It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

Brokenwings27 HB User
Question Best Antidepressants?

hello, I was wondering if anyone has used an antidepressant that works well on depression , mood swings and anxiety, while NOT making you gain weight? I have tried paxil, and it worked great for me, but i gained so much weight that I stopped it so that i could lose the weight i had gained. I did lose the weight and now need to find an antidepressant that might even help with energy levels, paxil made me very sleepy. Anyone have any suggestions?
thank you

Old 09-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Best Antidepressants?

The effectiveness and side effects of various antidepressants are individual. In general, Wellbutrin is often cited as one that does not lead to weight gain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

Brokenwings27 HB User
Talking Re: Best Antidepressants?

yeah i was thinking of wellbutrin or luvox.... not sure which one would work better for anxiety and depression....
thanks for you help

Old 09-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

I'm on Wellbutrin and Effexor.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
(female)

brownneyz HB User

Wellbutrin made me incredibly anxious. I"m on cymbalta and finding it to be good for depresson and anxiety.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

Effexor has been pretty good for the past 7 years now. Since I also have migraines, I'm taking Topamax, 50mg/day, and one of the side effects is loss of appetite, therefore, weight loss....but not much actually. Some women actually laugh and say it should be marketed for weight loss...

Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
(female)

Brokenwings27 HB User

yeah cymbalta is what i am considering now. I am going on monday to talk to my doctor about it.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
(female)

Brokenwings27 HB User

topamax? hmm... that might also be good for me , I have headaches every morning when i wake up and sometimes it's so bad that I can't stand it. I just curl up and try to wait it out. Sometimes it lasts hours....
I guess I could look into that also... thanks for your reply

Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
(female)

technomom HB User

I take a combination of Lexapro & Welbutrin XL. After trying some others this combination works best for me. Everyone's body chemistry is different, so you need to find the drug or combination of drugs that works best for you.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
(female)

JulieKC HB User

I've tried quite a few meds over the last 20 something years. I am starting to believe that im just immune.

I dont think meds do a lot of anything. But then thats me

JulieKC

Old 09-29-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

julie iam mediation ssensitive . have taken all SSRI's and tricyclics with horrible side effects to all. klonopin calms me down but isn't workinf right now since i am realystressed out and have enver really suffered a depression like i am in right now. am scheduled to start counsleing next week adn to see a psychiatrist for meds in two weeks. he has his work cut out for him with me and meds. i am going to be honest with im about everything i have tried and the reaction i've had. maybe i'll end up with nothing which at this point i think is better than something that will make me feel worse than i already do. it will take longer just doing counseling i fell like i need a little hlep to open my mind and just get started. so we shall see what the master has in his bag of tricks.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi broken,

yes, headaches are the worst, especially migraines. they are extremely powerful, debilitating, and humbling. they leave you powerless and at a point that you can't do anything anymore no matter what you try. they certainly add to the hopelessness of a person who is already depressed!!!!

you best check with your primary to refer you (if you need a referral, that is) to a neurologist, so that they can check you out (do an MRI and see if everything is in order physically). if things are ok, they will make you keep a headache diary, where you'll write how frequent your heachades are; when they usually happen (you say in the morning); what you did/ate/drank/etc. right before they started, and so on; and what kind of pills (OTC) you may have taken to ease the pain, and if they worked. all of this is done so that they will have an idea of what type of pain it is, and how to best treat it. it may not be migraine at all. there are so many types of headaches out there, it's incredible...and so many causes...

i truly empathize with you!!!!

p.s. topamax is the most wonderful med for (some) people who suffer from migraines!!! i am soooo thankful for it!!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #13

shye&curious HB User
Arrow Re: Best Antidepressants?

hi
like ppl have said, every med is diff for everyone... when i was taking prozac, i had decreased appetite and lost weight... i'm now looking for another med to go on though cuz prozac didnt work for me... so frustrating eh!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Lost_in_Time HB User

I've tried several....Lexapro, Welbutrin, Celexa..none of them worked. I'm on Cymbalta now and so far I'm doing okay on it.

Good luck finding what works for you...

Old 10-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #15
(female)

clover899 HB User

Well I've been off and on Celexa and it works for me. Celexa brought me out of a severe depression to a pretty mild depression. I was able to function in the world again..but now I just started it again and it takes about a month to kick in. Exeffor didn't work for me. I reacted adversly to it.

Closed Thread