It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
(male)

BPguy HB User
Reverse Seasonal Affective disorder

I'm pretty sure I have reverse SAD. I had problems with depression since childhood but for the most part my depression has been absent since about age 25, (I'm 31 now) except for when it's hot. I actually get practically euphoric in the winter time, especially when it rains, but whenever its over 80 degrees or so, I get very fatigued and tired and depressed. Air conditioning sometimes helps, but I usually need to be completely isolated from the outdoors and have very chilly air in order to feel normal. Right now it's about 85 degrees outside, pretty cool in the house I'm staying at but I still have no energy and I'm dreading going outside. I feel slightly nautious in the heat too, and have trouble concentrating. Anyone else have this problem? and more importantly does anyone have any sucess in dealing with this? I've got a long hot summer to look forward to in this hell hole known as southern California, and I'd like to not be too miserable this year. I'd appreciate any advise!
Thanks.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Inactive

Rhiannon163 HB User
Re: Reverse Seasonal Affective disorder

Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world who felt that way. Every June, I get anxiety, and generally feel like crap. I absolutely hate the hot weather, especially when it's humid. It makes me feel like I'm suffocating. It took me quite a few years to figure out what was happening and make the connection to the weather. I wouldn't go so far as to say I get euphoric in the winter, but I definitely feel more "normal" during that season. My mother actually just mentioned an article she recently read, about people who suffer from SAD in the summertime. I'm going to try and do some research on this topic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
(male)

BPguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon163
Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world who felt that way. Every June, I get anxiety, and generally feel like crap. I absolutely hate the hot weather, especially when it's humid. It makes me feel like I'm suffocating. It took me quite a few years to figure out what was happening and make the connection to the weather. I wouldn't go so far as to say I get euphoric in the winter, but I definitely feel more "normal" during that season. My mother actually just mentioned an article she recently read, about people who suffer from SAD in the summertime. I'm going to try and do some research on this topic.

Cool I will do the same. If you find anything regarding treatment could you post it here? I will do the same. I've only found treament for the winter version so far...

Old 06-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

Sanchez1 HB User

I didn't even think about this! I know I get extremely depressed come afternoon/evening when it is super hot/sunny here. I can't stand the heat either, and don't like going outside when its this hot (107 today!) Funny, because I started feeling depressed when it began getting hot, mid-May.

Very interesting!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

sorry but probaly a dumb question, do you think it could be allergies? I always thought SAD was caused by lack of natural light

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread