It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User
Which medication has the least side-effects?

Hi!
I'm about to go and ask my doctor for a perscription, because I've been suffering for a while now - can't sleep or very shallow sleep, anxiety, nausea or no appetite, worry, hopelesness, headaches and muscle pains etc.
My most concern is insomnia, because of worrying.
I took Paxil in the past and it helped with anxiety and sleeping, but I really want to take someting else now. I didn't like how it made me feel like a Zombie and not being able to concentrate. Also there were sexual side-effects - not being able to have an orgasm while on it.
Which antidepressant has the least side-effects?
Thanks

Old 05-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Which medication has the least side-effects?

This question is pretty much impossible to answer as each antidepressant will effect people diffrently. Welbutrin is the one that people thinks has the least side effects for them

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User

moon- I wish it was that easy to find a drug that worked the first time, everytime. Unfortunately, it's like trg said. I could be on an anidpressant that worked great for me, and if you took it, there could be terrible for you.

Hopefully, a psychiatrits will be able to put you on a med program that will work for you the first try. (if he thinks you need meds)

I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon.

Take Care........Connie

Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

moonstruck, how long ago were you on Paxil? Possibly, you're still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. It can last a very long time. Some people have problems for months, even years.

Do you drink caffeine? It's a BIG culprit. Coffee, colas, even chocolate can really increase anxiety and cause insomnia for some people. The BEST way to fall asleep quickly and to ease an anxious mind is to get aerobic exercise every day for at least 30 minutes. Doing it twice, is even better. That might be hard for you. I often my bike 4 or so miles in the morning, then do 20 minutes on my elyptical trainer or jog in the early evening. When I go to bed, I'm much more tired and my mind doesn't race or dwell on things like it would otherwise. Really, get your heart beat up for a good half hour and day. It truly does help. If you do use caffeine, try to cut back as much as possible, at least till you feel better. SO many people who have anxiety, drink far too much coffee.

There is no psychiatrist who has a drug for you that he can say won't cause you more problems. There is no perfectly safe drug. The best thing to do is to try some searches for each drug. I often type, message board, after the drug or dangers after the drug or withdrawal. Many, many people also complain about Wellbutrin. I and countless others have learned that psych meds just are not worth the risk.

Good luck to you!!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

NR15 HB User

if withdrawal effects lasted years for people, I honestly don't believe these things would be on the market.. plus, drug co's would be bankrupt from all the lawsuits.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User

What a novel idea. Spin has a good point. We could use it better if we typed in the name of the drug...let's see. Type in lexapro benefits message boards. Another one could be zoloft success stories message boards. I think that could be helpful to everyone and we would get both sides of the story.
TC.............Connie

Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User

In all fairness, it's rediculous to think all AD's are bad. I have been on amiltriptyline for 20 years. Where are the side effects?? Some people truly don't have them. Others have to try a few to find the right one for them. No one is going to throw their ADs away. We are strong in our beliefts, just as you are strong in ours.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

Connie, all antidepressants are bad for some people. There is a possibility that your need for yet another antidepressant is actually a "side" effect of the first. I said a possibility. You might want to check out the side effects that relate to your current physical problems. Also, not everyone experiences the worst of what antidepressants have to offer at any given time. Side effects aren't necessarily constants. Most people suffer through very difficult withdrawals from certain drugs, most especially Effexor and Paxil, but there are some people who don't. I've never heard of a drug that harmed every single person who took it. It's about inordinate, excessive potential for harm that seems to be inherent in most psychiatric drugs.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Spin- when I was dx'd with depression 20 years ago, amiltriptyline was the first one my psyc put me on, and it has worked for all these years with no side effect. The reason for adding the lexapro temporairily is to let it's ability to work on both depression and anxiety. He thought this would be better than upping my xanax. He explained the who plan of treatment to my GP and me before he did it.

My depression is chemical, so an AD isn't going to help me do anything that isn't seretonin based. I lost my dad, found out I had cancer, had three surgeries, and much more. Like I said, an AD isn't going to help something that is situational, but it does have a calming affect on me, and that's all we're looking for right now. Then it's back to just the amiltriptyline.

I exercise by doing yoga every morning and again at night. I love to go on long walks, and some of the arobics I can still do, but I have to be very careful of my arm. I eat well. I gave up sugar a long time ago. I can't take credit for that because I just don't like it. I cook a lot of mexican food because that's what I was rasied on and so was my hubby. I love nice cold water in the summer time, but drink it all year. Occasionally, I drink coke or pepsi diet caffeine free cola. We always have a big garden and I love spending time in it every day in the summer. However, this year I'm going to be a slacker because of surgery. No canning or freezing foods freshly picked, either.

So when all is said and done, I trust my psychiatrist and I think I'm doing fine.
Connie

Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSunshine
In all fairness, it's rediculous to think all AD's are bad.

Well, all ADs have been bad for me -- and that covers almost 15 years of taking various ADs, and dealing with side effects, withdrawal, and discontinuation syndrome.

Last edited by SOE; 05-15-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

spin is right by stating all AD's are not good for some people. But some us will need meds for a short or long term basis. More than likely I will be taking meds for the rest of my life due to what I am like when I do not take med's. Currently I am taking alot of drugs which I am not happy with but it is helping me to get through the day.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread