It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Ariesladi25 HB User
how do you have depression and hold down a full time job??/

hi everyone,

just curious to see how many people on the boards hold down a full tiem job? I have depression like almost everyone here and feel as if i cant work for more than a day? what is wrong with me?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User
Re: how do you have depression and hold down a full time job??/

depression is a silent killer if you ask me. it steal away your strength, joy, emotions, etc. and leaves one feeling hopeless, worthless, etc. this is my exp anyways. i've been dealing with major depression for months now and its tough let me tell you. i finally had to go on meds and its hard for me to accept i need meds. i put on a brave face going to work but inside i'm crying alot. feeling useless, worthless, basically a nobody. just wanting anyone to ask me how i am and LISTEN to me. well, i'm just doing the best i can and that is all you can do too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User

Hi AMC.....My so called depression was basically being mis-diagnoised and had lyme disease...BUT...before I found that out I went some years being told I was BI-POLOR....I worked...I would get there and put on a happy face...and as soon as I left worked I could go home and feel like the world was crashing in...yeah there were times that I cried my eyes out over silly things at work....my ...depression is going to be different than yours and the next guys...know what I mean...just like some people can work with what I have and some can't...

Hope your new job is going to be better than the last.....
Hugs.........

Old 08-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I don't know if certain fields are different but I use to work in the human services field which can be emotionaly stressing so my doctor took me off work and here I am over a year later and still not back to work and more than likely when I am able to work again it will be in a different field

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 08-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
(male)

scriptabuse HB User

depression is one the the main reasons i dont have a job. because it affects your confidence, energy levels, etc it makes day to day activities that most people take in their stride seem like a struggle. basically in my experience it makes life a lot harder to deal with. i worked in the same job for 2 years when i was badly clinically depressed (as well as having a drug problem) and every day was a nightmare. i was withdrawn and anxious all the time, found it hard to deal with stressful situations or react under pressure, just basically had a really hard time which in turn made me even more depressed. i dont have a job at the moment and i feel like im on the road to recovery now. not being in a pressure situation every day and getting some breathing space is actually helping a great deal in getting over my depression. im not going to even apply for another job until i know for sure im in the right frame of mind to cope with it properly and do myself justice.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

Jasmine70 HB User

Believe me, I'd have been fired months ago if not for who my boss is (my husband.) I agree that the field you are in and how much responsibility you have can have a great impact on how capable you are and how effective you are at your job. Dealing with customer service is very difficult - you try not to take it personally when people get angry, etc., but it's hard to not internalize some of it after a while.

Personally, I think I need the routine, structure & distraction of a job, but my current one is creating a lot more problems than helping at this point.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
(male)

jbar47 HB User

I hate my job and I believe its the root of most of my depression, but I have to pay the bills, and I need the benefits in order to go to counseling and get the meds I need.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc23
hi everyone,

just curious to see how many people on the boards hold down a full tiem job? I have depression like almost everyone here and feel as if i cant work for more than a day? what is wrong with me?
I am able to work a full time job by the grace of God (not meaning to sound preachy). Often, I have wished that I could work even 4 days a week. Financially, I could figure out a way to handle that.

I do work in the human services field. However, I fully believe that if you are not depressed when you start in human services, you will get depressed before you retire.

Closed Thread