It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

Calamity3039 HB User
Depression and Sleeping

I was wondering if anyone else with depression have sleeping problems? For some reason I find it hard to sleep at night. I was told to take melatonin to get my sleep pattern under control. But that takes 4 weeks to completely work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Depression and Sleeping

Depression normaly effects sleep by the person getting too much or to little. I sleep up to 14 hours a night and the average is around 10 hours or so. Can't your doctor give you a sleeping med like trazadone or temazapam?

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 01:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

yes, i do. i dont' sleep well at all. i have to take ambian CR to get any decent sleep. i asked my psychatrist about it and she said its the depression that is causing it. if i dont' take ambian i sleep maybe 5 hours. if i do i sleep 10. right now i'm up at 1am. slept maybe 4 hours. now i will have a hard time getting back to sleep. i dont like to take ambian every night since i lingers into the next day and i'm tired most of that day.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

is it because of anxiety? i have sleeping problems due to anxiety.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
(male)

Breezes HB User

Depression and some antidepressants disrupt sleep. The best thing for me is getting enough physical activity during the day. It calms the mind. I need to avoid naps and maintain fairly regular sleep times. Oversleeping makes me feel more depressed, and it makes sleeping well the next night difficult.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I started having trouble sleeping a few years ago. I started sleeping less and less, until I got to the point that I didn't get any sleep at all for almost a week. I thought it was moving out on my own for the first time that did it. Now, I believe it's tied into depression/anxiety. Around the time my sleeping problems began is when I started feeling emotionally unbalanced. My doctor prescribed a combination of amitriptyline hcl (elavil) and melatonin. It didn't take four weeks for melatonin to work for me, but maybe that's because I was taking 50mg elavil with it. The first night on this combo, I got 4 hours of sleep, and the next day, I got 11 hours. This is after not sleeping for a week. It's been five years since then, and I'm still taking it. My doctor says that it's safe to take long-term and that some people just need help getting to sleep. I'm trying to wean off it, though, but am not having much luck.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User

I have chronic depression and have been on AD meds for quite a while. A little over a year ago I began haiving some really significant sleep problems. I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air. During the day, I was so very tired. Then, I went to my regular doc who sent me to a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist scheduled a sleep study. As a result, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea-30 apnea events per hour. I have used a C-PAP for the past year. Sleep apnea can cause depression or it can certainly worsen the symptoms.

Closed Thread