It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #1

sunny27 HB User
Prozac or Effexor? New med change

Hello. I'm looking for some input on Prozac and Effexor for deppression/PMDD. I was on Prozac years ago and it worked great. I stopped taking it when things were looking up, and was med free for years. Since then, I've found I need medication again. As I've gotten older, my PMS has blossomed into PMDD and due to that and work stressors I've become quite depressed again. I've gained a ton of weight and that is making things worse.
Well, I'm off track a bit.
Late last year I tried Prozac again but found it no longer worked. I was on 20 mg daily. My Dr. switched me to Paxil. That worked until about 2 months ago. I feel terrible once again. A friend is on Effexor and speaks highly of it. I know she had had some depression/anger issues which seem to have been successfully treated with the Effexor. I'd like to try Prozac again and work up to a higher dose. I'm afraid of the Effexor withdrawals in case it doesn't work for me. I've never had any problems with Prozac except for vivid dreams and sexual dysfunction (I can work with those. Better than dry mouth and heart palpitations)
All input is appreciated, but please, keep the horror stories to a minimum. I'm looking for positive or objective experiences.
Thanks!

Old 08-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Prozac or Effexor? New med change

I have been through a number of antidepressants and Effexor is the only one that still works after six months. The big problem with Effexor is when you stop using it but I figure if it works now then the end difficulties are worth it. I should mention Effexor is part of a combo I take, I do not take it by itself

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Prozac or Effexor? New med change

Meds often don't work after you have gone off of them -- that could be the problem with the Prozac. I had the same problem with Prozac.

Effexor was the last straw for me and really encouraged me to go drug free (it was that awful in my case).

I would think long and hard before trying Effexor. Do some of your own research on it. And research these boards to see the various opinions.

Good luck.

SOE

Closed Thread