It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

Jasmine70 HB User
New here w/a BUNCH of questions about meds & other stuff

Hi all, I'm new here & have some questions. I'm currently on prozac 40 (upped 4 weeks ago from 20 mgs.) This is my 3rd round w/anti deps and my 3rd round w/ prozac (tried zoloft for a while but had bad withdrawals trying to wean off, so switched to prozac 3 or 4 yrs ago.) I'm feeling worse than I have in a long time but can't tell if the dose increase is responsible or if the meds just stopped working or what's going on. I have had some thoughts about death - not that I want that, just that this stupid sentence keeps playing in my head. I know it sounds stupid, but is that a suicidal thought? I mean I don't want it, I want to get thru this & be happy again & love my life, but my brain just isn't wanting to turn off that repeating sentence - is that the meds doing this to me, b/c I didn't have this when I was on a lower dose (altho I realize this isn't a high dose & I've been on 40 mgs before & actually when I had ppd the meds were what stopped the repetative thinking.) The dr told me to give the dose increase 6 weeks to work & if I still wasn't doing well, he'd add wellbutrin. I'm not sure I want to wait b/c I'm feeling so bad & feel like I need something right now. What can I expect from the addition of wellbutrin? Do they lower the prozac dose when they add another med? I know part of my problem is having a ton of stress in my life that I'm unable to get away from right now (some of it is financial, some of it is work) on top of the typical daily stuff that comes w/being a wife and mother. My working mom guilt is HUGE & it makes me so unbelievabely sad that I cannot change that. My marriage is teetering on disaster and I feel almost incapable of making efforts there when I can barely get thru the day as an individual. My husband is pretty stressed out himself & has been thru so much w/dealing w/my ppd that altho he knows I'm on meds again, I am unable to tell him what's really going on in my head. I'm afraid it would really put him over the edge & we'd be over for sure. I wonder if any amount or type of med is going to help me when I can't change my situation or have limited or no control over certain things going on in my life. I guess being depressed lowers my ability to deal with stress and challenges? It just seems like everything overwhelms me, stuff that I used to be able to not think twice about in the past, now causes me hours of effort to focus on and deal with, and I'm not dealing with some things at all, which makes those problems even worse. I also worry that taking more meds is going to, in the long run, screw up my brain chemistry so that I'll always need to be on something & always need to tweak types and/or doses. I guess I should just get thru this & then worry about the future later, huh? Anyway, thanks for reading if you got this far and big kisses if you actually are able to reply to some of my questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: New here w/a BUNCH of questions about meds & other stuff

I am not really sure what I am going to say but felt I needed to respond. I take Wellbutrin with my antidepressants aparently it acts like a boost and helps null some of the side effects. Suicidal thoughts, I deal with them and on really bad days one line runs through my head "it would be so easy", tell your doctor and if it gets really bad go somewhere safe. Depression slowly sucks your energy, ambition and well being out but with the proper therapy it is beatable it is just going to take some time.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

It is not uncommon for ADs not to work if you have gone on and off them. I had that experience with several ADs, Prozac included. If the Prozac isn't working for you and this is your 3rd time on it, chances are it will never kick in. I tell you this to say that it may not be that your depression is worse... just that the AD isn't working.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine70
Hi all, I'm new here & have some questions. I'm currently on prozac 40 (upped 4 weeks ago from 20 mgs.) This is my 3rd round w/anti deps and my 3rd round w/ prozac (tried zoloft for a while but had bad withdrawals trying to wean off, so switched to prozac 3 or 4 yrs ago.) I'm feeling worse than I have in a long time but can't tell if the dose increase is responsible or if the meds just stopped working or what's going on. I have had some thoughts about death - not that I want that, just that this stupid sentence keeps playing in my head. I know it sounds stupid, but is that a suicidal thought? I mean I don't want it, I want to get thru this & be happy again & love my life, but my brain just isn't wanting to turn off that repeating sentence - is that the meds doing this to me, b/c I didn't have this when I was on a lower dose (altho I realize this isn't a high dose & I've been on 40 mgs before & actually when I had ppd the meds were what stopped the repetative thinking.) The dr told me to give the dose increase 6 weeks to work & if I still wasn't doing well, he'd add wellbutrin. I'm not sure I want to wait b/c I'm feeling so bad & feel like I need something right now. What can I expect from the addition of wellbutrin? Do they lower the prozac dose when they add another med? I know part of my problem is having a ton of stress in my life that I'm unable to get away from right now (some of it is financial, some of it is work) on top of the typical daily stuff that comes w/being a wife and mother. My working mom guilt is HUGE & it makes me so unbelievabely sad that I cannot change that. My marriage is teetering on disaster and I feel almost incapable of making efforts there when I can barely get thru the day as an individual. My husband is pretty stressed out himself & has been thru so much w/dealing w/my ppd that altho he knows I'm on meds again, I am unable to tell him what's really going on in my head. I'm afraid it would really put him over the edge & we'd be over for sure. I wonder if any amount or type of med is going to help me when I can't change my situation or have limited or no control over certain things going on in my life. I guess being depressed lowers my ability to deal with stress and challenges? It just seems like everything overwhelms me, stuff that I used to be able to not think twice about in the past, now causes me hours of effort to focus on and deal with, and I'm not dealing with some things at all, which makes those problems even worse. I also worry that taking more meds is going to, in the long run, screw up my brain chemistry so that I'll always need to be on something & always need to tweak types and/or doses. I guess I should just get thru this & then worry about the future later, huh? Anyway, thanks for reading if you got this far and big kisses if you actually are able to reply to some of my questions!
Jasmine,

It could be the thought you mentioned is an "ocd" thought--an obsessive thought. They are usually "intrusive"/unwanted and can be scary thoughts or images. Prozac is actually a good med for ocd thoughts if that's what you have. Also, I think the top dose of Prozac is 80 mg., so you still have room to increase it (with your doctor that is) and possibly get further benefit from the P.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
(female)

Jasmine70 HB User

Thanks all of you, for your replies. It does help to think that maybe the proz isn't working - that I'm not getting worse, just not getting better. I am familiar w/intrusive thoughts & images (had those w/ppd) and thats what this feels like. In the past, meds made them go away, so I guess that's further proof that the prozac isn't working. AAAAHHHH, it is very helpful to get it out & have someone that has some comprehension of this respond!

Old 08-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
(female)

Jasmine70 HB User

AAACCCKKKK! I can't get in to see the dr till next week!!!! How the heck am I going to get thru the rest of this week???????? I think I'm now certain that the p isn't working at all. I guess I'll survive on lorezapam till next Monday . . .

Old 08-15-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Jasmine,

Maybe the doc would up your dose in the meantime? 40 mg. is not the top end of the dose range. It just seems more expedient to increase what HAS worked vs. tapering down, starting a new med, seeing if it works, if not repeating the process. Again, and maybe again. kwim? (I had the ppd w/ocd--sux, huh?)

Old 08-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
(male)

outofthedark HB User

Jasmine,

It sounds like you're going through a great deal of fear and pain, and it's great that you are reaching out for advice and help.

I was on prozac with some success in the past, and I've on wellbutrin for 3 or 4 years. Wellbutrin has helped a lot. I think it worked better than prozac for me, except that it seems to be causing high blood pressure in my case. But that's just me; we're all different. WB does seem to stimulate me, more so than prozac did. I could give you more details about WB, but perhaps that's not useful here. I didn't realize you could be on both prozac and wellbutrin at the same time. I only take WB.

However, my doctor and my therapist - especially my therapist - were major allies when it comes to my dealing with depression. Do you have a psycho-therapist; someone you can talk with, open up, share your pain, your fears, your thoughts? If not, you might want to consider it.

You sound like you're going through a lot of suffering and you shouldn't have to go through all of this alone, just with meds. I believe you mention having to wait a week to see your dr, and wondering how you'll get by in the meantime. If things feel out of control or get to the point where you feel you cannot cope, you might want to see if you dr can help sooner, or can provide help in any other way, such as trying prescribing a higher dosage before your next visit.

I'm a man, so maybe I'm talking through my hat, not really understanding what you are going through, but therapy has been key for me, and I'd highly recommend it. And I would really encourage you to continue seeking help and to be very clear with your doctor as to what you're going through and whether you need more help than you are receiving.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
(female)

Jasmine70 HB User

Thanks again, guys! UGH! I'm so confused about the meds thing. I didn't take my p dose yesterday (I know bad) but I actually feel like a human today and not a used-up dirty dish rag. I've been doing the lorezapam a little more often & it I know feeling a little better today could be any number of things, and not the lack of med. I didn't even think about upping the dose, can you become tolerant to a dose and need more? I guess that makes sense. I do feel I need to see a physch b/c while I really like my regular dr I don't think he's well versed in this stuff (and he's our family dr, it's dumb, but it's really hard to see him when I take my son in for checkups & stuff & he asks how I'm doing, it just makes me feel even worse, like I'm not a good mom b/c I'm dealing w/dep & anx.) I'm going to start a new thread about prescribing drs.

Outofthedark, hey, you are not talking out of your hat. I appreciate all pov's male and female, it's really very helpful to get other's perspective.

Last edited by Jasmine70; 08-16-2006 at 08:05 AM.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

AD's can and have pooped out aka tolerance. Tolerance can be a never ending problem. IMHO, I doubt you are actually sick or mental in any way, but the drugs have no doubt downregulated/desensitized your brain receptors(aka tolerance) and that might be causing you to feel bad. Your actual problem might be the stress of life you are in, it's a common tale, some take meds to cope, others turn to alcohol or other drugs.

You need to reduce your stress somehow, I don't mean all out quit working but maybe keep other obligations on the low end, have some babysitting help now and then(yes, I know you have the guilt of not being there so what's a few more hours a month if it helps you recouperate?). Get into fitness (it doesn't take as much time as you might think) and good food/supplements like omega 3's, green tea and other superfoods.

You MUST take care of yourself or no drug anywhere will help you cope and your family as well as you will suffer! Good luck!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

I know what you mean about the reg doc and having a kind of overflow.

Just a word...about antianxiety meds. They are addicting. They can be. They are a bandaid in the moment, but they don't change anything long term. Antidepressants seem to make changes, in my personal experience. Meaning, after taking one for a period of time (say 6-12 months) if you then taper off of it, there is a better chance (than if you'd been on lorazapam) than you can stay off. At least for a while.

Jennita is right about stress. If there is anything you can do to reduce it, that can help. But it doesn't even have to be outright stress. It can be AF, or one of your kids being sick, or you being sick, etc. It's stressful and it takes more out of your meds than they have to give, if that makes sense.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
(female)

Jasmine70 HB User

Girls/Ladies, thanks for your replies - I think you understand me!!!! I totally agree that the stress in my life needs to be reduced in order for me to be healthy (physically & mentally.) The big stuff is pretty big & altho my husband & I are working on it (business stuff, financial problems), I do have very limited control over it. The big stuff has led to marriage problems and then the daily regular everyday stresses that would normally be a piece of cake just seem to be the final straw. And af/pms for sure makes for a very bad week. I do occaisionally have a babysitter & have a free weekend morning to myself & it does help. I certainly need to eat healthier & get exercise into my life - I'm just not sure how to fit it in?!? I feel like always being in a state of panic, hating a big chunk of what makes up my daily life (my little boy is the saving grace in my day), feeling there is no one there to "take care of me" and always being stressed and on edge, has caused my body to be screwed up & now it doesn't know how to be regular anymore. I feel like I finally "got over" the ppd, had about 2 good months & then got thrown into the lion's den again and the past year of h3ll has done a real number on me! I have in the past dealt with bulimia ("got over" that with hypnosis, & altho it rears it's ugly head every few years I am able to beat it back down) and alcohol abuse (not alcoholism tho) which honestly I still use alcohol to calm me from time to time. These were my old (and not so old) ways of coping w/anxiety & I guess self-medicating. So I wonder if it's a life long thing or situational or what the deal is?!?!?! I am very concerned about the addictiveness of the lorezapam & agree that it's best not to get used to it or use it as a crutch & I truly appreciate the reminders about that. I just feel so completely overwhelmed, confused, lost. I guess I just need some help getting thru this chapter of life. Thanks again for your posts, they were tremendously helpful!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Wish we had the answer to the financial/business stuff but it seems everyone is under financial stress these days, eh? As far as fitting in exercise, you can go for intensity rather than time. In other words, 20 minutes of dance aerobics or fast stairclimbing certainly will do the trick even more than an hour of walking. Using heavier weights in weight training(after lighter warmup sets of course) will do more in less time. Or, if you want to stick to lighter weights, supersets will save time and still give a good resistance workout.

I've heard trainers say if you take more than 1 hour to workout you are wasting your time because there is no intensity, since only professional athletes work out longer. The average person just tryiing to get in shape doesnt' need to do that. And you only need to workout maybe 4 times a week. Four hours a week certainly isn't alot of time(almost anyone can fit that in a week) but could make a big difference in your overall health and fitness!

Closed Thread