It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
(female)

insrchofpeace HB User
Does wellbutrin cause headaches?

I have a headache pretty much every day. It could be due to the fact that my job entails staring at a computer screen all day. And I did have headaches before I was on wellbutrin. But they seem to have become worse after the wellbutrin. My psych started me off on 300 mg once a day in the morning and I was having a lot of side effects. So he brought me down to 150 once a day in the morning. But I don't think he knows what he's doing anyway.

It is an intense pain in the middle and the sides of my forehead and my eyes hurt too. I have been to the eye doctor recently and my vision is fine. Has anyone found wellbutrin to cause headaches?

Old 09-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
(female)

squeakytoy HB User
Re: Does wellbutrin cause headaches?

I took it for a brief period a long time ago, when I was having tons of headaches anyway, and I don't know that this is a common side effect. I get headaches when I go on a new drug and when I increase my dose which go away after a couple of days, and this was true for both effexor and lexapro. I would give it a couple more days and then stop taking the drug if it persists. If the headache goes away, I'd assume it was the drug. a lot of doctors don't believe you're having a side effect. They think you're having depression symptoms. So only if a drug is KNOWN to cause headaches (like prozac) do they admit it's probably a side effect. So our own trial and error is really important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

I tried it once. It made me dizzy and have a slight headache I recall. I take Zoloft with no side effects.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

I tried wellbutrin also and it did not help my headaches either and I ended up having an allergic reaction to the med. I was also working all day at a computer when my headaches started. Come to find out that I was having some neck problems--so try to stretch a little.

I also just recently started having the type of headache you are describing, exactly. Went to the doc and I had a sinus infection--yet I have had no cold, stuffy, or runny nose. I would ask your doc about that, especially if you have had your eyes checked. That's the first thing I had done also. Now, my eyes don't hurt, the pain in my forehead is gone, and no headache. All I had to do was take a round of antibiotics.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insrchofpeace
It is an intense pain in the middle and the sides of my forehead and my eyes hurt too. I have been to the eye doctor recently and my vision is fine. Has anyone found wellbutrin to cause headaches?
Wellbutrin certainly can cause headaches, but this sounds more like headaches caused by eye-strain. That doesn't mean your vision is less than perfect, it just means your eyes get tired after awhile and it starts to hurt. Staring at a computer screen all day can do that.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I get headaches pretty much daily and I have been on Wellbutrin 300 for over nine months so there might be a connection

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 09-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
(female)

insrchofpeace HB User

Well I stopped taking the wellbutrin and the headaches went away so theres the answer to my question. But now I'm not on any medication so hopefully my mood doesn't spiral down.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
(female)

cattyw HB User

I just started wellbutrin yest (150mg)..i notice i felt shakey on & off most of the day, similar to when blood sugar is too low. Is this normal?

Old 09-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattyw
I just started wellbutrin yest (150mg)..i notice i felt shakey on & off most of the day, similar to when blood sugar is too low. Is this normal?
These are the more common side effects: abdominal pain, constipation, decrease in appetite, dizziness, dryness of mouth, increased sweating, nausea or vomiting, trembling or shaking, trouble sleeping, weight loss (unusual). Usually side effects will go away within a few weeks, but if it is really severe and bothersome talk to your doctor as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
(female)

MissaBee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insrchofpeace View Post
And I did have headaches before I was on wellbutrin. But they seem to have become worse after the Wellbutrin.
I have the same issue. I get migraines a couple times a month and when I started Wellbutrin I noticed that my eyes became more sensitive to natural light and some days looking at the TV or Computer screen would send me to bed to sleep off the resulting migraine. My original Psych told me I was imagining things even after my husband talked to him about them as well.

Excedrin Migraine works wonders for these headaches. If I can identify the headache early I can nip it in the bud. And even if I don't I'm only laid up for about an hour or two instead of the 4-5 I used to suffer through.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insrchofpeace View Post
I have a headache pretty much every day. It could be due to the fact that my job entails staring at a computer screen all day. And I did have headaches before I was on wellbutrin. But they seem to have become worse after the wellbutrin. My psych started me off on 300 mg once a day in the morning and I was having a lot of side effects. So he brought me down to 150 once a day in the morning. But I don't think he knows what he's doing anyway.

I have been on Wellbutrin since November 2010, 300 mg. a day. Now all of sudden this past Monday,May 14,2012,I started with a migraine headache and can't really get rid of it totally. I read about the side effects and it says it can cause severe headaches but when I called my doctor today May 18,2012,he says no,it's not the Wellbutrin because I have been on it all this time without any problem. I don't believe it because I had been on Prozac for 5 years when it stopped working as far as the depression went but it caused me headaches in Sept 2008 until I went off of it in April 2010,the doctor in the hospital is the one who said the Prozac was the probable cause for the headaches. As soon as I went off the Prozac my migraine headaches were gone. I am going to go off the wellbutrin to see if the headaches go away,and if they do away and I go back on it and they come back I will know it's the Wellbutrin. I am not going to tell anyone(my doctors or counselor) that I am going off the Wellbutrin because I know they would tell me to stay on it despite the headaches. I can't live with a migraine headache everyday of my life,that's enough to send me to the looney bin in of itself !

Closed Thread