It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Inactive

curlyboo999 HB User
Anybody dealing with depression and anxiety no meds?

I have been dealing with it for a while now and I really want to know...is there anyway to push through it off medication? I mean, today I had no interest in anything. I was anxiety ridden and a mess. I hated my life. There are many reasons why I am not on medication, i am still on debates on whether I should go on them or not. For the people struggling, what do you do when you feel like you might lose control? How do you get by in your day? Methods, hobbies? It's hard to find a hobby when you are in a "I am not interested in anything" mood. I just need advice on how to get by.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Anybody dealing with depression and anxiety no meds?

I have been living without meds for 19 months now. The first year off was difficult because coming off all the meds really exaggerated the anxiety. In fact, before I understood what was happening, I wound up in the hospital having my heart tested because I couldn't breathe.

But I am doing better and better. It takes a lot of things... good counseling, getting lots of rest, eating healthy (giving up sugar and caffeine), exercising. It takes all these things, not one or two -- in my opinion.

But I wouldn't not go back on meds for anything. Because it feels so good, to "feel" again, and to feel physically better as well as emotionally.

Take care.

SOE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Ariesladi25 HB User

hey there curlyboo999,

I am sorry you are feeling so bad. I too, debated for a long time about whether or not to stay on meds.. i didnt have a problem starting them, but i never seemed to stay on them long, i think its because i would start reading about possible side effects and freak out.. then i felt worse once i stoped taking them... i figure for me, i should give meds a shot, it cant hurt me...

but everyone is different and some people do deal with it in there own way.... for me, i had no interest in anything at all, but this year i planted a very nice flower garden and everyday i go outside and water my flowers and watch tem grow, may sound stupid but it seems to really help me be happier.. i wont lie there are days still when all i do is stay in bed with the curtains dwarn... i just recently started taking buspar for anxiety/depression... i really hope it helps. i am willing to give it a shot, i guess its cause i am in the worst state of depression i ever had...

Maybe you can try something like taking a walk, or listening to a cd you like, or reading a book....
i am sorry i cant offer much advice but these are somethings you may try!
hope you feel better
take care,
amc23

Old 06-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dokken HB User

Hi-
I have been dealing with it since I was 16 and I'm about to turn 40. Some days I just wish I was dead although I've never been Suicidal..just wish I woulnt wake up. I just think everyday tomarrow is another day and it will be better. Just try to think that way and not get to obsessed with it all. Try reading or something you like to do. I hope you feel better and you arent the only one with no meds..I have a phobia about meds and side effects so althoguh I've been prescribed meds I've never taken them...

Old 06-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
(female)

WeepingWillow19 HB User

I know you're having a hard time deciding to take meds or get through your depression without them. Of course, it's always best to not go the AD rounte if you don't have to do it.

I don't know what my life would be like without meds. I have been on my AD for almost 30 years. I know it started with me not getting out of bed. Not being able to take a phone call, not want to do anything but lay in bed because that's the only thing I could do well. The things people suggest are very good, but I couldn't do them. Reading a book....couldn't concentrate or stay still that long. Relaxing in a hot tub....couldn't imagine walking from my room to the room the hot tub was in. Going for a walk....too much stimuli. All the noises and sounds would have made me cover my ears. I tried working a puzzle but it took too much thinking for me. No eating or sleeping. Just curled up in a bed, usually in the fetal position.

My dr and psychiatrist put me on an AD and from then on I could enjoy life, keep a job, be a good mom, and hated staying in bed.

If your depession allows you to do any of those things, I would suggest not taking meds yet. If you have one little scrap of something to grab onto, by all means do it. I am wishing you the best and hoping you can kick this and possibly your depression won't come back again. Good Luck! Keep us posted please........WW

Old 06-20-2006, 01:19 AM   #6
(female)

benzos HB User

I think you really have to weigh up your persoanl pros and cons on this subject. I have been off anti depressants for 5 months and am trying to handle the emotions head on by confronting them. I continue to take valium for panics but weaning myself very slowly off these now so i can confront he panics too. I have spent a bout 24 years on meds and I am no better today than I was, sometimes I am worse so i truly beleive they are not the answer and I personally want to find the answer for me and lead a normal life.
The only time I think AD are a must are when the depression has gone to its lowest point, the point where you can see no way out. If a person is having suicidal thoughts I think short term usage is a must. That is the only reason I would go back on them now. Anything else I will try and deal with. I hate the side effects and the fact that at the end of the day they are rather like painkillers. They take away the pain/symptoms but they are not a cure. I say this more for the longstanding sufferers of depression, ie chronic depressives.

benzos

Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

20 years ago before ssri's i went through 2 depressions with anxiety on valium alone. then i had another one and was put on sinequan, a tricyclic. for me the anxiety is always worse than the depression. i lost 40lbs in 2 months with one depression. i have a hard time taking antidepressants. cant take zoloft or prozac. just tried wellbutrin. you can get through it if you can still get out, have a support system, counseling. it's tough but it can be done. good luck and bless you.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #8
(female)

WeepingWillow19 HB User

Qick note sort of off subject.

Marian, I don't do well on the SSRI's either. I have been on a try tricyclic AD for almost 30 yrears and it still works. I have had the mg's upped a couple of times. Amiltriptyline (elavil) is the one I was on. The only one I couldn't handle is the one you're on. sineaqan. It made me feel like my skin was crawling on the inside. Stll it was because of sinequan, that I found amiltriptyline. Funny how different our systems work, huh??

Benzo's. I was put on valium for my depression. It was the pill of the day when I had it. You just gave it to a woman to shut her up. I'm positive that's not how it is in your case. It was called "mommie's little helper." When my family dr decided I didn't need them anymore he told me to stop taking them and they were not addictive. UGH!! I honest tried everything I could to get off them but I was reduced in doseage way too fast. He gave me a week to get off of them.

You know the key. It's 2006 now. Slow is better. It may take a while but I know you can do it.

Just wanted to add that note. Good Luck to all. .....WW

Old 06-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
(female)

WeepingWillow19 HB User

apology

I worded a sentence in my last post,the one above this, exacly the opposite way I meant to say it. CORRETION: it was meant to go something like this.....

If you can do anything listed above, don't start AD's. If you have found one little scrap to hang onto, you can do it.

I'm sorry for the mistake. I hope you see this.....WW

Old 06-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
(female)

dorothys HB User

Yes! I went to a homeopathic doctor and he has done more good for me than any other doctor I've ever been to. The natural remedies they prescribe have no side effects and they work great. You might have to try 2 or 3 different ones before you find the right one for you. It's very personalized treatment.

What I did was stayed on my AD's until I was sure the homeopathic remedy was working, then I tapered off the AD's, so I didn't have to suffer while waiting to find the right remedy.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

I grapple with this issue constantly. My therapist is pressuring me to get on AD's because she thinks I will remain 'stuck' if I don't. Some people in my support groups (one for depression, one for social anxiety) say that meds helped them a lot, others say meds didn't help at all. I've tried several different meds, always with side effects that made me stop taking them.

Right now I'm taking St. John's Wort again, which helps some. I try to get some exercise everyday (one psychiatrist told me that aerobic exercise has been shown to be as effective as AD's). I also take a multiple vitamin and fish oil. These are all things I've heard can help. Good therapy and support groups are a must also.

But I'm sure not getting better as fast as I would like. Some days I feel like I'm getting nowhere, other days I feel some progress. I'm afraid to take AD's though, so I guess I will continue toughing it out. I really believe, like others here have said, that AD's should only be used as a last resort, only when you are in a very deep depression.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
(female)

insrchofpeace HB User

I have depression and just recently started getting anxiety sometimes. I feel that I have been depressed my whole life and I also recently discovered I have dysthmia. I a never happy, I hate my life/myself, feel hopeless etc...

I was on ad's for a year during my senior year of college, and I had also been going to the college therapist for a few years. I feel that they did help.

It's been two years since then and I have decided to take them again. I am currently seeing another therapist. I think that although anti depressants are grossly overprescribed that certain people will benefit and should be on them, not necessarily forever but until things get more stabilized. There is a history of mental illness in my family and I think I am one of those people.

I do not want to be on these forever. I figure if anything really bad happens I can go off of them or try a different drug. If I can get through certain situations that are affecting me right now and get to a better place in my life, I think then I will be able to manage without the meds.

If you don't want to be on medication try exercise. There have been studies done that people who run get the same benefits as those who are on ad's.

Last edited by insrchofpeace; 06-21-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Closed Thread