HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Want to Try Wellbutrin...but afraid... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/402561-want-try-wellbutrin-but-afraid.html)

Slapstick 06-19-2006 02:47 PM

Want to Try Wellbutrin...but afraid...

Hello everyone...

First off i am a 21 year old male.

I've been what i would call "depressed" since the teenage years, and it doens't seem to go away... it was a lot worse around 17 and 18, but has gotten a little better...

i am never happy (maybe for half a day every 3 months i actually feel happy)... i mostly always feel a mundane indifference... but i feel sad easily, and get down easily... simple things can become a big deal to me, and i can't let stuff go...

I am currently in a relationship with a wonderful girl and we are engaged to be married in a year, and i know my feeling (possibly) depressed affects our relationship... i rarely can be a happy energetic person...

But i don't know if it truly is depression... i was prescribed wellbutrin by my family doctor a couple of years ago but didn't want to take it becasue the tought of becoming dependant on a medication scared me... but i think now i want to try it, becasue i'm just not feeling better...

but i keep asking myself... is it really depression or does everyone just feel the way i do? if i'm not actually depressed, and just think i am, and take medication will it hurt me?

i'm afraid of medication... i'm afraid of the possible side effects and the dependancy that comes with medication... I'm afraid if after 6 months i want to stop, i can't just simply stop... i have to wean off onto another drug, then off that drug, and then finally off meds...

My doctor prescribed me wellbutrin a couple of years ago but i didn't take it due to my fear, and deciding to just cope with it myself besides getting "dependant on a drug" or risking it screwing me up worse...

I hear wellbutrin has the lowest side effect chances which is why i want to try it...

I suppose i can go on the way i feel now... but i want to be a happier person so badly...

Can i try medication and if it doesn't work... stop.. with no permanent "screw up your mind things" from stopping it? i want to try it, but i am terrified of it making me into an even worse person than i am right now...

Thank you all for reading, and for your input...

Jennita 06-19-2006 03:03 PM

Re: Want to Try Wellbutrin...but afraid...

I think your fears are well-founded. Wellbutrin's only advantage is low risk of the sexual side effects compared to other ADs'. But it has alot of it's own risks and side effects.

Fish oil and regular, vigorous exercise are clinically proven to help depression. Good diet with lots of tryptophan foods help, as tryptophan is what converts to serotonin, the feel good chemical.

Drugs that are psychoactive just tend to manipulate, overstimulate the receptors and chemicals already available but can later cause downregulation, desensitization of those receptors(tolerance) and even cell death. They do "work", however, especially in the beginning because they stimulate the nervous system, like taking an upper. It's uncertain who can get on/off them easier or not or who will suffer from side effects the most.

It's up to you, but keep in mind downregulation, tolerance, side effects, adverse health effects are going to be part of the picture.

trg247 06-19-2006 03:38 PM

Its my believe that meds should be used after all other options have been tried and crossed out. I need to take meds and I know I will probaly take them indefinately. Use Jennita advice for a while before you start considering drugs.

good luck
trg247

Jennita 06-19-2006 08:01 PM

Thanks Trg247, and you could be right that you might need meds forever but I tend to be optimistic when it comes to recovery from meds so I just want to say, don't give up hope that someday in the future you might be able to wean off your meds or at least not take as many or high doses if you give it a try, it's not impossible (many have done it).

Anyway, I wish you good luck with everything no matter what you do decide. :angel:

marian100 06-20-2006 03:09 AM

have you tried counseling? that would be the first choice. your counselor could assess you and then you could make a better informed decision. if you can function without them that might be the way to go.

Slapstick 06-20-2006 01:55 PM

i'll never do counseling...

i can function without them i suppose... i just feel that i could feel so much better though and function a lot better too...

thank you all for your replies... i suppose i will see how it goes... i am taking fish oils and i go to the gym about 4X a week so i get the exercise part... the fish oil i am taking is the Omega+ Joy i believe... honestly i don't notice a difference, but i havn't been taking it too long... only a month maybe...

i've heard St. Jons Wort helps aswell?

trg247 06-20-2006 05:01 PM

st.johns wort helps people who have for lack of a better word simple depression. Oh if you start taking prescription drugs stop taking st. johns immediately they don't play well with each other

take care
trg247

kittywitty 06-20-2006 05:32 PM

Slapstick -

You have to give any 'natural' remedy that you try time to work. Any kind of herbal or vitamin products will take more time to work than a prescription. I'd say within three months you should notice a difference. IMO, though, if it works for you, it's all worth the wait. Stay away from the scripts if you can, too many side effects. I've been on my share of ADs and it's not fun. Good luck. :)