It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

gloriamomof5 HB User
hospital

has any one here ever been hospitalized for deppresion im going in next few days and i dont no what to exspect?how long do they keep you what test do they do or do they?im scared to be around others who are as seriusly deppresed as me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

Fiona84 HB User
Re: hospital

my husband just got out of the hospital today for depression. He was there for 3 days following his feeling suicidal. He initially didnt want to go but once he was there he felt much better. i think being around others who understand him really helped, as well as having docs and nurses to talk with and help him formulate a 'plan' for treatment. It was much more useful than a 30 minute convo with a doctor would be! I wouldn't be afraid or nervous, i would embrace this opportunity to help yourself even though it is a bit scary. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

It is going to vary from hospital to hospital. I spent two months on a psych ward last year and if I don't start showing improvement I will be back there again. My experience was pretty good your surrounded by staff who are educated in mental health and they are helpful.

The other patients again will vary from hospital to hospital. The one I was at had two floors the upper being the secure ward (locked doors) and the open ward. On the open floor people the major diagnosis is depression and anxiety. The secure floor has people in severe crisis who need to be monitored closely.

What else? I really can not think of anything. I hope your experience is positive

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I was admitted overnight when I was having suicidal thoughts/visions. I was in the ward for short-term stays. It was a pretty open area, and patients were hanging out talking to each other - different than the padded room I expected. Most of the rooms had two people, which I thought was really bad because these are people with serious mental problems - how is it going to make me feel safe sleeping in the same room as a stranger? They gave me a private room only after my dad came and complained. My experience was pretty bad - I had only gone because I was afraid and wanted somewhere to stay until I felt I was out of danger. After being in the ER for a couple of hours and talking to various people, I wanted to leave, but they ended up admitting me because the psychiatrist wasn't coming in until morning. There were a lot of nurses walking the halls, but still, I felt weird being in a place where psychotic people were roaming around. It wasn't just suicide cases - some of the patients seemed very disturbed. There was a public area where most of the people hung out, but I stayed in my room for most of the time. They let me close my door at night, but nurses peeked in several times throughout the night. I'm not sure I'd call it a good or bad experience - most of it was a blur to me. I kept thinking, "How did I end up here??" I'm sure it varies hospital to hospital, and if you're considered a higher risk, or in for long-term treatment, you may have a more secure, private environment.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

PeytonP HB User

For me the experience was more like living in a nursing home.

Just slept, ate, hung around. The nurses passed out meds. I think I spoke to a therapist now and then..but nothing too intense.

It was MANY years ago, and like others have said..I was pretty out of it - so the details are foggy. It did give me time to just "veg", and not have to make excuses for feeling so pathetic IRL (feeling guilty for not accomplishing anything, participating in anything - all that would cause it's own stress). So, it was nice not to need to explain, or have people just "let me be".

But all-in-all, the experience really didn't leave any lasting impression on me.

My depression was situational, btw. I was able to eventually get past the trauma the triggered it.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I have been in both inpatient and outpatient hospitalization last month. I am suffering with major depression and became suicidal. Part is hereditary and part stress related. The hospital I was in has different wards depending on what you are experiencing. The ward that I was on was basically for psyche problems such as depressions, suicidal thoughts and self harm, etc. It wasn't so bad because everyone on our ward was suffering with the same problems so we bonded and helped each other. We had two people to a room. We had vitals taken every morning, go to breakfast, group and individual counseling sessions and activity time. There is also a set time for visitors. The schedule is very rigid and we could not go out of the ward without the supervision of the hospital staff. All meals are eaten together in a cafeteria as long as you are not on constant watch for self harm. If you are on watch for self harm, all meals are eaten on the ward and you cannot leave until you are off watch. The main purpose of this hospital is to get us stabilized on our medications. The doctors can give larger doses as well as try more different meds in a shorter time since we are under the care of nurses and vitals are taken to monitor our reactions to the drugs. I also got to see a doctor each day. Take some good books with you, journals, and any other magazines that you like to read because you may have quite a bit of down time and this helps with the boredom. There was also a television and movies to watch. We were not required to attend any of the group sessions, especially if the meds or anxiety was too much to bear.

If you are not comfortable with your room mate, tell your nurse. People come in at different stages of illness. There was a separate ward for the people who have severe mental illnesses, i.e.: hallucinations, voices, paranoia, etc. A separate ward for people with drug and alcohol addictions, a children's ward, etc. Also be sure to check with the hospital so that you know what you can bring and can't. Sharp items had to be checked out with supervision. Some items are not allowed.

Last edited by Happy Days; 12-04-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Closed Thread