It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
(male)

Pianoman1959 HB User
Arrow Any Good News with Meds??

Of the dozens of posts that I have read on this message board, it seems that the overall experience with ADs and related meds is pretty negative. Perhaps we all tend to type messages when things are going bad? I haven't done a formal count but there seems to be ten bad med experiences for every one good experience. Are there folks on this site that are having success with their meds? Anybody out there that is thankful for a med that is saving them from intolerable depression? I've been suffering from major depression my entire life. I am on three meds that are basically keeping me alive. I just thought it would be nice to hear some positive experiences. This depression board is starting to make me depressed!!

Old 12-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User
Re: Any Good News with Meds??

it does get rather depressing here doesn't it. i can tell you i'm on prozac and its working wonderful for me. i've also had major depression. tried a couple different meds. right now prozac is great. i'm more calm, relaxed, feel some better about myself in general. still need to work on other issues that get me down but prozac is helping me to deal with those things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
(male)

Pianoman1959 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokie
it does get rather depressing here doesn't it. i can tell you i'm on prozac and its working wonderful for me. i've also had major depression. tried a couple different meds. right now prozac is great. i'm more calm, relaxed, feel some better about myself in general. still need to work on other issues that get me down but prozac is helping me to deal with those things.

Thank you Mokie. I took Prozac and it helped me for many years. Yes, I need to work on other issues as well. These meds don't solve all of our problems, although it seems that some people may expect them to. The important thing is that when a med is working correctly, we become able to work on other issues. Without my meds, I could work on issues until Hell freezes over but will accomplish nothing.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

beach4me HB User

I am having a good experience with meds. Although, I have to say I had a terrible experience until I finally went to a meds Doc and NOT my General Dr or OB/GYN.

I too have suffered from depression the majority of my life and it was only getting worse.

Thank God for the medicine. I never want to live without it. Nor does my family. And although, I am still making some changes here and there to fine tune it.....I am finally living again!

Old 12-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi pianoman,

"The important thing is that when a med is working correctly, we become able to work on other issues. Without my meds, I could work on issues until Hell freezes over but will accomplish nothing."

this is exactly my feeling!!! and yes, i always thank God for having given people the idea and the know-how of inventing / discovering certain medications.

Old 12-02-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I have been on Effexor and Ativan and it controlled my depression for two years up until a few months ago. I have had a lot of stress over the past months. I am now in the dark pit and trying to crawl my way back up. My doctor put me on Effexor, Cymbalta, and Ativan. We are in the process of trying different combinations to see what works the best. The meds are only a part of the healing process. I also need my regular therapy sessions and am also looking into acupuncture, which I hear works. If it were not for the meds, I would not be able to function or perhaps not even be alive. I will probably be on some type of meds until the end. You have to do whatever works for you.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I'm doing well with Lexapro. I'm not focusing on the negative, crying, or having suicidal thoughts every day like I was before. Life isn't perfect, but I feel more balanced and more prepared to deal with life's imperfections head on. I did have a rough spot when I went through a work event that almost pushed me over the edge. Something clicked in me though that took me out of the daze and toward help. I doubt that after going though all the stuff earlier this year that brought me down, then going through this recent event, I'd have pulled through w/o medication. I wish that my cousin and uncles would've given this a try - maybe it would've helped them, too.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
(male)

Pianoman1959 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine0806
I wish that my cousin and uncles would've given this a try - maybe it would've helped them, too.
Sunshine,

Thank you for the response. It's good to know that some folks are having success with meds. Yes, depression runs in families and the family members that need help the most are often the most relucatant to get help. I have recently learned that my grandmother and great-uncle committed suicide many years ago. I take it that your cousin and uncles suffer from depression??

Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
(female)

kj_johnson HB User

Im also doing well on Lexapro, 20mg. I added Wellbutrin to it 3 months ago and the WB didn't help anything. I just quit it 5 days ago and feel better already. I quit Lexapro thinking I was OK and within 10 days I could tell, got a little thinking "i din't need to be here anymore, I've already f===ed things up, etc." Lexapro works quickly for me. With no side effects except for being tired

I don't know where I'm at, at this point. I think I can make it with nothing. I have still alot of anger/frustration about my mom. She was put onn Stellazine and Thorazine in the 70's. At that time I guess that was the drugs of choice. Leaving people so sedated, I'll never forget the "ThorazineShuffle" with her.

In her case, it was the meds causing the problem. Didn't mean to get off on that tanget, just keeps me alet about all the meds with the cure all kj

Old 12-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
(female)

kj_johnson HB User

I had to re post sorry for the negativity I just kee p thinking if i exercise more, eat right, go to groups or church, call family friends, move,get a car, go back to school, that depression will get better. And it does get better with those aforementioned, but I wan't to feel GREAT now. So no matter what stage of depression you're in, be grateful for hmmm. 1 or 2 things you've done this day that moves you upward, I have alot of physical goals, at 55 , and my lunges are alot better LOL, instead of playing spades online, i need some other mentally challenging game, rambling kj

Old 12-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman1959
Sunshine,

Thank you for the response. It's good to know that some folks are having success with meds. Yes, depression runs in families and the family members that need help the most are often the most relucatant to get help. I have recently learned that my grandmother and great-uncle committed suicide many years ago. I take it that your cousin and uncles suffer from depression??
We think they did - they ended their lives after going through various problems. It's in both sides of my family, which is kind of scary. My aunt was diagnosed with depression a long time ago, and has been on meds ever since. It is startling when these skeletons come out of the closet. I had no idea about my aunt's illness until recently, and I also found out that my great uncle commited suicide after he found out he had cancer (I thought he died of cancer). I think my parents wanted it swept under the rug as much as possible, but thought it may be better to tell me since they feared for awhile that I may be on the same path.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman1959
Of the dozens of posts that I have read on this message board, it seems that the overall experience with ADs and related meds is pretty negative. Perhaps we all tend to type messages when things are going bad? I haven't done a formal count but there seems to be ten bad med experiences for every one good experience. Are there folks on this site that are having success with their meds? Anybody out there that is thankful for a med that is saving them from intolerable depression? I've been suffering from major depression my entire life. I am on three meds that are basically keeping me alive. I just thought it would be nice to hear some positive experiences. This depression board is starting to make me depressed!!
Have you tried a MAOI? There is more risk with this one as you may know. What about the VNS? I've heard promising news.

Closed Thread