It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Anyone crave chocolate and on tricyclics?

Hi all! I've been taking Doxepin for about 3 1/2 weeks, which is an old-fashioned tricyclic antidepressant for fibromyalgia and depression, anxiety, and it kind of helps with smoking cessation. I gave up all caffeine over 5 years ago( not an easy thing while being in recovery, too) and now all I want to do is eat M & M's!! I know these tca's give you a sweet tooth, but now I find I'm craving chocolate like it's my last day one Earth!! Anyone else in or not in recovery going through the same thing? Thanks!!

Old 09-14-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
(female)

squeakytoy HB User
Re: Anyone crave chocolate and on tricyclics?

I can't take tricyclics because of the weight gain. I couldn't control my appetite whatsoever. I craved spaghetti! I tried these drugs to control migraines. Some people can get their eating under control, but I could not.
Are you gaining any weight?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
(female)

catcopy HB User

Oh my goodness do I crave chocolate!!!! And carbs!!!!!!!! I've gained quite a bit of weight over the years that I've been on a tricyclic (Etrafon) antidepressant and I don't know what to do about it. My doctor has put me on different (newer) antidepressants but I cannot take them. He told me I'm not a good candidate for the seritonins so I guess I'll have to stick with my weight gain and tricyclics. I did join Weight Watchers a couple of years ago and lost about 22 lbs. but I stopped going and gained it back. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakytoy
I can't take tricyclics because of the weight gain. I couldn't control my appetite whatsoever. I craved spaghetti! I tried these drugs to control migraines. Some people can get their eating under control, but I could not.
Are you gaining any weight?
I'm heavy anyway, so haven't really gained at all. It figures, though--just when I can get a grip on the smoking thing, the caffeine urge pops up to say "hi" after five years! Not coffee, tea, or Coke--just M & M's--has to be peanut, not plain either. Not Reesie cups, Hershey bars, just the crunch of chocolate peanuts! I noticed today, though, that I had a migraine headache today and I'm wondering if the chocolate threw off the blood levels of the Doxepin. Would that make sense?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcopy
Oh my goodness do I crave chocolate!!!! And carbs!!!!!!!! I've gained quite a bit of weight over the years that I've been on a tricyclic (Etrafon) antidepressant and I don't know what to do about it. My doctor has put me on different (newer) antidepressants but I cannot take them. He told me I'm not a good candidate for the seritonins so I guess I'll have to stick with my weight gain and tricyclics. I did join Weight Watchers a couple of years ago and lost about 22 lbs. but I stopped going and gained it back. If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear about it.
I tried Etrafon earlier this year and the Trilafon in it(which I took years ago) affected me. They told me in the hospital years ago that I suffered from caffeinism which gave me intrusive thoughts, so that was why they put me on the Trilafon. After I gave up the caffeine, the intrusive thoughts went away and didn't need an anti-psychotic. It was good in a way, though, for the anxiety. I was on Paxil and Pexeva (the foreign version of Paxil) and it helped for a while but found I was becoming manic on it. I've got acid reflux, too so chocolate and ciggies aggravate that condition. How about you?

Old 09-15-2006, 04:16 AM   #6
(female)

squeakytoy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetofeelwell1
I'm wondering if the chocolate threw off the blood levels of the Doxepin. Would that make sense?
I really don't think this could happen. I wouldn't worry about that. If you think the chocoloate gives you a migraine, quit chocolate for at least 3 days and see if you get another one. Then eat it again, well you know the drill...

Old 09-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

catcopy HB User

What is the difference between Trifolon and Etrafon? I know Etrafon has an antidepressant plus antianxiety medication in it. My regular doctor does NOT want me on a tricyclic but my psychiatrist says there's no problem with it especially since I've proven I cannot take the newer seritonins. I hate having to take medications to make me feel ok in the first place but I know I don't have a choice. Thank goodness for these medications because I can't imagine my life if I had to feel sooooooo depressed and anxious all the time!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
What is the difference between Trifolon and Etrafon? I know Etrafon has an antidepressant plus antianxiety medication in it. My regular doctor does NOT want me on a tricyclic but my psychiatrist says there's no problem with it especially since I've proven I cannot take the newer seritonins. I hate having to take medications to make me feel ok in the first place but I know I don't have a choice. Thank goodness for these medications because I can't imagine my life if I had to feel sooooooo depressed and anxious all the time!
Hi Cat--Etrafon has Amitriptylene (tricyclic antidepressant) and Trilafon (perphe****ne) which is an older anti-psychotic but also used for agitation and anxiety, but was also used for chronic hiccups! I took Trilafon with Desipramine and Klonopin about 15 years ago before Paxil came out and it was a good combo. I almost died getting off of Klonopin, though--long story--but the one thing that the tricyclic-perphe****ne combo did was to help a jumpy stomach. I found it gave me a better quality of life because I was emotionally paralyzed from major depression and severe anxiety. You have to be careful though, if you start to show signs of an extrapyramidal disorder--almost like Parkinsonism. Just tell the Pdoc to give you either Cogentin or Benadryl. I hate to take meds, too, but it's still better than being despondent.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

it's funny that you crave m&m's. 20 some years ago i went through a severe depression and lost 40lbs. in two months. i started taking doxepin and gained back 50lbs. in one month with the help of m&m's. i would eat a large bag a day. hope that doesn't happen to you.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100
it's funny that you crave m&m's. 20 some years ago i went through a severe depression and lost 40lbs. in two months. i started taking doxepin and gained back 50lbs. in one month with the help of m&m's. i would eat a large bag a day. hope that doesn't happen to you.
Hi Marian--Like I'm not heavy enough already! (HAHA!!) You'll be proud of me--I went to an Alanon meeting tonight to keep busy, and you know what? After the meeting, I had my husband take me to the market so that I could get a big bag of Lay's potato chips with a side order of Lay's French onion dip! I was so proud of myself for not having chocolate that I celebrated with potatoes!! I feel like I'm pregnant again! When I was pregnant (starting weight of 111 lbs.), I craved tomatoes, cukes, AND M & M'S!!!!! (I'm absolutely cracking up laughing right now!) Nice drug this Doxepin, huh?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:35 AM   #11
(female)

chiapatchie HB User

Oh ****, this is too funny!! I'm on Paxil and totally love my chocolate!!

I especially adore Hersey's nugguts with almonds...yummmmy!! I buy them when I can but on a pension, that gets a little expensive...and, I have two guinea piggies who love their veggies, so THEY come first.

BUT, fellowette chocolate lovers, I discovered that Betty Crocker's Milk Choc CAKE FROSTING w/HERSEY'S CHOC is an excellent and less expensive solution to that crisis!!

****, what we go thru for OUR CHOCS, eh!!!

Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapatchie
Oh ****, this is too funny!! I'm on Paxil and totally love my chocolate!!

I especially adore Hersey's nugguts with almonds...yummmmy!! I buy them when I can but on a pension, that gets a little expensive...and, I have two guinea piggies who love their veggies, so THEY come first.

BUT, fellowette chocolate lovers, I discovered that Betty Crocker's Milk Choc CAKE FROSTING w/HERSEY'S CHOC is an excellent and less expensive solution to that crisis!!

****, what we go thru for OUR CHOCS, eh!!!
Well, today, I finished off the M & M"S in the house (1/2 a bag) and hopefully I won't get the migraine like the other day. I know what you're saying. It's like I like to smoke Benson and Hedges, but a pack of Mustangs or Dorals are more affordable. Which brings the next problem up--forever trying to quit smoking! My biggest problem is I hate to get used to side effects of meds and without a stimulant to offset them, I'm in the twilight zone for a few days. Even with being on an antidepressant which is supposed to make you feel better, it's hard to change as you get older. The side effects of things become more pronounced, weight is tougher to come off. By the way, I love my lemon-lime soda, too! It stinks--everything I love in this world is bad for me and I have to quit them all because fibromyalgia makes you SOOO sensitive to chemicals--external and internal. I took Paxil for almost two years and stopped for a bit. The doctor put me on the foreign, generic version called Pexeva and took that for about a year and a half and was starting to get manic, so I stopped in April. I was on 30 mg. of Paxil and about 30 to 40 mg. of Pexeva. I got off of both of them R-E-A-L-L-Y slow and had minimal withdrawal--very few zaps and was fine. If you ever decide to come off of it, ask your doctor to let you break the pieces of the tablets with a sharp knife so that you can gradually stop. But, back to the chocolate horrors! I can remember when I was pregnant that if I could have had M & M's only for Thanksgiving that year for dinner, I would have. My grandmother used to crack me up. She'd say she was on a diet and after dinner, break out the 5 lb. box of chocolate seconds for dessert. It's gotta be a genetic thing. How can someone be part German and never eat chocolate again? Life is not fair sometimes! Has anyone ever tried carob powder? It reminds me of chocolate without the kick. I would stick with it, but I can't even find it at the local health food store. Any suggestions? (I love your dizzies at the end of your quote!)

Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #13
(female)

catcopy HB User

I'm hooked on ice cream bars! Vanilla ice cream with chocolate coating. I buy 2 boxes of them and hide one box in the freezer and put one in the fridge. No one knows I have that extra one hidden out in the garage freezer.
I also love M&Ms and chocolate hershey kisses!! This is a question for Hopetofeelwell1. I wish I would have been talking to you right along about this tricyclic thing. My Etrafon has amitriptyline and perphenezine in it. My pharmacist told me I'm the only client they have that's on perphenezine! That scares me because my GP told me they could possibly take it off the market!!!! I guess amitriptyline is still prescribed quite a bit. Anyway, can they just take a medication off the market like that? What would happen if a person had to go cold turkey off it like that????!!!
My doc doesn't like me on the old fashioned tricyclics anyway and he tried to take me off 1-2-3. I got very sick, depressed, anxious and MISERABLE. I couldn't focus, eat, had horrid dreams and felt like I was dying. I went to a phsyciatrist and he put me back on Etrafon. I felt much better in a few days and he told me he didn't need to see me anymore unless I felt bad again.
Is that parkinson/type thing you were talking about the same thing as that tartive dyskinesia I've read about? Thanks for your info!!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Quote:
I'm hooked on ice cream bars! Vanilla ice cream with chocolate coating. I buy 2 boxes of them and hide one box in the freezer and put one in the fridge. No one knows I have that extra one hidden out in the garage freezer.
I also love M&Ms and chocolate hershey kisses!! This is a question for Hopetofeelwell1. I wish I would have been talking to you right along about this tricyclic thing. My Etrafon has amitriptyline and perphenezine in it. My pharmacist told me I'm the only client they have that's on perphenezine! That scares me because my GP told me they could possibly take it off the market!!!! I guess amitriptyline is still prescribed quite a bit. Anyway, can they just take a medication off the market like that? What would happen if a person had to go cold turkey off it like that????!!!
My doc doesn't like me on the old fashioned tricyclics anyway and he tried to take me off 1-2-3. I got very sick, depressed, anxious and MISERABLE. I couldn't focus, eat, had horrid dreams and felt like I was dying. I went to a phsyciatrist and he put me back on Etrafon. I felt much better in a few days and he told me he didn't need to see me anymore unless I felt bad again.
Is that parkinson/type thing you were talking about the same thing as that tartive dyskinesia I've read about? Thanks for your info!!!!!
Hi Cat! YES! That extrapyramidal thing goes along with tardive dyskinesia. The extrapyramidal thing that I had was called akithesia, which is involuntary movements of the limbs. I was not taken off of three psych meds properly 7 1/2 years ago and ended up with it and wanted to die so badly, and I mean jump off a cliff! My hands, tongue, and feet had uncontrolled movements and I ended up becoming a patient to a neurologist. He had the intelligence to put me on Neurontin for 6 months and gradually decrease the Neurontin down to nothing. What happens is that the nerve endings in that part of the brain short circuit and your extremities go haywire. The doctor I saw said this happens all the time! I couldn't believe it! I asked him if it only happened with Trilafon and the older major tranquilizer-anti psychotics. He said no--it has also happened with drugs like Zyprexa or Risperdal, just not as frequently. I could write a book. By the grace of God, it all went away and I am eternally grateful to that neurologist who in 6 months was more compassionate than the 7 or 8 years of indifferent psychiatrists and psychologists that I had seen. I'm not telling you this story to scare you, because everyone is different. I don't think they will discontinue perphe****ne altogether. There are people still taking Haldol and a few others in the phenothiazine families. To stop them could hurt a generation or so, I feel. My psychiatrist said he would never prescribe Etrafon alone because you cannot titrate the dose of the Trilafon in it safely in case of an agitated or psychotic episode and you had to increase it or adjust the amitriptyline. Believe me, I'm no doctor--I've only learned from the school of hard knocks--but I can tell you what it feels like to have the meds pulled right from under you. A good psych will ask for an EKG and an amitriptyline level occasionally to make sure you're at a therapeutic dose. Neurologists and psychiatrists both have to study the intricasies of the brain and nervous system. I just read that some of the tricyclics are being reintroduced in low doses because they have a better effect of pain relief as well as depression than the ssri's. If you feel that Etrafon works for you, which is not so terrible a drug, either, make sure you have a good psychiatrist and/or neurologist, and also check under your state government to see if they have a website that will give you information on the doctors in your area to see if they are reputable. Thanks for hearing me out & letting me put my 10 cents in. Love, Hopeto PS--Let us know how you make out!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

whoevea HB User

i craved every single food that was in the market when i was on Remeron.
craving food just sucks when your on an Antidepressant.

Closed Thread