It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

missedthemark HB User
Question Abilify for anger

My gf came home form the hospital two weeks ago, being essentially imprisoned, she has been VERY angry the last two weeks. All she does is scream and cry and say nasty things. She was semi functioning before. worked 2 days a week, went to school sometimes and did a lot of household chores. Now she just sleeps, screams, and apologizes.
anyhow, she recieved a diagnosis for ADD on top of her depression, anxiety and OCD. But the doc refused to start her on anything for the ADD until she calmed down, she is livid with the doctor who had her locked up.
the new doctor didn't want to give her the new nmeds, sees that she has not calmed down one bit, and prescribed her Abilify forr the anger I suppose. I'm wondering what I can expect out of this drug, how fast it starts working, if it works, etc.

Thanks

Last edited by missedthemark; 10-25-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: Abilify for anger

hi there,

although they've classified abilify as an anti-psychotic, it's used for other pursposes as well, such as bipolar, and probably as a mood stabilizer--i guess ultimately, all these meds stabilize one's mood to a certain extent...

as to how fast it starts working--as with all these types of meds, to get the absolute full effect of it, it should be given a four-six week time span to get into the system. although, i really believe she should feel something by the end of the second week of takign it. it should be taken everyday, just like the doctor prescribed it. it works in some people, but it may not work in others. it is possible that it will work for your girlfriend!!!

good luck to you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
(male)

missedthemark HB User

Thanks,
I read somer posts here where people felt a difference after a couple of days, I'm hoping we'll see something, because we need it!!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

just wanted to say that you're a good person to stand by your girlfriend and to support her at this difficult time in her life. many people wish they had at least someone like you!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
(male)

missedthemark HB User

Funny thing is, she's so mad at me for emailing some threatrs to her doctor(which landed her in the hospital) that she's thinkjng about leaving me. I did it only because I was genuinely concerned she would hurt herself in the NEAR future. She had to drop school and work as a result, and now blames me for ruining her life, says she hates me. But that comes and goes, it's been 4 weeks since she came home, and I hope she'll egt over it at some point, but she's not sure she will.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

you know her better than any of us on this board, and you probably did the right thing. if the doctors considered she would do best in a hospital setting, it means she is really and truly not doing well at all right now!

the only reason she's mad at you is that she's in the hospital. you didn't ruin anything for her!!! she just can't see anything "good" right now, because of her problems--it's like having a veil over her eyes....

it may take a while for her to get better, i don't know, but you did your best. what more could you have done?

does she have parents or extended family that can be there for her as well? i'm not saying you're not enough, but it may very well become a big strain on you as well, going it alone!!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
(male)

missedthemark HB User

Her parents are involved. It took them a while to see how extensive the problem was, she does a good job of hiding it around them and just unloading when she comes home to me. She's been home 4 weeks now, and the anger seems to have gotton worse not better. She's had a couple of bad things happen, not the least of which was her Aunt commiting suicide last week. Times are tough now, fortunately I believe better times are to come, and I'm going to stand by her.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

i'm glad you're not alone in all of this!!!! it sounds very difficult for one person to go through. let her parents take the lead if you can, for a while at least, but stay around. it's truly unfortunate when traumas such as these (i.e., her aunt's death) happen--they have an enourmous impact on sensitive ppl like your girlfriend.

just know you did the best you could!!!!!!!!!!!!

and dont' forget to take care of yourself too!!!

keep us posted! or, vent! or....anything...

p.s. it's good that you have an optimistic, positive attitude!!

Old 10-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
(male)

missedthemark HB User
Unhappy Re: Abilify for anger

Another blow today. My girlfriend is big into our pets (we have 2 dogs and 4 cats) and one of her foster kittens was diagnosed with FIP, which is fatal. She will have to be put down. This of course was her favorite kitten. I feel so terrible for her, it's not fair, I just wish some of this pain could be visited on me instead, I can take it. This is ghetting to be entirely too much for my girlfriend. She was having such a good day today too. I'm leaving wwokr now and I'm going to go comfort her as best I can. I know I can't make her happy though, which is the only thing I want in this world.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
(male)

missedthemark HB User

She's still SO angry with me. she's skipping the shrink today and going to pick up her kitten, refusing to put it down, contradicting the opinion of two vets. she insists that I ruined her life, she won';t let me touch her. We have had sex once in the last 2 months and afterwards she told me that she didn't enjoy it because all she could think about during it was how much she hated me for doing this to her.

I don't know how I can stay in this relationship. I pour EVERY OUNCE of my energy into it and all I get in return is hate and anger and sadness.

Closed Thread