It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

bosanova HB User
Do herbs or supplements help?

Has anyone had luck with any natural herbs or supplements in treating their depression? If so, what do you take, and what dosage?

thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
Re: Do herbs or supplements help?

I have had success with Omega Joy fish oil capsules (made by genuinehealth) 2 a day, which provides 1000mg of EPA fatty acid. 5000mg fermented l-glutamine which sends glucose to the brain, giving a mood and energy boost. Maca root capsules to keep hormones balanced. And on and off I have taken brain B-12 (methycobalamin) and evening primrose oil (GLA fatty acid). I was able to taper off of Wellbutrin SR a year ago when starting fish oil and eating more fish. I haven't looked back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

bosanova HB User

Thanks for sharing - that's so great!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I believe one needs to be very careful when using herbs and supplements while on medication as adverse effects may happen.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 07-15-2006, 01:00 AM   #5
(female)

bosanova HB User

Well for me personally, I am not currently on any medications. But I think you make a good point with your warning.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Yes, a good point. Let me add also that, on meds or not, that mega-dosing is an unhealthy practice. If one eats a good range of whole foods, green tea, etc. then most likely they only need an average amount of vitamins/minerals in their supplements. Best supplements are from whole foods as well, some companies make them although hard to find in a store.

For example, if you take cod liver oil, you are getting 25% of daily need of vitamin A and D in it's natural form, not an extracted form from a lab. Twenty-five percent should be enough if you are eating good food. You could also take 2 and get 50%.

Vitamin C from rosehips is another example; absorbic acid which is in most vitamins is actually an extract from the whole C complex in nature, thus it is missing part of its' components. Rosehips and other citrus complexes contain the whole thing.

Vitamin E is under some scrutiny lately. But if you buy wheat germ oil, the E occurs naturally in it and you can rest assured your body will use it correctly and safely verses an isolate which could become toxic. I wouldn't even overdo the wheat germ oil either, just take normal amount each day.

Too much of a good thing, yes, when it comes to standard vitamins which have extracts especially, you can have too much and they can become toxic.

So IMHO, just be sensible. Take your whole food supplements like fish oils and whatnot but don't overdo and also eat the very foods loaded with those vitamins and minerals whenever possible. I find green tea(naturally decaf) to also be a "supplement" because it contains antioxidants but yet it is a food technically, not a supplement. But since I've been drinking it (around one cup every two days or sometimes once a day) my chronic bronchitis I've had all my life has evaporated; each flu season everyone gets sick but me, and if I do get sick it is short-lived. It is the only real change I've made in the last few years so I'm sure it is playing a part.

Closed Thread