It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
AD's make anyone MORE Depressed??

I posted in the Anxiety board but thought maybe someone here could give me more iniste as well. I know it sounds backward............but I have anxiety and when I am put on an SSRI med it helps with anxiety but I get so DOWN and depressed........... Any reason........I know it can be a side effect of meds that are supposed to make depression BETTER.........but it makes me worse in that area...... .. I would appriciate anyone who can relate and what helped you??

THANKS!

Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User
Re: AD's make anyone MORE Depressed??

How long have you been on it?
Maybe thes meds are not for you, you should see your doctor and explain exactly how you feel.
I was diagnosed bipolar last month and given Lexapro, which made me really sleepy, I stuck with it for a month, but it did not improve. Now I am on Zyban, it works, but I had a hard time starting it. Now I am O.K. It's going to be 10 days (?)
I was just looking here, I usually go to Bipolar. But I think you should look at what I posted on a thread about how come the medication stopped working. Just in case it may help
Strawberry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User

Hi fusionqueen,

I've been on a lot of different AD's (I'm treatment resistant but have to try them all). When I tried efexor it made my depression far worse. I was intent on battling it through though to see if it would get better. I was so bad I was living/eating/sleeping in one room, not opening my mail or answering phone calls, the curtains were permanently shut, not washing, it goes on and I was a wreck. I missed several appointments for the doctor, the psych and the blood tests. Eventually my doctor and psych took some of their own time during the weekend to come round to see me. The only thing that made it better was to move on to another AD (the one I'm trying now). The only thing I can suggest is that if the med you're currently on is making you depressed, then try a different one. I can certainly relate, and I hope that's of some help.

Best,
Charme

Old 07-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

I had to go off of panic attack medication because it was making me a lot more depressed

Old 07-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

One of the main reasons I had to quit Celexa is they put me in a really bad state of mind, an increase in suicidal ideation, etc

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Many ADs have a listed side effect of increased depression -- so it is not unheard of that you may feel worse. At least you know it's not all in your mind.

Take care.

SOE

Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
(male)

GHGore HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
Many ADs have a listed side effect of increased depression -- so it is not unheard of that you may feel worse. At least you know it's not all in your mind.

Take care.

SOE
Let me respond with a resounding YES.

The Lexapro was the worst (taking it in the morning making me sleepy all day didnt help either) than the Prozac.

In almost 3 months now of being on the two I don't think I've gotten back to emotional level I was on when I STARTED this process. Will finally be taking the combination my mother swears by starting next week when I go back to my GP... I hope. All this trial and error when my mother's combination of Buspar and Zoloft.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Butch0926 HB User
Unhappy Re: AD's make anyone MORE Depressed??

I was on Effexor for several years when they seemed to stop working. My doctor prescribedl Cymbalta in January and that worked great until two months ago. Then she put me on Lexapro, but that made everything worse, so I'm back on Cymbalta.

I've been having rough days lately and seem to be getting worse. I also have fibromyalgia and my brain fog scares me because I just can't function. The Cymbalta seems to have stopped working because I'm on the verge of tears most days.

I'm seeing my therapist tomorrow and hopefully she can help me decide what to do. I hate having to go off and on different ADs because it takes almost 2 months just to see if they work. In the meantime your life must be dealt with any way you can. It's all just too much.

Nancy

Old 07-14-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nancy,
Interesting about how you felt off cymbalta......same here and I am wondering if going off the Cymbalta has some correlation to some of this. I am currently taking Zoloft at night. I did add some SamE to it for about a week and that seemed to really help.........My problem with Zoloft is I take it at night, and about 1-3 the next day I start to feel awful, anxious whoozy, dizzy........my daughter is on it and it does the same to her..........I wonder about all these meds and I wish the DR's knew more about them. I am to try Effexer now and I am scared of that med........BUT every med affects everyone differently.........I am going to post to see if anyone knows how similiar/different it is than Cymbalta.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
(female)

rootcanalqueen HB User

I think that if you're not "really and truly" depressed, then yes, they do cause more depression. I feel that way on prozac now, sometimes. If you have only anxiety and no depression, than just take anti-anxiety. Reading all the posts about these so called anti depressants not working ALSO makes me depressed.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User

I honestly hope I'm misreading this, but what do you mean by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootcanalqueen
I think that if you're not "really and truly" depressed, then yes, they do cause more depression.
I think anyone can always be more depressed. Ad's haven't worked for me but they do work for some. And Efexor made me feel worse, but I suffer from both depression and anxiety like most people here do. Because the Efexor made me feel worse it doesn't help to hear that I'm not "really and truely" depressed!

Hey, I hope I've just misunderstood the post. This week's been pretty crap, and I'll be the first to admit my head's all over the place right now!

Best,
Charme

Old 07-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootcanalqueen
I think that if you're not "really and truly" depressed, then yes, they do cause more depression. I

They can cause more depression whether or not you are "really and truly" depressed. Some drugs just don't work well with some people, and increased depression is often a listed side effect.

Last edited by SOE; 07-14-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
(female)

rootcanalqueen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionqueen
I posted in the Anxiety board but thought maybe someone here could give me more iniste as well. I know it sounds backward............but I have anxiety and when I am put on an SSRI med it helps with anxiety but I get so DOWN and depressed........... Any reason........I know it can be a side effect of meds that are supposed to make depression BETTER.........but it makes me worse in that area...... .. I would appriciate anyone who can relate and what helped you??

THANKS!
I took this as meaning she was on an SSRI for anxiety only. No offense was meant by my statement. What I meant is in MY OPINION, if you don't have depression but do have anxiety, an SSRI will make you depressed. I wasn't saying that you aren't "really and truly" depressed. And honestly, I dont' know if I am "really and truly" depressed! I would never insult one's mental state or question it's existence. I get enuff of that myself.

I guess we southerners can term things wrongly, !

Old 07-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I tried only Klononpin and felt awesome EXCEPT I was so MEAN!! Exlpoding at every little thing. I can feel that is gone on the Zoloft........but I don't feel good. UGH!!

Old 07-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User

Hey don't worry rootcanalqueen, I misunderstood you then so it's my fault. I told you my head's all over the place right now! And we Scots term everything wrongly if it's not "Auch aye the noo!"

Closed Thread