It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User
Unhappy don't want to take meds

well, here i am. today i just absolutely do not want to take my medication for depression. i'm on celexa. i was on liquid and today i went to get the pill form. i'm in denial i guess wishing i can get through this without meds. i feel embarrased to have gotten into a major depression. i feel like i should of been able to stop myself from getting to this point.

i'm depressed over some human and pet losses in my life and its been a hugh struggle and now i'm depressed about it. i'm talking with counselors but now i feel that is a waste of time. i dont want to do that anymore. i'm trying to do what they think i should do that will help me. i don't know. it just seems like i will never feel like ME again. ever.

i didn't ask for this depression and if i could get rid of these feelings of hopeless, worthless, wanting to just stay in bed all day everday i would. but for now its weighing me down big time and i just want to let it. i feel everyone i write to is tired of me feeling like this. so i dont' let on that i'm still depressed. i can look fine on the outside but on the inside i'm not fine. i feel like a nobody and could care less if anyone talks or writes to me again. friends say to write anytime and yet i go days without hearing from anyone. i know everyone has a life but come on...it take only a few moments to let someone know you love them. right??????

well, i just had to vent i guess. at least here we all have a common bond. we're all depressed and in this together. aren't i a happy camper...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

caffiene7372 HB User
Re: don't want to take meds

Why don't you want to take meds?

I don't have much advise other than journaling has been extremely helpful to me. There's something very theraputic about putting your hurts, fears and frustrations down on paper.

Take care
Cathleen

Old 07-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiene7372
Why don't you want to take meds?

I don't have much advise other than journaling has been extremely helpful to me. There's something very theraputic about putting your hurts, fears and frustrations down on paper.

Take care
Cathleen
i just don't like taking meds. i want to be able to get through this depression without meds but i can't. i just can't. people have told me to write in a journal also. thats all fine and good if i liked to write. i dont'. so i dont' see how that would help me. thanks for reply.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Hi Mokie, I don't like to take meds either. But I think I'm going to have to. I've tried so many things, and nothing has helped. I don't even think meds will help either, and they scare me, but I have to do something. Maybe there's a med out there that will help me. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Meds are a funny thing. No one likes to take them but some of us do not have a choice and that is what it comes down, it is really not a choice you either need to take them to get better or you don't.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

FeludaX HB User

If you are thinking of going off meds, talk to your doctor about it. Also, you have turn to an alternative and stick with it. For example, eat healthy, excercise, and take dietary supplements. Omega 3's, folate, riboflavin, calcium and magnesium, among others, are supposed to be good for depression.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User

Take MAGNESIUM 1 gm/day this will change your life.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

rose,

What form of magnesium? I'm taking magnesium oxide, 400 mg.

Should I up it to 1000? Do you take it all at once, or divided doses?

Old 07-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams
rose,

What form of magnesium? I'm taking magnesium oxide, 400 mg.

Should I up it to 1000? Do you take it all at once, or divided doses?

Do you mean you take 400 mg magnesium from magnesium oxide ? This is already a good dose this is US RDA (recommended daily allowance). But you will have more effect if you up the dose to 800 - 1200 mg / day taken in divided doses with meals (stomach acidity increases the solubility of magnesium oxide).

It's also true that if you have poor stomach acidity magnesium oxide will poorly dissolve in this case you should choose another salt (magnesium aspartate is a good one).

Also know that large intake of calcium totally inhibits the action of magnesium and as a result may make you depressed.

Stress also strongly increases urinary loss of magnesium.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Thanks rose.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
(male)

FeludaX HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_5-HT
Do you mean you take 400 mg magnesium from magnesium oxide ? This is already a good dose this is US RDA (recommended daily allowance). But you will have more effect if you up the dose to 800 - 1200 mg / day taken in divided doses with meals (stomach acidity increases the solubility of magnesium oxide).

It's also true that if you have poor stomach acidity magnesium oxide will poorly dissolve in this case you should choose another salt (magnesium aspartate is a good one).

Also know that large intake of calcium totally inhibits the action of magnesium and as a result may make you depressed.

Stress also strongly increases urinary loss of magnesium.
How do you define a "large intake of calcium"? I don't eat a lot of dairy products but the multi-minerals I take has the RDA of calcium, and of course there are other foods which have it as well. My doctor actually told me that I should be looking to make sure I get enough of both calcium and magnesium.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #12
(female)

caffiene7372 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokie
i just don't like taking meds. i want to be able to get through this depression without meds but i can't. i just can't. people have told me to write in a journal also. thats all fine and good if i liked to write. i dont'. so i dont' see how that would help me. thanks for reply.
I don't like writing either, but journaling and writing are different. I'm not suggesting you write the next Harry Potter novel. Journaling is putting your thoughts down on paper similar to writing these posts. No one else reads them so be free to express your feelings....Jump from topic to topic, yell, swear....whatever comes to mind. What helps me to get started is to ask myself what Hurt, Fear or Frustration am I dealing with today. (Here's a positive...by sharing the HFF method, I've just saved you $200.00 ) Unfortunately, if you're truely depressed you will be dealing with at least one, if not all three.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding pushy, I don't mean to. I've been where you are, depressed and not wanting to take meds. Actually, I'm depressed again and taking meds. I will be going in for ECT Wednesday. However, I now understand that taking medication doesn't admit weakness. If you were Diabetic would you refuse Insulin? I have just found journaling to be an amazing release...hope you'll give it a try.

Closed Thread