It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

sunshine x x HB User
Meds - Hide the problem or just put us off dealing with the problem???

I have been on and off my meds since I was about 20! At the moment i've gone back on Prozac as just split with boyfriend and have felt the old feelings of depression slowly coming back, I know my body pretty well and thought i'd do somehting about it before it really bacame a big problem like in the past. Now i'm feeling alot better after taking them for 4 weeks i'm not constantly crying, or feeling as depressed and worthless anymore I feel kind of calm and numb and I guess a little emotionless! What im wondering is are the meds just numbing everything and hiding how I really feel, once I come off them will all the emotions come flooding back and are the meds just putting off me having to deal with everything.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Meds - Hide the problem or just put us off dealing with the problem???

I have heard that you can medicate the depression to a point where you feel fine and then don't deal with the issues that are causing the depression. If the person can deal with the issues then maybe the depression can go away and then you wouldn't need meds. But also people can need meds to get to a point where they can function and then deal with the issues. Like everything in life you have to find the balance and trial and error I guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

inda HB User

Meds could mask the problem... but I think they would not keep the depression at bay for long. My depression is "clinical" meaning my brain's neurotransmittors do not function correctly. Also at times my brain becomes med resistant and I go into a deep depression and am unable to find a med that works. I have done "talk therapy" but find that it doesnt seem to help.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
(male)

Artie E HB User

Meds can mask the problem.Therapy with medication really does help alot.I have been on zoloft for a year now and have been going to therapy for a year and I have my moments but for the most part I feel alot better.Try therapy it can help you.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
(female)

spursbythebeach HB User

I've had depression since childhood. It got worse when I was about 14 and has been recurring continuously since. I received counselling for nearly 3 years and it just helped me get by week by week and didn't really help with the really bad bouts of depression. When I was first prescribed meds when I was 19 because I was getting panic attacks but the paroxetine didn't help, just changed my personality and numbed me to other people.I came off them and just tried relying on friends then recently things worsened and I agreed to go back on meds as well as going back to counselling. The counsellor has a different approach to past ones which is hard but making a difference but I'm having big probs with the meds. Doc has already tried me on another two and they're not working at all just making me ill. I know they have worked for others just don't seem to be making any improvement for me.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

I question how long an ad can mask a problem. The root of the problem is unresolved. That might explain tolerance or a poor response to meds.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

My depression lies within the chemicals in my brain and the life I have lived til now. It took a long time to come up with the cocktail I take now - effexor, wellbutrin, remeron, zyprexa, temazepam, lithium - which barely is able to keep me stable. I know the meds will not cure my depression it is going to involve work with myself and my therapist, once I get one, the meds are doing there job for half of the problem.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 10-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine x x
I have been on and off my meds since I was about 20! At the moment i've gone back on Prozac as just split with boyfriend and have felt the old feelings of depression slowly coming back, I know my body pretty well and thought i'd do somehting about it before it really bacame a big problem like in the past. Now i'm feeling alot better after taking them for 4 weeks i'm not constantly crying, or feeling as depressed and worthless anymore I feel kind of calm and numb and I guess a little emotionless! What im wondering is are the meds just numbing everything and hiding how I really feel, once I come off them will all the emotions come flooding back and are the meds just putting off me having to deal with everything.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.
I think it depends. If you (general audience) are severely depressed then an antidepressant will pull you back out of the pit so you CAN deal with any issues. When you're at the deepest end of the pool struggling, it's very hard to work on issues. It's much easier to work on them when your feet are touching the bottom of the pool and you can breathe. That's what I think meds can help with (but don't always)--getting one on firm footing.

Therapy is helpful, but if you are battling the depression it is really hard to take in other information, or see reality from the same place you normally would. Depression is like trying to see through mud. Once you get out of the mud, your perception is different. If meds help with that, great. If therapy helps with that, great. And rumor has it that the combination of meds and therapy is best.

With grief and loss......my experience is I could still cry and grieve--it just didn't run away with me. I could cope. --with meds that is.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:35 AM   #9
(male)

Amado HB User

Hi Sunshine,

Depression is almost as generic a term as "happiness"...just what the hell does that mean?

Study after study have shown that depression is best treated with a 3-pronged approach: meds + exercize + cognitive therapy.

After 15+ years of treatment for my chronic depression I've come to think of it as genetics + body + environment.

Those of us who are depressed are not exactly 33.3% deficient in all of the three areas... you may be 20 - 30 - 50 and I may be 50 - 10 - 40...capiche?

To say that meds are preventing you from dealing with the real problem is the same as saying that the genetics and body components don't exist and that all that is really important is the environmental factor....NOT SO!

The same environmental or "wrong-thinking" (i.e cognitive factor) may contribute to mild disconfort in some of us, or an extreme suicidal depression on a couch-potato with a genetic predisposition...

Personally, I find that 150 mg of Effexor + 150 mg of Wellbutrin + 4 to 5 hours per week at the gym bring me to the point where I can realistically deal with all of life's little dilemmas and feel the joy (or sadness) they bring.

But that's just me...

I find "cognitive re-programming" a tough road... and I most certainly do not feel that my meds are in any way preventing me with dealing with "issues"...quite the opposite... my meds + exercize regime are allowing me to do so effectively...

Hope this helps you sweety

Closed Thread