It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
(female)

sophiegurl HB User
Arrow Lamictal

I am interested in hearing about how others have reacted to Lamictal. I was diagnosed with manic depression/bi polar yadda yadda depression, about 11 years ago. Since then, I have tried all the meds but have been left with some of my symptoms more enhanced, or so it would seem because the meds would only treat half of them. I have been off meds for 2 years and as I approach 45, I am finding it harder and harder to control my anxiety and depression etc. What about the omega 3 fish oil infomation regarding depression ?

Old 11-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User
Re: Lamictal

A friend of mine is on Lamictal for epilepsy and has lost a lot of hair. That is it for his side effects I believe.

Last edited by Seymour93; 11-25-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

sophiegurl HB User

Thankyou. I know it is primarily used for epilepsy but there has been great results, so I've read, about use for anxiety.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Hey there. I don't have bipolar; just regular old depression, for better or for worse. But I do take Lamictal, I've been on it for nearly 6 weeks now (currently on 100 mg/day... working up to 200mg/day, but won't reach taht point for another several weks; you need to go on it very, very slowly.)

I think there is something to be said for this medication. I have not had any side effects.. maybe some tiredness, but it's hard to say, because i've always been kind of a chronically tired person anyway.. (And now I am yawning as I write this... lol)

I am also on Wellbutrin and Lexapro. But it was only after I'd been on the Lamictal for several weeks (around the 4-5 week point) that I've really started feeling better.. more interested in taking care of myself, looking nice, staying healthy, keeping my house organized and neat, etc. etc... all stuff that I used to not have motivation for. So, is it the Lamictal, or is it just coincidence? I guess one can never know for sure... But, as I said, no side effects.. so for now, it's a keeper.

Just make sure you go on it very, VERY slowly... and keep in mind it's not offered generically yet, so it is kind of expensive. (My psychiatrist has been really generous w/ the free samples, which is awesome..) Anywho.. remember, there are always new treatments being formed.. don't give up!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
(female)

sophiegurl HB User

Thanks wanderingsoul, I appreciate it. You have just described basically what my friend has experinced. I always have hope. I have obviously been this way years before diagnosis and I am still living and loving, it just seems as we get older, and our lives change, things seem a little harder when one is blessed with depression and such. So, I am not feeling as if I am giving up because I need to finally turn to medication. I am thankful for my options!!!

Old 11-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

beach4me HB User

I have tried several AD's with little help. When my doc added lamictal. WOW, what a difference! No side effects here. I have taken it for 7 mths now.

I did ramp up very slowly. It was when I was to 100mg that I really began to feel the difference. Now at 200mg.

Can't say enough good things....And by the way, I am not bi-polar.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
(female)

loufrank HB User

Lamictal is great! Very few side effects. Stopped my anger and racing thoughts.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
(female)

Carmella1543 HB User

Lamicital also made my hair fall out. Helps to get you to sleep though if you have sleeping problems.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Kymberlee HB User

My husband is going to try this one, too. He's slowly going off Effexor and his PDOC is switching him onto this. I've read good things so far about this drug! I am really hoping that this will take away some of my DH's anger. It's been bbbaaaadddd for years! Time will tell. I'll let you all know how it goes, if you're interested. Kym.

Closed Thread