It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

chrismom HB User
More DEPRESSED on PROZAC?!?

Hi

Just started taking Prozac 2 weeks ago (10mg) started feeling more depressed on it (switched from Cymbalta) so upped dose to 20mg and Depression is worse. I feel completely FLAT and UNMOTIVATED.

Has anyone had this experience with their AD? The Cymbalta seemed to be OK for me in this respect and I know Prozac is a similar med, so I don't know why this is happening???

Any help???

Old 05-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Inactive

Schupp1832 HB User
Re: More DEPRESSED on PROZAC?!?

It's a side effect. Read your insert. Drugs made me feel much, much worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

nikkaayy HB User

well i have to start taking prozac, probably today or tomorrow, and the doctor said the drug will make you more depressed, until your body is used to it, and it should start to be under control.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
(male)

RatPack78 HB User

I felt more depressed when I first started Prozac, but it started to work and now I feel happy! 20mg is what I take. Give it at least a month on 20mg. If it still isn't working, you may need more depending on what you and your doctor decide. You might also choose a different drug. I tried all of the SSRIs with little or no benefit and then I tried Prozac which is the first SSRI that worked for me. Everyone is different.

Best of luck!

Old 05-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
(female)

Whisper1960 HB User

My psychiatrist tried me on prozac about three years ago. The first couple of weeks I felt a change. I was talking more. Probably more than people around me cared for. I was on it two months and doing fairly well, but it was time for an increase. When I went up to 40, within a few days I started having bad panic attacks.

I think it would have been a good med for me if I didn't have anxiety along with the depression. I'm sure it even works on some that do have it. I was disappointed because I was doing well on it and had to stop.

I wish I didn't have to take meds, but at my age since I was dx'd at 19, my psyc says I probably will. I'm on an old antidepressant now and it works just enough to keep me from laying in bed all day, unable to get up.

Many have had good results with prozac.

Best Wishes,
Whisper

Old 05-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

I was on Prozac for one month, a few years ago. It was absolutely awful. Depression got worse, especially the agitation and irritation aspects..

Don't worry though, if it doesn't work, there are plenty of other meds out there, and it's more likely than not that you'll find one that helps you.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
(male)

RatPack78 HB User

It's weird that it can cause panic attacks, because it's indicated for panic disorder! I had a psychiatrist tell me tho that it can cause agitiation/irritability. It has calmed me tho, go figure.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #8
(female)

chrismom HB User

Do any of you take generic Prozac? Ive heard that it may not be as good. That's what I take.

I do feel that the agitation/irritability is worse. Most SSRI's though HAVE calmed me. I've tried a lot and cant stand the side effects of most. Particularly the weight gain. I've been really trying to eliminate sugar since I started taking the Prozac and hoping that it will help not to gain weight. I find that I crave sugar on many of these meds.

The only SSRI that I haven't taken is Celexa, but I've tried Lexapro and it made me really hungry and gain like 10lbs.

Thanks for all your input. So are you guys on brand name or generic for Prozac???

Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
(male)

RatPack78 HB User

I take generic prozac and it works fine. There's no way I could afford brand name to begin with. $8 a month for generic versus over $100 a month for brand name...that's a no-brainer.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
(female)

chrismom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSoul
I was on Prozac for one month, a few years ago. It was absolutely awful. Depression got worse, especially the agitation and irritation aspects..

Don't worry though, if it doesn't work, there are plenty of other meds out there, and it's more likely than not that you'll find one that helps you.

Was wondering if you found a med that finally worked for you? Maybe if Prozac affected us the same way then the same meds that helped will too?

CHris

Old 05-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

ChrisMom
Here you are.............I will tell you we are going thru the same thing ............I just posted it for you on the other thread. Have you called your Dr. My experience is maybe the first 2 weeks I will feel more agitated and then it is better but not here.........I have also been on them all. Zoloft made my mood wonderful but my anxiety awful and I also gained weight on that.......like I could not stop eating.......let me know how you are today.

Rashelle

Old 05-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mystic_star HB User

i just got back on Prozac after being off of it for a while and boy what a difference! My mood is so much better and I seem to be able to tolerate things better. A bonus....I've lost 8 pounds since starting back on it!! Prozac has always kept my weight down because it seems to lower my appetite (especially for sweets). When I get off of it even for a few weeks, I'm hungrier and gain the weight right back! It works very well for me! I also take the generic (fluoxetine) and it works just fine!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Chrismom,

I'm pretty sure I responded to you in another thread, but for the sake of completion, I'll respond here too.
Yes, I am on my 6th day of Wellbutrin (I've posted about this in other places too) and am having a lot of success with it so far... It *does* cause me to be more hungry, however, *but* so far I have lost a couple pounds on it nonetheless.. So maybe it just speeds up your metabolism or something.

As far as clinical trials for Wellbutrin goes, a significant number of people (20-30%) lose 5+ lbs while on it.. And as far as weight gain, I'm pretty sure it was like 1% noticed weight gain; however, 2-3% had weight gain on the placebo... So it appears that on wellbutrin you are slightly less likely to gain weight on it than you are taking nothing at all, and you are MUCH more likely to lose weight on it than you are if taking nothing at all.

But again.. statistics don't always speak to us the way personal stories do.. and my story so far is: appetite increase --> daily caloric intake has increased; but weight decreased.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
(female)

chrismom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSoul
Chrismom,

I'm pretty sure I responded to you in another thread, but for the sake of completion, I'll respond here too.
Yes, I am on my 6th day of Wellbutrin (I've posted about this in other places too) and am having a lot of success with it so far... It *does* cause me to be more hungry, however, *but* so far I have lost a couple pounds on it nonetheless.. So maybe it just speeds up your metabolism or something.

As far as clinical trials for Wellbutrin goes, a significant number of people (20-30%) lose 5+ lbs while on it.. And as far as weight gain, I'm pretty sure it was like 1% noticed weight gain; however, 2-3% had weight gain on the placebo... So it appears that on wellbutrin you are slightly less likely to gain weight on it than you are taking nothing at all, and you are MUCH more likely to lose weight on it than you are if taking nothing at all.

But again.. statistics don't always speak to us the way personal stories do.. and my story so far is: appetite increase --> daily caloric intake has increased; but weight decreased.

THanks for your response. It's good to know that you have found a good combo for you. One thing I did like about the Wellbutrin was the increase in libido, because mine is usually non-existent. I have considered taking it in a small amount with the Prozac for that reason. Plus sometimes I have a couple of drinks on the weekend and I heard you're not supposed to drink on it. I was obsessing over it, so thought it best not to change meds since it was causing me anxiety.

How much WB do you take?

Chris

Closed Thread