It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
(male)

mauvais HB User
Arrow Depression & The Workplace...please help

Thank you for taking the time to read this, everyone-

I was seeing a counselor clinical depression for a while, and tried Effexor XR for a time last summer. I absolutely hated the drug, weaned myself off and decided that medications are not for me.

My depression is about the same today- no better, no worse. Its affecting my focus, concentration and motivation at work. Of course, depression negatively affects my motivation at home as well...but my job is really where I'm most concerned.

Does anyone have advice for how to keep myself on track at work? I easily become overwhelmed and just shut down out of fear.

Thank you for any help you can give

Old 08-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #2

sunny27 HB User
Re: Depression & The Workplace...please help

Hi! I know exactly how you feel. However, I find I need medication at times to get and keep myself on track. My advice (it helps me, but may not work for everyone):
Make lists and prioritize if you find yourself losing track of tasks, appointments, or "things to do". If you're feeling overwhelmed, making a list can help you see what needs to be done and when, rather than trying to keep track of everything in your head.
Breathe. Try to count to 10 when you start feeling overwhelmed. Take things one step at a time.
Don't let negative co-workers effect you. Their unhappiness is their problem; don't let it become yours.
Be good to yourself. Take a break. Have a coffee or a tea or a club soda. When you're at home, relax. Enjoy your own time. Read. Take a walk. Laugh! Nap if you feel sleepy - splurge on yourself (not monetarily - spiritually) Take time to make a nice dinner for yourself. Spend time with your family, friends or your pets. Animal are wonderful companions and give unconditional love. Just remember to love them back.
Get plenty of sleep. If you find you're still feeling out of control, talk to someone. Medication isn't the end of the world. Just because one thing didn't help doesn't mean that all meds won't work.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Inactive

silverlily HB User

i quit my job in March because i was doing so bad. i could hardly function and hated being there, and always feared making mistakes.

in my experience, employers are not supportive of workers diagnosed with depression. these days i do not tell anyone at work, ever. (i have a new job, as of last week)

if you cannot quit (or don't want to) then i recommend seeing your doctor about FMLA. with this leave, you can arrange your schedule for part-time, and your employer pretty much HAS TO accomodate you.

maybe working 20-30 hours per week instead of 40-50 would help.

plus, under FMLA laws, your employer has no legal right to know what medical condition you suffer from. your privacy is protected.

best of luck deciding. it's hard to choose between having an income and going ever more quickly down the toilet. (pardon my language)

Old 08-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User

I agree with sunny27, medication is not the end of the world. There are many different types of anti-depressants. What works well for one person may not work for another. If you had high blood pressure, would you take medicine for it?

Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

whoevea HB User
Wink Re: Depression & The Workplace...please help

i have days when I'm at work and i get so embarrassed because half of the time i dont make sense when i talk and i do blame that on depression. then people will talk to me and i put on the fake smile and inside im screaming for them to get away from me and leave me alone.

im on Lexapro and its doing nothing!
today i called my Doctor and begged him for Valuim because my Anxiety is killing me. its worse then depression. i took a Valuim and OMG i felt great. i made sense when i spoke to people and all that.
but i do no how u feel .
i dont think these Antidepressants are for me either because i seem to feel worse on them. i only took half of the Lex today because im gonna get myself off of those things! they are not for me either.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #6
(male)

mauvais HB User
Arrow Re: Depression & The Workplace...please help

Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback

Sunny27- thank you for the coping mechanisms & tips. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for to help manage my depression.

Silverlily- Some days I'm fine, and some days I'm not, but I do want to keep my job and work full time. I have a feeling that if I wasn't working full time I'd feel even worse about myself Thank you for the information on FMLA, in case I do decide I need it.

Countrygirl1- If I had high blood pressure I'd attempt to lower it with behavior changes before I resorted to medication. That's exactly what I'm trying to do with my depression.

Whoevea- I hope you find what works for you too

Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
(female)

ronniesteers HB User

My mood usually fluctuates throughout the day because I am bipolar ("Stabilized" on meds) So one minute I'll be fine and the next extremely depressed to the point where I find myself crying.

I get by my day by trying to focus on the tasks at hand, others around me and I do a little workout at lunchtime. I go running in the park. It seems to help lift my mood in the afternoon for a while and help the afternoon at least go a little faster.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
(male)

mudpup1961 HB User

It's funny I should read your post, because I'm going through that a bit at work myself. First, I agree with Sunny on things you can try at work. I've been off meds for about 4 years now. Although it can be difficult sometimes, most days I'm in a good place. The only time I start getting depressed is when I start the pity party (I'm not good enough, so and so gets more recognition than I do, etc). I can truly say I have a thankless job when it comes to the bigwigs. Most have no idea what I even do (I'm a computer troubleshooter, I solve computer issues). While others within my department get recognition, I rarely get even a thank you.
But enough about my issues. What has worked for me in the past is finding things to take my mind off the bad thoughts. What are you thinking when you start getting depressed? Once I can determine that, I work on finding other thoughts and ideas to take its place. Most times, I use a daily meditation email sent to me by a website (can't tell you which one, sorry but against rules here). But I can say it has been a help. I take 5 minutes and sit at my cube, concentrating on the positive thought of the day.
The key to getting out of depression is to find positive, happier thoughts. For many of us, its extremely easy to dwell on those things that feed into our depression. The hard part is trying to reverse it.
I don't know how well you get along with co-workers. My advice is to talk to as many as you can (but not about your depression). Find out which ones can talk about issues in a positive light. Those are the people you want to hang around with, not those who are negative. Stay away as much as possible from anyone who is constantly critical of you or anyone else. If you're in a conversation and it turns negative, excuse yourself and get away. The more you stay in that conversation, the more it feeds into the depression.
Some days when you feel really down, fake it as hard as you can. I've found in some cases I end up bringing myself up. But then again, I also try to joke about things when I feel tense. In some circumstances, I will purposely do something to make myself look "goofy" (for lack of a better word) to a few others, then turn around and laugh about it.
For example, one day I was feeling a bit down, yet felt a bit goofy. So I took a sheet of paper, wrote "Please don't feed the wild animal", and put it in my cube. While a few thought I was strange that day (and I didn't really care), most others found the humor in it.
We all do things that we think others are judging us by that may not be complimentary to ourselves. But the point is, everyone does it. Its human nature to make mistakes or judge others. The trick is to not let it get to us. And that's hard to do. It feeds our depression. My depression is over 2000 pounds and its time for it to go on a diet. Say something positive about yourself to yourself every day. Write it down and when you feel the depression coming on, read it to yourself. If necessary, go to the restroom, lock the door, and look at yourself in the mirror and repeat the positive thought.
Always remember, depression can be beaten. But not be meds alone. It takes hard work sometimes. But in the end, when you improve, it is well worth it. Actually, responding to your post has given me a boost. Cause I know you can do it. Keep posting here. Read the threads. Don't discount any advice and try different things. Eventually, you will find what works for you.
KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH!!! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOK DOWN TO. And make friends with your fears. Sorry I like the bouncy dude.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

whoevea HB User
Wink Re: Depression & The Workplace...please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvais
Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback

Sunny27- thank you for the coping mechanisms & tips. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for to help manage my depression.

Silverlily- Some days I'm fine, and some days I'm not, but I do want to keep my job and work full time. I have a feeling that if I wasn't working full time I'd feel even worse about myself Thank you for the information on FMLA, in case I do decide I need it.

Countrygirl1- If I had high blood pressure I'd attempt to lower it with behavior changes before I resorted to medication. That's exactly what I'm trying to do with my depression.

Whoevea- I hope you find what works for you too
thank you mauvais....
i do believe things get better . dont no when but they will .

Closed Thread