It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

ndb1 HB User
Nortriptyline

Anyone taken this medication? What was your dosage and how did it take before you could feel the effects? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

drytear HB User
Re: Nortriptyline

Hi I have been on Nortriptyline for almost 3 months I worked up to taking 75mg. but, my dose was lower as it was used to treat headaches. It did not treat my headaches and now I'm coming off of it...slowly, I am now down to 25mg. as of tonight!

I'm not sure how depression, I would thing that becuase it is one of the older drugs used to treat depression (Tricyclic Antidepressants, first depression med.) but, it could work everyone is different and reacts differntly.

While on Nortriptyline I became depressed though I'm not sure if it was the caused by the Nortriptyline or becuase of chronic pain.

I didn't have any side effects untill I was tkaing 50-75mg. All I had was dry mouth, and it cuased my blood pressure to drop untill I was getting really dizzy.

Kepp track of your side effects and be prepared to give it time to work.

If it's dosen't you can dicuss trying a SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors).

Or you could consider Wellbutrin which the neurotransmitters; dopamine and norepinepherine.

(but if you all ready tried the one's I've listed, there are lots of options and you might even have to combine different ones)

But, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that that Nortriptyline will work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

WeepingWillow19 HB User

I don't know if this will help you at all, but I thought I would tell you my experience. I have been on amiltriptyline for almost 30 years. It's a tricyclic. I started out on 50mgs taken at bed time. It has a sedative in it and that's why it's taken when you are ready to go to sleep.

It helped my depression tremendously. Over the years it was raised in mg's to a theraputic level. Now I take 200mg and it's working great. I don't think anyone should start on more than 50mg's. I slowly worked up to 200.

I was on lexapro for four months, but stayed on the amiltriptyline, also. Since SSRI's don't work on me, I'm glad amiltriptyline is here.

The only side effect is dry mouth. You will never catch me without a bottle of water in my hand.

I hope this helped a little bit. I know I straye from the actual topic, but I wanted to put down my experience with tricyclics.

Please take care and keep posting. I wish you the best!......WW

Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
(male)

ndb1 HB User

Thanks for all the replies anf the kind words I hope it works too.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
(male)

androidcatdog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb1 View Post
Anyone taken this medication? What was your dosage and how did it take before you could feel the effects? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi, all I LOVED Pamelor/Nortriptyline! My sex drive was through the roof. I had trouble sleeping, though. No major side effects. (FYI, Tylenol PM gave me an incredible high, very sexually aroused. I abused it so much, though, that it gave me kidney stones- worst pain of my life. Avoid Tylenol PM at all costs!)

Closed Thread