Wellbutrin XL - rash?

I started taking Wellbutrin XL about 3 weeks ago. Now I have a very irritating rash in random places over my body. The problem is that there are other possible reasons for it:

1 - I started taking another medication around the same time (a little later)
2 - I got my hair dyed the day before I broke out in hives, and my mother said she has had a similar reaction to hair dye.

My doctor recommended that I stop taking the other medication, so I did so a few days ago and thought the rash was improving. Today, however, it is worse than ever and seems to be spreading to my face a little (though you can't really see it - it just itches and I'm probably the only one who would notice the redness).

Here are the specific symptoms of the rash. Can anyone tell me if they experienced the same thing with Wellbutrin XL?:

-Started slightly over 2 weeks in
-Began as miniscule red bumps that itched - actually, the bumps and redness weren't noticeable at all until I scratched.
-Occurs in completely random places - neck, fingers, elbows, inner arm, sides of knee, ankle, even the palms of my hands.
-As of today, the "hives" have developed into more of little rashes. Still not very visable until I scratch, and then they turn red and little bumps develop. For the first time I am also noticing some bumps on my face...

I left a message for my shrink saying that I was going to stop taking Wellbutrin, which I really don't want to do because it was great for my mood and weight loss (I need to lose weight for medical reasons).

So now I am off 2 different medications that I really need to be on. Argh!

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User
Re: Wellbutrin XL - rash?

I found this warning about Wellbutrin. I know that all of the SSRIs can cause a couple of different rashes. One's called purpura and the other is maculopapular. I think that I've spelled those correctly. You can do a search and see if your rash is similar to either one of those.

<Stop taking WELLBUTRIN SR and contact your doctor or health care professional if you have signs of an allergic reaction such as a skin rash, or difficulty in breathing. It is not possible to predict whether a mild rash will develop into a more serious reaction. Therefore, if you experience a skin rash, hives, fever, swollen lymph glands, painful sores in the mouth or around the eyes, or swelling of lips or tongue, tell a doctor immediately.>

Old 05-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
(female)

gimmeabreak HB User
Re: Wellbutrin XL - rash?

Thank you for the reply Spin. I did look it up a little more and found the same thing. It just sucks because the other medication I'm on says pretty much the same thing, so I'm not sure which one I'm allergic to. i am stopping both of them, and made an appointment with my doctor for Tuesday. Hopefully I'll find some good alternatives.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread