It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
(female)

wave1014 HB User
First Visit to Psychiatrist

Hi,

I'm new to the boards and would like to say this seems like a great place to find support. I went to my first Psychiatrist appointment yesterday and it was ***arre. I had so much trouble finding a Psychiatrist that was accepting patients or that first required several visits to a counselor before you could see a Psychiatrist. So, when I finally found one I just went with him. My friend had advised me on a great one, as she experienced, but I couldn't get in. So, before giving up, I went with this unknown.

The office was in a bad part of the city and the other patients seemed like they were really out there. I felt extremely uncomfortable. I had to wait almost two hours before I got to see him. Inside his office was cluttered and his closets were filled with all sorts of medications.

He basically asked me why I was here and I explained being depressed, anxious, and experiencing panic attacks. I gave him a bit of history that included some of my bad expeiences in the past. He asked me a bunch of questions then asked me a few that made me uncomfortable. Like had I ever been molested, how was my sex drive, and had I experienced masturbation at an early age or the pleasures of it. I was just kind of shocked and too stunned to ask why he nedded to know this. Well, the sex drive I understood the reasons to ask, but the other two??? Why did he ask that?

At any rate, he said because I could eat, have sex, and not sleep my day away I was not depressed. I found this strange as my primary care Dr. and OBGYN precribed me AD's?? So, I was like I think I am depressed. So, he was like yea, you are but not severe. Then he said I was obsessive and had anxiety,which is true He prescribed me effexor, lamictal, ambien, and diazepam.

The place was scarry and so were the patients. Is this typical of a first visit, medications prescribed to me, and strange questions? Should I go back? And should I ask him why he brought up masturbation. I'm a little paranoid he is either crazy himself of a pervert.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: First Visit to Psychiatrist

Wave, good for you for going out to get help. I am not sure about the masturbation question, but sexual abuse is a very pertinent question because it causes a lot of problems. He diagnosed you correctly, though, you admit. Don't forget about adding therapy, too! Good luck to you.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

IMHO, way to many meds to start out with!

All meds carry risk of dependancy and tolerance. Tolerance is a bugger, as the need for more and more meds, higher doses develop. If one starts out with a med or two, at very low doses, obviously it takes awhile to develop tolerance issues but this guy is starting you out like gangbusters....a simulating antidepressant(alot like uppers but not classed as such); a mood stabilizer and two benzo(downers) drugs.

If the patients in his office looked scary, think a minute. They are all under his care, so either he made them that way or he certainly did not help them. You could become one of them, eeek.....

If you feel you must go to a psychiatrist, find another one and fast!!!!

Last edited by Jennita; 10-20-2006 at 10:59 AM.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

It sounds kind of odd to me. I would be looking for another therapist

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Can you go to doctor who is out of network and pay bigger co-payment but get person who is recommended, it is your health you are talking about. He seemed like give to much medications since he was busy and don't want to see you soon.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

His line of questioning sounds inappropriate. A two hour wait is unprofessional and something no patient should have to put up with. A good psychiatrist is more conservative about prescribing medications. Time to move on IMO. But I wouldn't pay any attention to the other patients. I don't believe that says anything about a doctor's abilities.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I think paying attention on other clients, appearance and location of the office is important. Generally successful doctor will have clients who's doing well in a safe neighbourhood with nice looking office.
The one I burned on has a house in a upscale neighbourhood but it was written all over that she is financially struggling - very dirty messy house, old car.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
(female)

honeybunners HB User

Wave, If it were me I would not go back. I have seen a psychiatrist before myself and for some reason did'nt feel real comfortable either.

I have also seen a couple of psycoligists too and felt much more confortable with them, though they can't prescribe any medication but you can go to you family doctor for that.

I also suffer from panic attacks and anxiety for almost 18 years now, I have been on many other meds before, right now i'm on zoloft and if I need it once in a while i take xanax for the anxiety. So far it seems to be working but you will always have your bad days too.

All I can say is that with any doctor if you don't feel comfortable, then find a new one, there a many out there. I myself feel more comfortable with a female doctor, but to some people it don't matter.

Good luck finding a doctor and I hope things get better for you!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
(female)

wave1014 HB User

Hi,

Thank you all for the post. I'm going to try to look for another Psychiatrist, but it's tough finding one in your network, coupled with not having to go to couseling visits first before seeing one.

I wanted to go to a P-doc to get a proper diagnosis and the right meds. My primary care prescribed celexa and buspirone and neither helped at all. And when it came time for fill my Xanax(.25mg), she'd give me 10 at a time that was suppose to last 2 months. She also made copies of the prescription and didn't seem comfortable giving it to me. I understand it can be addictive, but I have a total of 30 pills over that last six months. I really don't think it is a lot or enough for that matter. I suffer from extreme anxiety with panic attacks, and depression.

For 13 years I tried to cover up being depressed and having anxiety. Now, I've accepted I have mental health problems and it's just hard getting the proper help. I would much rather be "normal" and not have this or the meds.

Finding a Dr is tough and it just makes you want to give up and stay in the hole your in.

Thanks everyone

Old 10-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
(male)

okletsgo HB User

so wave how is it going with the meds he prescribe.???

Old 10-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

OMGoodness!! my first visit with my psy doctor was nothing like that. i think if it was i would not go back. i dont' have 2 hours to wait in a docs office. no one does. i found mine through a church i go to. i was going with counseling for a while for my grief over a petloss and one thing turned into another and now i'm dealing with major depression. my counselor helped me find a psychatrist. i like her alot now. i tried and tried to deal with it without medication but i just can't anymore. that seems like a lot of meds to start with. i've tried a couple but not all at the same time. i'm on prozac now and seems to be working.....finally i have some relief from this depression. i alos take ambian for sleeping. love that stuff.

well, hope your doing well...

Old 10-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
(female)

wave1014 HB User

hi,

I have to say the ambien has helped and so does the the diazepam. I think it's really too early to say whether the effexor or lamictal is working(only been 3 days). I have cried the last two days and I never do that. I don't know if it's because I stopped taking the celexa and buspirone or these new ones. All of the new meds are very low doses. I understand why he prescribed the ambien because I don't sleep. The diazepam will help until the effexor kicks in. I'm not really sure what lamictal purpose is or why he prescribed it.

I do have an appointment with my primary care Dr and I'm going to discuss my visit with the P- Dr and she what she thinks, maybe she can recommend someone else.

Thanks again

Old 10-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
(female)

1derer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave1014
Hi,

Thank you all for the post. I'm going to try to look for another Psychiatrist, but it's tough finding one in your network, coupled with not having to go to couseling visits first before seeing one.

I wanted to go to a P-doc to get a proper diagnosis and the right meds. My primary care prescribed celexa and buspirone and neither helped at all. And when it came time for fill my Xanax(.25mg), she'd give me 10 at a time that was suppose to last 2 months. She also made copies of the prescription and didn't seem comfortable giving it to me. I understand it can be addictive, but I have a total of 30 pills over that last six months. I really don't think it is a lot or enough for that matter. I suffer from extreme anxiety with panic attacks, and depression.

For 13 years I tried to cover up being depressed and having anxiety. Now, I've accepted I have mental health problems and it's just hard getting the proper help. I would much rather be "normal" and not have this or the meds.

Finding a Dr is tough and it just makes you want to give up and stay in the hole your in.

Thanks everyone
Wow. That is almost to the letter what happened when I tried to gets meds from my family doc. I had documented visits to the ER from panic attacks, I'm 43, and yet she still treated me like a junkie rationing me to maybe 15-.5mg lorazepams every 2 to 3 months. I am regularly seeing a psychologist, and even she is expressing doubts about whether we're coming to a correct diagnosis, and so has suggested seeing a psychiatrist. I have been on every SSRI there is, seriously, and they're all just a different verion of hell for me. She is saying she's thinking I may be bipolar II. Which may well be easier to deal with than ongoing stress, anxiety, depression, and compulsive behaviour. But this is where the expertise of a psychiatrist comes into the picture, I suppose. I feel like I've been dealing with junk science for the past 13 years. Every single doctors pushing antidepressents like candy. I'm ready to hear something I can use already. As for your psychiatrist, I would say that first, that does sound like a lot of meds. I too would feel funny about those questions, but they're not neccesarily out of line for treatment evaluation purposes. And last, there may not be much to what you perceived about the patients or the surroundings. Some doctors simply work in areas, and "areas", where they feel they can do the most good. If in the future your gut tells you to look elsewhere, then do.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #14
(female)

KindlyKat HB User
Thumbs down Re: First Visit to Psychiatrist

That doctor sounds creepy, haven't been to a psychiatrist yet but I know if I were you I would keep looking even though it sucks and it's hard. It's not worth dealing with a quack like that when you're in such a fragile state. If you have to go back to him I would simply tell him that he's making you feel uncomfortable, and if he could 'take things slow'. Then I'd get rid of him as soon as an opening appeared.

Gezz, good luck with your search!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:30 AM   #15
(female)

wave1014 HB User

Hi,

Thank you all for your post. I have tried calling around and I am getting messages about leaving a message or I get the same run-around, with first having to see a psychologist several times and then they could refer me to a psychiatrist. I think I amgoing to go back next week to my scheduled appointment with this current psychiatrist, give it a second chance and go from there. Do you think I should mention some of those strange questions he asked me. I wish I could have questioned him right when he brought them up, but I was way too anxious.

Thanks again

Closed Thread