It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #46
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User
Re: Has anyone talked to their doctor about EMSAM?

Frustrating trying to balance meds, huh? I'm having a horrible time doing this. The Provigil is doing it's job at keeping me awake throughout the day, but causing terrible anxiety. I can barely even feel the effects of my regular Xanax doseage right now it's so bad. I've never had a full out panic attack before, but this is getting close. All my muscles are tense and I have difficulty breathing for a good portion of the day. It's upsetting and I don't even want to tell him any of this. I don't want the Provigil to be stopped or decreased. Without it I'd be in bed all day. I'd try to force myself to get out of bed a do something before, but would soon have to go back to sleep. It'll be too hard for me to function and remain conscious during my very long and demanding days. Yet, the major anxiety is causing me to not want to do anything, despite the fact that I'm now awake. I don't know if he'd be willing to increase Xanax. I feel bad for taking medications, but they help, it's just tough to get it right.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #47
(female)

RonneeGirl HB User

Yeah, it's so very hard to get it right with the meds. As for your sleeping too much-It's definitely not a good thing to be in bed all day. I think I'd rather have my insomnia and anxiety, although that's been really super tough, too. I've taken Xanax in the past and found it didn't do enough for me;hence, now I take the Valium. The Valium had helped me enormously to get thru some very bad times and I couldn't care less what some people think about taking sedatives. Let them walk one mile in my shoes and they'll think differently about it. The diazapam (Val) has a longer half life, so it stays in the system longer, which is fine with me. I also know people who take Klonopin for anxiety and are satisfied with it. It comes in a wafer form, and I believe a bite of it can be taken as-needed....Although, I'm sure you are familiar with a lot of this info already. I just rented several DVDs tonight, One is "I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can". It's a true-life story about a woman who becomes hopelessly dependent on tranquilizers. Not that I'm at all dependent on the Valium, but I just thought it would be interesting to watch.
I finally fell asleep this evening, I was so tired from not sleeping well for a few weeks now. Of course now that means I will not be able to fall asleep again until very late tonight, but I FINALLY feel rested.
My level of functioning has been at a low for a long time now. also.
I can empathize with your hesitation to be fully open with your doctor. I am struggling with the same difficulty. Maybe it's my Social Anxiety, although your GAD (Generalized Anxiety) must be even harder to deal with than just the SAD. I know someone on BuSpar for panic attacks, but you said you tried Buspar and Effexor, and had to stop SSRIs due to side effects. I read up a little on the Strattera you are currently on- it is a NON-Stimulant for ADHD. But If you are so very depressed and sleeping so much you might really want to talk again to your doc about getting on an stimulant anti-depressant, like EMSAM, and even possibly discuss an alternative to the Xanax, if upping the dosage is not an alternative. If you have the reaction that I've had so far on the EMSAM, you might lose weight instead of gaining like with the SSRIs. I hear the patch is very expensive but as long as I get the free samples I can continue to try it out. I don't have prescription coverage with my med insurance plan. The Diazapam (Valium) is no problem- its super cheap, about 5dollars for one month supply. Thankfully, my pdoc has no hesitation prescribing it for me, like other general docs would.

Getting back to depression- I read today that many people suffer from end-of-Summer blues which provokes depression and anxiety. Apparently it's a very common occurance. Also read there is a 13-part series called "Healthy Minds" that's airing Sunday, 11:30 pm on WLIW/21. I believe this is a local TV station, but it must also be airing on other channels. Mike Wallace from "60 minutes" will talk in depth about his personal bouts of depression and attemped suicide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #48
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

Well I stopped the Straterra. I'm on Provigil now for the sleepiness and no longer experiencing the constant sleepiness. Do you find Valium to be more sedating that Xanax? It's supposed to be. Hence, its use for minor surgeries.

The EMSAM would be a good idea for stimulation. I don't think I need anymore, but maybe could lower the Provigil if I add EMSAM. I doubt I'd get EMSAM anytime soon. My doc seems to only make one change at a time. Smart, but hard when I want to better NOW!

Probably, he'd suggest either raising the Xanax or lowering the Provigil. We didn't discess depression at the last visit, even though it had been an issue at the one two weeks before. Kinda strange. I'd definitely have to be very specific about it. Even then, I don't think he'd make too many changes. So addressing depression at the next visit would have to push the other concerns further down the list.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #49
(female)

RonneeGirl HB User

Sorry about that, Jealibeanz. I knew you were now on Provigil, I must have been still exhausted when I last posted. I'm glad it is working for your sleepiness. It seems that people with mental illnesses -like with the anxiety disorders/depression/etc -they usually have co-existing conditions. I have hoarding OCD, possibly OCPD, SAD (Social Anxiety), occasional depression, as well as some other related OCD/anxiety conditions. Fortunately, my pdoc is well aware of such comorbidity, and we discuss them at each sesssion. Even though my pdoc has a file on me, he is seeing so many patients so I like to remind him to ensure he best treat me for my particular mix of disorders. It is genuinely hard for me to talk to him, which is partly due to my SAD, which causes me to have a fear of speaking to authority figures, such as doctors.
I can completely understand your fear of not wanting your doctor to think you are telling him which conditions you have and which meds you think might help you. Many doctors have super, super egos. Fortunately my pdoc has so far been very open to my imput into my disorders and the available meds, as well as which meds we have tried and did not work for me due to disabling side effects or whatever.
I definitely found the Valium to be more effective (calming) than Xanax for treating my anxieties, which are very debilitating at times. I still only take it on an as-needed basis, since I have concerns about possible dependency. My pdoc has recommended I now take it at bedtime due to my insomnia. Last night I was so tired from not sleeping well for over a week that I fell asleep without it.
The EMSAM patch supposedly works for both depression and social anxiety. I dont' know if it helpful for GAD.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #50
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

So it's helping with your SAD? I'm sure if it helps with SAD it'll help with GAD.

My doc's so nice and easy to talk to. He always makes me feel like he really cares and wants to help. He'd definitely be willing to consider my suggestions. I just need the confidence to make them. A lot of doc's are still afraid of MAOI's.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #51
(female)

PIEmotion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu0810
I am on Emsam 9 mg now, have been since June. I've had a severe complex depression for 3 years now, treated with numerous SSRI's (4 at the same time before I got the patch) I was nonfunctional, isolated, crying daily, no social activities. After 4 weeks on 9 mg i started feeling motivated, normal people feelings - it was exciting and wonderful. I had a setback in depression by a medical condition hospitalization and 4 week recovery, but slowly i have returned to my motivated state. Emsam has been a blessing. Sure there are lots of drug/food restrictions but i can manage those for the chance to live a productive life again. The unfortunate part of the Emsam for me is that I have a rather severe allergic reaction to the patch. There are 8 sites to place the patch, changing daily. However I am currently treating 12 sites with cortisone (placing the patch beside nearly healed sites) My allergic reaction is itching, redness, burning. The site of the patch for that day itches alot, site of the previous day is very red, burns, itches some. I have a long history of depression and treated very successfully with tricyclics and SSRI's over the years; but for the last 3 years nothing was successful. tricyclic before this 3 year drug resistent depression started worked for 14 years! However I gained 40 lbs. I started losing that 40 3 years ago with 10 lb first year, 10 lb 2nd year. With Emsam I 've had rapid weight loss - just no appetite. I've had problems with insomnia over the years with depression; but since Emsam I'm up most every night all night (it's 5:40 am now) despite 6 mg of lunesta. I do get 4 hours good sleep when I go to bed between 5:30 am and 7 am. I'm retired so fortuntely i don't have to try to hold down a job with this insomnia. To sum up, Emsam is working well for my depression; i can manage the 50+ food restrictions - can I manage this allergic reaction much longer? I don't know. My psychiatrist says there isn't anything else out now for me - I'm between a rock and a hard place. I see on some message boards depressed patients are using Emsam (selegiline) 5 mg oral but it's not available in the US yet; I don't know if US doctors might be prescribing and patients ordering from Canada, etc.) 5 mg is available in the US in a compaound for Parkinson's patients. also read about patients cutting the patches in two, using for 10-12 hours instead of 24. This might help me. My doctor knows nothing about this; and isn't interested in finding out. I don't want to discourage you from the patch if it would relieve your depression; and you might have no allergic problem with it. Good luck lulu
emsam IS available in the US, it's just not called emsam. selegiline, the generic name for eldepryl, has been available for many years in oral form. it is the same drug, not a change in compound. if you use oral selegiline for derpession, which i did with great success 7 years ago, it's simply called "off brand" treatment, meaning it's not FDA approved for the use of depression, but any doctor who wants to use it for depression is able to do so. many drugs are used "off brand."

Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #52
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

How did you do with the Selegiline? What were your side effects? How does it compare to newer drugs?

Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #53
(female)

PIEmotion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealibeanz
How did you do with the Selegiline? What were your side effects? How does it compare to newer drugs?
the oral selegiline has been the best drug i've ever used. i had no side effects except my depression went away...totally, and very quickly. unfortunately, after about 16 months i faced a personal crisis that was quite overwhelming and the depression overwhelmed the meds. since then, about 6 years ago, the selegiline has not helped at all. parnate still helps some, but i have not been depression free since the selegiline stopped working. the selegiline patch, which i started as soon as it was approved, has done little, but i'm still experimenting with it.

best to you, PIE
(and apologies for misinterpreting some of your earlier posts; friends?)

Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #54
(female)

PIEmotion HB User

Quote:
the oral selegiline has been the best drug i've ever used. i had no side effects except my depression went away...totally, and very quickly. unfortunately, after about 16 months i faced a personal crisis that was quite overwhelming and the depression overwhelmed the meds. since then, about 6 years ago, the selegiline has not helped at all. parnate still helps some, but i have not been depression free since the selegiline stopped working. the selegiline patch, which i started as soon as it was approved, has done little, but i'm still experimenting with it.

best to you, PIE

Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #55
(female)

PIEmotion HB User

Quote:
the oral selegiline has been the best drug i've ever used. i had no side effects except my depression went away...totally, and very quickly. unfortunately, after about 16 months i faced a personal crisis that was quite overwhelming and depression overwhelmed the meds. since then, about 6 years ago, the selegiline has not helped at all. parnate still helps some, but i have not been depression free since the selegiline stopped working. the selegiline patch, which i started as soon as it was approved, has done little, but i'm still experimenting with it.

best to you, PIE

Old 09-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #56
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

Definitely. I don't hold a grudge. I'm glad that you have found something that helps. I'll continue to look into EMSAM and appreciate your input.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #57
(male)

HPG AXIS DYSREG HB User

It's been about 3 weeks now since I started Emsam. 4 or 5 days now with the 12 mg patch. A little inconsistant response. I started augmenting with Adderall 30 mg today. Not much difference. It would be preferable to not augment, but its not likely to work in my case. It really is shooting in the dark with these psychoactive meds is'nt it. The only meds that I have had short remissions(3 months) are Parnate, Nardil, and Librium. Parnate was the superior treatment. If Emsam with some augmentation is'nt effective I will likely try Parnate again with different augmentations than I have tried in the past. I am thinking possibly Lamictal.
I am certain within 2 years a treatment to normalize dysregulated HPG axi's will be discovered. This is the key to my disorder. I must keep trying these crude psych meds for now.
Transdermal delivery of medications seems like a good method. Hopefully Emsam will help many sufferers.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #58
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

HPG... any new updates on EMSAM? Have you ever considered seeing an endocrinologist for testing and monitoring?

How are our members doing with their EMSAM?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #59
(female)

libpage1 HB User

I've talked to my Dr. But the problem is that I have to stay off of my other antidepressant for 2 weeks, before I can start the patch. I'm afraid that I will be miseralble before the patch kicks in. Has anyone gone through changing to the patch and how did you feel getting over the other antidepressants? Chris

Closed Thread