It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

sixsongcd HB User
depression? please help.

ok first off i guess ill start by saying ive gone through a lot of stuff recently thats been really upsetting and could quite easily be described as major or lifechanging.
i havent been able to eat for days, im just not hungry. ill think i am so ill start eating but it'll make me feel too sick so i have to stop.
and ill stay up all night one night and then the next night only get 2-3 hours of sleep.
i cry all the time as well.
i was wondering if this could possibly be depression?

and if so, are there any natural ways to treat it?
my mom will NOT let me go on anti-depressants under any circumstances

Old 12-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User
Re: depression? please help.

It certainly sounds like depression to me. You should have this confirmed by your family doctor. And while you are there you can ask about St. John's Wort, Sam-E and any other herbal treatments he or she might know about. There are others listed in the board somewhere, but those are the two most commonly mentioned and the only ones I can remember at the moment.

Please be aware that you should be even more careful with herbal treatments than you would be with conventional medications because herbals are not regulated and there can be major fluctuations in consistency from one batch to the next. Pharmaceutical drugs are closely regulated by the federal government (of whatever country you are in) and they are rigidly consistent from one batch to the next. And if anything goes wrong with a drug that gets missed during inspection but is found out about later the government with do a highly publicized recall of all bottles with the lot number of the bad batch. You don't get that kind of protection with some herbals. However, there are certain brands that you can trust (Nature's Way is one that comes to mind).

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you are able to find something that works for you.

Last edited by Alex6657; 12-02-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

sixsongcd HB User

thank you very much

Old 12-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

beach4me HB User

You do sound depressed to me. I don't know your age..but are you by chance college age? If you attend school then they could help you. Talk with your school advisor.

If you are in High School then go see your school counselor. Tell her what is going on and ASK for help. If this has been going on more than 2 weeks...you are going to need some assistance..whether talking to someone, taking meds or great multi vitamins.

Don't wait too long....it might get worse and that would not be a good thing.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

A good B-complex vitamin along with a multi-vitamin may help. I take whole food vitamins sold at the vitamin store and they work great for me. I've taken Centrum before (synthetic vitamins) and they've done nothing for me.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-02-2006 at 07:03 PM.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Medications are just a small part of recovery for depression. You can also seek the help of a good therapist who will be able to help you as well give you some alternatives to antidepressants. Also begin to keep a journal and write in it each day about your feelings, what you have experienced that day, etc.

Last edited by Happy Days; 12-02-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
(female)

sixsongcd HB User

im in 10th grade, i was thinking about asking our guidence counsellor for some help or advice, or just to talk.
thanks for your thoughts and concern

Old 12-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsongcd
im in 10th grade, i was thinking about asking our guidence counsellor for some help or advice, or just to talk.
thanks for your thoughts and concern
That sounds like the best solution for you at this point in time. Now I understand why you mom won't let you take antidepressants. Doctors are quite reluctant to prescribe them to anyone under .... 18? .... and it's not really recommended by the drug companies either.

If your guidance counsellor is unable to accomodate you he or she will definitely point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

(BTW I agree with Happy... journals do help. A LOT!)

Last edited by Alex6657; 12-04-2006 at 05:36 AM.

Closed Thread