It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
(male)

aeiou HB User
Depression and sexual intercourse

I suppose this might sound like a weird thing to ask, but I wanted to find out if other people suffer from this same feeling. Basically, I've been suffering from severe depression for about 6 months now (medication doesnt seem to be working much).

But I notice that whenever I have sex I immediately suffer a massive low straight afterwards. Theres no way to describe it, the drop in my mood is just very steep and crushes me. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there any explanation for it? For me, the low mood is always accompanied by feelings of loneliness and feelings of being unloved. Its terribly difficult to cope with once it happens.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User
Re: Depression and sexual intercourse

Depression pretty much ruins EVERYTHING... Are you having a healthy sex? Does this person love you or do you use sex to be loved, there is a big difference!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

cathydownunder HB User

You say you've been on meds 6 months and they don't seem to be helping,have you tried upping the dose or changing meds, it might not be the right one for you. Have a talk to your doc about it ok?
As for the sex question, well I'm no therapist but the first thing that came to mind was, "are you with the same person when this happens? are you in a stable, commited relationship?" The let-down feeling could be because you're not with the right person,or having a casual relationship.
Then again, endorphins are released during sex and orgasm and after the feeling of euphoria can come a let-down.So you may be having a genuine chemical/physical reaction that while it seems exagerrated in your case, is actually normal.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
(female)

squeakytoy HB User

This exact thing doesn't happen to me but I think I know what you're talking about. I get this feeling after a bout of happiness after all the hoopla is over and I'm all alone to myself. Please try not to feel any guilt shame or dejection about yourself. It's probaby normal letdown feelings that happen to everyone in their lives. If I were to give advice I'd suggest you think happy thoughts about the lovely sex you just had and how you look forward to doing that again sometime soon! Could work out...

Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

My reaction is totally opposite....for a couple hours I feel quite high. I cannot complain about this but wonder why. Perhaps you just feel a letdown of sorts. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

A letdown is perfectly normal. Depression doesn't help.

Closed Thread