It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
(female)

Nicci57 HB User
This cant be right...??!!

I went to a mental health place about six weeks ago for anxiety and depression problems. I ended up getting diagnosed with OCD and GAD. At the first meeting the lady had me take a questionnaire about depression and even commented "wow you seem to have severe depression". Since then I've gone once every two weeks to talk about absolutely nothing. I got diagnosed with OCD but not once have we talked about my obsessions and compulsions. And there's no mention what so ever of the depression, which is the main reason I went!! I am so completely frustrated right now. I don't see how once every two weeks talking about what books I've read lately is going to help me at all. Am I right that there is something seriously wrong with this?? Or is this what it's like for everybody?? I see the real doctor tomorrow and if it's the same bs, I really don't know where else to turn...

Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Charme HB User
Re: This cant be right...??!!

Hi Nicci,

Well I don't know if you read my post describing my experience a couple of days ago. I also was asked about books and films and boy do they like to look too much into the answers. Lol, I just realised they are doing eaxctly what we depressed people are supposed to be guilty of (looking too deeply into things)! In case you didn't read the post, here's an extract which I think you may be able to relate to:
Bob: So tell me what you like to do in your spare time.
Me: I used to love photography. I started when I was sixteen, and there's just something about it. Of course it's very rare that I get to do it these days, now I don't get out much any more. But it's something I would like to take up again sometime.
Bob: So what sort of photography do you enjoy?
Me: Nature – landscapes and close-ups. Landscapes mainly though. It's amazing to be able to see the world most people don't and capture it at it's best.
Bob: Okay, tell me about the last time you did photography. When was that?
Me: Well...I'd say the last shoot I did was probably about two or three years ago. I got some nice work from that one. It was a dawn shoot, and I had to go some distance in the dark to reach my location. But having set up my equipment, then counting down the minutes for the sun to rise and watching the world wake up. Well it's just beautiful.
Bob: It's interesting that you should enjoy something that keeps you away from other people.
Me: [Confused] Er...yes.
Bob: So what's sort of books do you read?
Me: Well I like the old science fiction, but not what it's become these days. All aliens and shiny metal things doesn't appeal to me. The original science fiction used the extreme as a transport mechanism to say something else. For example, Body Snatchers wasn't about aliens, it was about whether or not we can ever really know those around us, ever trust them.
Bob: Okay, so the world of make believe then. [Writes down 'Science fiction'] So what would you say is your favourite film.
Me: [Slightly confused] The Shining, brilliant film. Good story, good directing, and one of my favourite actors in it. I didn't much like the book though.
Bob: Interesting, a rather macabre film then. [Writes down 'The Shining'] So, if we can cure your depression, what would you most like to do.
Me: I'd like to turn my depression from a disadvantage into an opportunity. An opportunity to learn. And of course I'd like to make up for the time I've lost. Lately, what I think I'd like to do, is spend some time photographing the middle east and far east. It's an area of the world we really know very little about. I think it would be a fantastic experience, perhaps I can find a way to make some money from it at the same time.

At the time Bob didn't have much to say about this, but later he did point out that it seemed to be a way to keep away from other people. Well if he's right, perhaps I should spend my time photographing the street outside my flat. At the same time watch The Waltons and read romance novels.
Well I know what you really need is some reassurance, and don't worry I think can offer that. Ive been visiting my GP and psych for 18months, and not once have I experienced the level of ridiculousness I discovered the other day from these people I visited. I was so shocked I intend to write letters of complaint about their all round conduct during the day. I think it could be in your interest to seek advice from another psych.

Best,
Charme

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User
Re: This cant be right...??!!

I know what you mean. I went to a so-called Christian counselor years ago for 2 years. It was $75.00 out of pocket every week ($150.00 a session). At first we worked on my anxiety issues....correct breathing, visualization, etc. Well, that was for about a month. Every session after that consisted of him asking me about work, my week, etc. for a whole hour. Then he'd say time's up and you really do need to continue coming as we are making great progress. It was such bs and it got really ugly at the end. I think therapy can be great, if you can find the right one. I got burned and don't care to try it again.

Closed Thread