It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Tired of doctors...medications, medications, medications...

Hi there,

I am currently recieving treatment for depression, OCD, borderline personality disorder/mood swings, anxiety, and ADHD. I don't even know if all of this crap is real. But anyway, my doctor has me on three medications: 150 Effexor, 150 Lamictal, and 30 Adderall. I'm tired of being on so many medications and am thinking of easing off of them and taking a more holistic/herbal approach.

Does anyone else have experience with holistic/herbal treatment of mental disorders? Success? Just wondering, I really want to change to more natural treatments, but don't want to suffer too much from the lack of medication either.

Thankies,

-Vers

Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User
Re: Tired of doctors...medications, medications, medications...

Versailles,
Having one mental illness often increases the likelihood of having others. Are you having any actual problems with your meds, other than just being tired of having to take them? If not, my recommendation from personal experience is to NOT stop taking them.

I've had plenty of times the last 7 years where I thought, "You know, I don't think I'm really depressed. I probably don't need this medication," and stopped altogether. Generally, going back on them, I did not have as good results as the first time. My depression has worsened over time, due to not treating it consistently (depressive symptoms, when not treated, tend to increase over time).

Now I am on Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Lamictal. And I think I have finally found a combination that works.. at least for now (knock on wood). And I know now, never to stop.. and believe me, the thought has crossed my mind... because we tend to forget how ill we once were.

As far as natural remedies go, I have not had much luck when using them alone. I do take Omega-3 pills every day, because they are supposed to help with neurotransmitter function, and have other health benefits as well. I also take a daily vitamin (best to get them from whole foods concentrate; Solgar makes a really good one, you take it 3x a day. (The once-a-day ones cannot be properly absorbed by your body.) Regular exercise is also good, for a number of reasons. And of course, getting enough sleep, which seems to be a problem for a lot of us on here. And diet can make a huge difference. (Get in those fruits and veggies!) And I'm sure there are other basic ones that I'm forgetting to list here. But all of these can be done <i>in conjunction</i> with medications.

Yes, the drug companies strive to make a profit, above all else.. But, if something works, then it works.. regardless of the intentions behind its manufacturers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

I'm just rather with my doctors right now. Everytime I try to tell them about how I feel...ya know expecting to be able to talk about it, I'm stopped and told, well that's just a symptom of this... I really am just tired of doctors. I don't want to go back...not even for prescriptions.

The worst of it, is I've been on dozens and dozens of different meds and still have these extremely violent moods swings. I don't recall them being as bad as they have become after starting meds however. I've tried different ones...so many, and still I am just not satisfied. To makes things worse, I've lost what once made me excited about life.

So, ya, I was depressed, very, very depressed, but I'm just to the point that I can't handle the $100 a month for meds... along with being "dead" to the world...and I don't want to go through changing with anymore meds. Everytime I change...either it doesn't work, or it gives me headaches or makes me throw up. Then it is no more than a big waste of money.

I'm just sick and tired of everything. I'm not sure if I ever want to go see a psych ever again. I just don't know...I really don't know.

What in the world is going on with me? grrr...

-Vers

Old 11-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
(male)

Pianoman1959 HB User
Smile Re: Tired of doctors...medications, medications, medications...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Versailles*
But anyway, my doctor has me on three medications: 150 Effexor, 150 Lamictal, and 30 Adderall. I'm tired of being on so many medications and am thinking of easing off of them and taking a more holistic/herbal approach.

Hello. Your drug "cocktail" is quite similar to mine: 150 Effexor XR, 2 MG Klonopin, 30 Adderall. I don't have a great deal of faith in holistic/herbal approaches for moderate to severe disorders. If I switched from Effexor to St Johns Wart, I'd be in deep trouble. Sounds like you might qualify for VNS? Ask your doc about that. Maybe your insurance would cover it??

Old 11-29-2006, 04:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i'm in the boat of not taking anything. i am so sick of being sick from meds and the money it costs to try this and that. i am depressed with GAD and PTSD and am jumping out of my skin and anxious as all get out. knowing everything i have tried there really isn't anything left and i have given up trying.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
(male)

Breezes HB User

I've tried a lot of alternative products and have only found one that is effective. Fish oil. A lot of studies have been done on fish oil and depression. It has been shown to be effective. I think it's the safest of the alternative products.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #7
(male)

Pianoman1959 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezes
I've tried a lot of alternative products and have only found one that is effective. Fish oil. A lot of studies have been done on fish oil and depression. It has been shown to be effective. I think it's the safest of the alternative products.
Thank you for the info. Does fish oil work on folks like me.....where without any meds, the bottom drops out and I am unable to bring myself out of it???

I don't like taking meds either. I doubt many folks on this board like taking meds. At times, I wonder about the long term effects of some of these meds. For me, if meds don't keep me "functional", the next step would be VNS. I had shock treatments 30 yrs ago and had little success...not a route I want to go.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
(female)

bloodyhell HB User

I'm not sure if fish oil is enough to get out of the black hole, but it's a start. I like to think that if I am not doing everything possible to scare of the "black dogs" of depression, then I won't turn to a quick fix that will only stuff things underground until the next time. In other words, fish oil sure can't do any worse than doing nothing. I have gotten out of the black hole by adding homeopathic remedies and vitamin/mineral supplements, plus increasing physical activity and trying to avoid those over the counter or prescription fixes. Sometimes I have had to ride out the deepest black hole, and sure enough, things get a little lighter and brighter with time. Enough light gets in to show me a path to follow. I hope the same works for you. Give it time, give it a fair try. Maybe we get depressed when our physical needs are not being met. Good food, exercise, avoidance of quick fixes may help us to prevent a recurrence.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
(male)

Breezes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman1959
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Thank you for the info. Does fish oil work on folks like me.....where without any meds, the bottom drops out and I am unable to bring myself out of it???
Pianoman,

I think it would vary from person to person like most treatments seem to. Fish oil has been shown to help a number of psychiatric problems and other health conditions. It helps restore neurotransmitters and hormones to normal levels. For me, it's another piece of the puzzle. It doesn't give me the dramatic boost that exercise does, but it definitely works.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Fish oil was not enough for me. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
(male)

jason_arntz HB User

Fish oil wont cut it for most, neither will many natural alternatives...there is just as much misinformation about natural supplements than there is medication...this is not to say i support psycho-active drugs...on the contrary, i wish i was never put on them..but i dont like to give people false hopes either. Its just that people WANT these supps to work, but most of the time they dont. Examples include fish oil, tryptophan, sam-e (might work but very expensive and impractical), whereas supps like 5htp and st johns wort have more merit to them in my opinion.

Last edited by jason_arntz; 11-29-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #12
(male)

mongomad HB User
Lightbulb Re: Tired of doctors...medications, medications, medications...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Versailles*
I'm just rather with my doctors right now. Everytime I try to tell them about how I feel...ya know expecting to be able to talk about it, I'm stopped and told, well that's just a symptom of this... I really am just tired of doctors. I don't want to go back...not even for prescriptions.

The worst of it, is I've been on dozens and dozens of different meds and still have these extremely violent moods swings. I don't recall them being as bad as they have become after starting meds however. I've tried different ones...so many, and still I am just not satisfied. To makes things worse, I've lost what once made me excited about life.

So, ya, I was depressed, very, very depressed, but I'm just to the point that I can't handle the $100 a month for meds... along with being "dead" to the world...and I don't want to go through changing with anymore meds. Everytime I change...either it doesn't work, or it gives me headaches or makes me throw up. Then it is no more than a big waste of money.

I'm just sick and tired of everything. I'm not sure if I ever want to go see a psych ever again. I just don't know...I really don't know.

What in the world is going on with me? grrr...

-Vers
I don't even really know what my diagnosis is. I just take pills that seemingly do nothing but waste my money, Xanax (anxiety), Seroquel (sleep), Czymbalta (depression), Amphetamine (upper), Hydrocodone (pain med for back surgery) and Hyzaar (high blood pressure).

I take them because I want to be there for my kid as long as I can. I am sure there is someone wanting you to be around as you sound so reasonable in your efforts to control your problems. And, when you go to the Dr., take a written list of questions and take notes of answers (a friend will nearly always be allowed in and 4 ears are better than 2). My wife makes sure they are not giving me a snowjob.

If you think of questions on a new prescription after you leave, talk to your pharmaccist AND call your Dr. back about it. Dr's are rushed these days, you must make them answer your questions or take your business elsewhere. There are places to formally complain, but I find speaking firmly and clearly about what this Dr. would not do as I stroll out seems to get results as I repeat them on my return visit in the same manner. Strike up a conversation with another patient, so that the secretary overhears, asking for their opinion and offer yours about said Dr. (use this as a last method and if the visit still is not satisfatory, explain you would like your medical records prepared so that you can bring them to another Dr.).

They work for you and you do pay them, not only with your co-pay, but all they have deducted for medical from your paycheck. Demand the best!

That brief visit can be the difference between long-term freedom or frustration. If it is the latter, make damn sure the Dr. hears about it on the next visit. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Here's to you being perfectly fine VERY soon!

Closed Thread