It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User
Red face Really want to switch from Effexor to??

Please, I'm really hurting. crying, nightmares, waking up in sheer anxiety, sweating, shaking and it takes about at least an hour each morning to get better. I don't know if it's the depression acting up or me trying to decrease (on my own) a whole slew of pain meds I'm on from the Pain Management Doc I go to. I have torn disc, permanent nerve damage in my right ankle secondary to a BOTCHED surgery to replace my missing tendons. I feel like this is the deepest, darkest hole I've ever been and I don't know what the answer is..
Has anyone switched from Effexor XR to Celexa? How was it? Side effects, etc. Weight is a huge issure for me, if I gain one more pound from pills, I really don't know what I'll do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm feeling so overwhelmed and desperate.

thank you all....
Bj

Old 07-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
(female)

deeffexoring HB User
Re: Really want to switch from Effexor to??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeanne
Please, I'm really hurting. crying, nightmares, waking up in sheer anxiety, sweating, shaking and it takes about at least an hour each morning to get better. I don't know if it's the depression acting up or me trying to decrease (on my own) a whole slew of pain meds I'm on from the Pain Management Doc I go to. I have torn disc, permanent nerve damage in my right ankle secondary to a BOTCHED surgery to replace my missing tendons. I feel like this is the deepest, darkest hole I've ever been and I don't know what the answer is..
Has anyone switched from Effexor XR to Celexa? How was it? Side effects, etc. Weight is a huge issure for me, if I gain one more pound from pills, I really don't know what I'll do.

thank you all....
Bj
Sounds like you're in withdrawl from reducing your meds. Are you reducing Effexor as well? . Don't risk increasing your physical and emotional pain by reducing any of your medications too slowly. There are lots of people on this board who are familiar with many drugs/medications. Me? I'm only familiar with Effexor and the personal hell I'm going through trying to get off. Six months for me and I'm down to about 48mg/day.

Last edited by deeffexoring; 07-30-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User

Thanks for your reply "de-ef". . I know, alot of people seem knowledgeable, I was so hoping for a little more response. REALLY scared . . . I heard Effexor has been hard for some to stop. . I'm sorry you are having a hard time. . I have been on it before, and stopped it with minimal problems (one of the only blessings in my life lately). . we'll see how it goes this time.

I think I'm going to try Cymbalta since it's supposedly a good med for pain as well. Here's hoping. .

I'll say a prayer for you too....

Thanks....

Hope I hear somemore opinions. . . .

Last edited by bjeanne; 07-30-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User

Just hoping to re-post to see if I could get any more help on this one. . .

Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
(female)

WestCoast57 HB User

Hi bjeanne,
Sorry to hear how bad you are feeling, its no good in the deep dark hole, I'm constantly trying to climb out of it also.
When I first tried anti-deps years ago, my dr. gave me Effexor. After a couple days it made me speedy, shaky, had anxiety, insomnia, couldn't concentrate at work. I gave it up after a week, tried Paxil for a few weeks with the same results. Felt like both meds took a while to clear my system and I would never try them again. I'm now on Celexa, it was alot better for me. Its just taking longer to work but for the first few weeks I was fuzzy headed, always tired, could barely make myself eat. Right at this moment I feel like the tiredness is lifting a bit and I find it a bit easier to eat.
Sounds like you are going through such a hard time right now with pain on top of depression. I wish I could offer you more but just wanted you to know that someone is listening.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeanne

thank you all....
Bj
My husband was put on effexor before we were married for depression and had never heard of withdrawl from ssri's nor had a clue what he was in for when he was ready to come off it... He was supposed to be on for 6 months. Time came to get off it and he couldn't cuz of the size effects..... Anyway, there's no way on earth he can take off work or make time for withdrawl like this so he decided to switch to a different medication that has a similar chemical make up as effexor and just not take any effexor anymore to see how it worked out cause the tapering down was really messing him up. He switched to cymbalta and has done GREAT. none of the weird feelings you get in your body, no sick feeling, zaps, balance or thought issues. He was losing it big time before he did the switch...
The reason he picked cymbalta is cause it's similar to effexor but it's supposed to be slightly newer and more refined.... and from what we have read, easier to get off of than effexor. From what we've gathered, effexor and paxil are the 2 hardest get get off of. Paxil due to the intensity of the withdrawl and effexor due to the intensity + duration (up to 2 years for some people).

I was on zoloft for a while and got off of it by skipping a few days then taking only one when i felt zaps and stuff then after a while i needed it less often till i didn't need it anymore. But my husband tried doing it that way with his effexor and it didn't work for him at all.

If you have not tried cymbalta yet, then I'd give it a try at a low dose to curbe the effexor withdrawl and then later after 6 months or so (to be sure you do not have any chance of "effexor" withdrawl) then you can go off the cymbalta slowly. You will have withdrawl from all SSRI's.... Just some are way more intense than others.............. You'll have some withdrawl from cymbalta when you come off it too but no where near like what you have gone through with effexor and will be more like 3 to 5 months to get off rather than up to 2 years.

Hange in there... You can do it.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User

WestCoast & T. . thank you so!!! much for your kind words of support and encouragement. It's all I have right now. . you can't know (or, unfortunately,maybe you can) how lonely this is. .NO ONE, that hasn't experienced it can even start to understand it. I truly believe that. It really pisses me off, too, WHY do so many people NOT get it?

I've begun the tapering this morning of Effexor, have decided that now is the time. I hope my body (and mind) can take it. I figure I'm already in the really dark place, withdrawing from chronic pain meds, too, maybe I can handle doing it at the same time? I pray I can.

Thank you both so much, again.

I pray for us all. .

Any other words of wisdom would be SO greatly appreciated.

I'm here to listen, as well.....

Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
(female)

Guineapig5 HB User

bjeanne, how long have you been on effexor? It took several weeks, dosage increases, and overoming side effects before it worked for me. I too was "in the pit". It took me several med trials (lexapro, cymbalta and remeron - exhausted, zoloft, manic), to find one that helped with few lasting side effects, and at times I felt completely and totally hopeless. Sometimes I felt that I couldn't outlast the side effects, gave up too soon, and had to restart them, only to find out in the end that they weren't right for my body chemistry. Effexor is a good fit for me. This trial and error thing is sheer hell, isn't it?

Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #9
(female)

Melissa44 HB User

Eek I am so sorry! I feel bad for you! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. Celexa/Lexapro is supposedly one of the more mild antidepressants (as far as side effects go). I was on Lexapro for a month and it did help with the wellbutrin xl anxiety! Now I am on zoloft though (100 mg) and it really isn't helping that much (but nothing works for me so I take what I can get I guess!).

Oh, and I feel you on the weight gain issue! I hate being so obsessed about weight!!

Forgot to mention, go slow with the effexor xr tapering if you choose to get off of that med. I went cold turkey for a few days (by accident...I lost the bottle of pills) and I was very dizzy! But when I tapered off of it slowly (with the doc's ok) I did not have withdrawal symptoms!

Last edited by Melissa44; 08-01-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Closed Thread