It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

Jules72 HB User
Unhappy Lexapro..pros and cons

I just started Lexapro...10mg for 6 days....going up to 20mg soon. So far have not noticed much difference except for sleepiness and lack of energy.
Am concerned about weight gain most of all....don't want to gain but reading the posts, it affects people differently. Wellbutin seems to be popular and wonder why doctors don't use it more. I did well on Prozac years ago but chose to try something different. I guess it is trial and error. Would appreciate comments. I want to give this a fair try but need encouragement.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Ariesladi25 HB User
Re: Lexapro..pros and cons

hey jules72,

I am on lexapro day 7.... i used to be on it a while back but took myself off of it, which i do not suggest doing, and i got worse... i am now back on it. so far just tired and my face seems to be breaking out, not sure if its from meds or not... I seems to help a little as i recall, you ahve to give it time.... I am very worried about weight gain as well, i do not remember how much i gained from lexapro in general, but i did gain from others....

Hope this help a little!
take care,
amc23

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

Jules72 HB User
Smile Re: Lexapro..pros and cons

Hi, AMC...thanks for replying. I know it takes time for meds to work...I learned that when I was on Prozac. My husband just told me he sees a difference in that I am not as irritable as I was. I weigh myself once a week on Fridays so that will be a clue. I am going to give it a good trial and then there can always be a change....thanks again...Jules

Old 06-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Hi, I have diagnosed Cyclotymic, which is a kind of Bipolar. (So I have been posting in the Bipolat section) Most of my problem was lack of energy and I felt low most of the time, just blah. Always tired, with no reason. Then sometimes I would get a spurt of energy and started trying to catch up with whatever I left for later or could not deal with.

I have been taking Lexapro for 3 weeks, going on 4, I think. For the first 3 days I was feeling drunk and could not think. Then I was feeling really sleepy, inevitably and terribly sleepy all the time, and still useless. Then last week, I got 3 to 4 days of really energetic, and happy-go lucky feeling. I felt just great, and was really looking forward to getting better. Then I went down again, and got sleepy.

Now I am in the middle, just like I was without meds, but with a change. I stopped craving junk food all the time, and eating garbage. I am not going nuts over food and eating so much candy. I drink one cup of coffee and one diet coke a night (I work nights) today I had 2 diet cokes. I have been eating vegetables and fruits without fighting myself about it. I have lost 3 pounds already, and feel good about it.

I have been able to go to the gym a few times already, I will keep trying to make time for it. I have been thirsty and been drinking water, which is really good for me. I feel like I have more control over my cravings. I also noticed my sex life has changed a bit, I am less preocupied and self concious. I usually am really anxious and worry a lot. Not that bad anymore.
I have heard alot of good things about Lexapro, and a lot of bad.

So I will ask my original doctor about it, I hope he can give me a consultation through mail, since I am so far away. The doctors here don't seem too concerned about what side effects I may have or what damage the meds could cause. They just want to get me well fast.

I also feel like mi mind is working better, I have more of an attention span and can think clearer, I still remember things wrong sometimes, and very distractable, but much better.

I hope the medication works good for you, take a look in the Bipolar section, there's more info on Lexapro. I have been looking for info there too.
Keep updating your post, best wishes.
Strawberry

Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
(female)

janet65 HB User

I have been on Lexapro for a week now. I too am yawning all the time and so very sleepy. I was hoping this was just until I got used to the meds. I can't go around being sleepy all the time. Although I will say I am less irratble then I was last week. I have not experianced any weight gain but I have noticed I am hungrier than I used to be. Since I am severely depressed I thought the lack of appetite is due to the depression and now that I am feeling better my appetite is back. I have been thinking of stop taking the pills since I can;t shake this sleepy feeling. Can anyone tell me if this feeling goes away as I continue on the meds? I had been on prozac before but felt numb. I did not have any feelings, felt like a zombie. Neither sad not happy nothing so I decided on a different meds

Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
(female)

bcostig HB User

I've been on Lexapro 1 week. My doctor started me on 1/2 pill (10mg) the first 4 days and now I'm on a whole one each day. I definitely have noticed feeling sleepy and having no energy. I would also like to know if this is temporary. I basically have no ambition at all...which makes it hard to go to work every day! They told me it would be 3 weeks before I'd feel any difference for my depression, so I'm trying to stick it out at least that long.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

For me the sleepiness did get better. I yawned ALOT and looked so foward to going to bed. One thing that I do notice is if I have more things to do and take care of I don't get sleepy.(I'm a housewife) I'm one of those people that like to sit down with my cup of coffee in the morning and have quite wakeup time but if I sit too long I get sleepy and lathargic. Am I making any sense??
So my point I guess is if you give into it you will be tired and sleepy. I've been on it two months and that has lifted some. Good luck

Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

I have been on Lexapro since May 24. I was really sleepy for the first two weeks. I felt really good for a few days, then sleepy again. Now I am O.K. Not sleepy all the time and have more energy. I am not hungry all the time as I used to be. Now I can eat better.
It just takes time to get adjusted to it. You may need to give it a chance to work.
Please don't stop taking your medication without speaking to your doctor first, it is dangerous to just stop.
I hope you feel better soon. Keep posting.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
(female)

Jules72 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Lexapro..pros and cons

I took 20mg today, the first time and feel pretty good. I work two days a week and seemed to be able to concentrate better today. I even had enough energy to grocery shop after work. My anxiety is fading and I almost feel normal which is a plus. I am going to give Lexapro a good try. Prozac affected me the same way, numb that is why I wanted to try some thing newer. If I continue to feel better this may be the med for me. But, I know that it is too early to tell. I am letting my husband in on my feelings and how hard I am working to get better. He is so understanding because I am not stuffing my feelings and shutting him out. Hope everyone experiences good things in the days to come. It helps to communicate with others who share mental health issues. It runs in my family and I have suffered depression and anxiety since I was a child. But, they did not know how to treat it then. Medical science has come a long way in understanding but there is still a lot to uncover. bless you all..

Old 06-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

It takes a while to adjust. I felt terrible for the first several weeks. It's been over a year now I take 20mg a day and feel fantastic!!
I went through a period in the beginning where I wanted to eat but that did pass so knock on wood NO weight gain.
I was prescribed it for depression, GAD and the worst of the lot for me Agoraphobia. I now lead a totally different life
Give it some time and let your body adjust. I hope it works for you in the end.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
(male)

GHGore HB User

I just got switched off of Lexapro to Prozac.

I took it for about 5 weeks up until 3 days ago but it gave me a great deal of lathargy and a loss of mental clarity.

When I talked to a psychiatrist about it on Tuesday, he said he usually has his patients take it before bed instead of the morning (as I believe my GP had me taking it).

He initially suggested trying the Lex at 20MG but I just thought it would be an idea to see if a different one would not give these sorts of lows and energy loss. He said it's common with some people for Lex to do that.

Sometimes it's just trial and error.

Closed Thread