It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

moonstruckgrl HB User
Is there anything similar to Remeron?

I have tried taking Remeron for sleep disturbances and depression with mild anxiety. While it is excellent for sleep and it is very calming, it usually knocks me out for the whole next day too. and I only take 7.5mg!
I'd feel sleepy, difficulty concentrating and coordinating - such as typing for example, a bit dizzy etc.
Is there anything out there that is similar to Remeron, but has a shorter half-life?
Thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Is there anything similar to Remeron?

Yeah, Remeron is bad about tiring you and giving HUGE appetite increase. Now, I don't know about the depression...if it is mild, I'd try not to treat it with meds and just counselling instead, just my experience after having been on a cocktail of meds and finally getting off. Most meds for me dulled my emotions--so no lows, but no highs either. I could never get excited about things on them.

A good med for sleep (for me at least) is Trazodone (Deseryl). It is also an antidepressant, but mostly not prescribed for depression any longer because the doses necessary to treat depression tend to knock out most people. Taking a lighter dose (in my case 50-100 mg) at night has helped me sleep tremendously. When I was very depressed and had more difficulty sleeping, I took 200 mg/night. It doesn't seem to be addictive as in, I can not take it and still sleep though my sleep problem is trouble falling asleep and if I'm lying there for longer than an hour trying to sleep, I then take the Trazodone. It takes about an hour to work, but usually I sleep through the night just fine (sometimes I wake early but only about 30 min. before the alarm goes off). So you might ask your doc about this one, especially if you have a hard time sleeping.

It can leave you a little foggy in the AM, but I found that on the 100 mg dose, I do not have this, just at the higher doses.

Last edited by livinTX; 08-08-2006 at 08:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

shorebird HB User
Re: Is there anything similar to Remeron?

I started on a low dose and had appetite and sleep probs but both got better when I got to a higher dose 30 mgs. Though the sleep part did not improve as much as the appetite did for me and I still needed about an extra hour or so of sleep a night.

Closed Thread