It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
(male)

Saverain HB User
Posture & My Depression

Just wanted to share what really helped my depression, correcting my posture. What I did,

1. Stood up straight wherever I go, (head high to the sky, chin up)
2. When sitting, back never touches the chair, bottom of back pulled forward, head straight up.
3. Neck stretching, stand up straight, breathe in, tuck in you chin and hold for five seconds, repeat.
4. Stand up straight, move elbows back beside your sides, breathe in and pull your shoulder blade and your shoulders together as hard as your can with your upper back muscles, hold for 5 seconds and breathe out, repeat.
5. Yoga, the book "yoga for stress" is great.

What also helped was eating pineapple. Drinking water with a little bit of lemon juice in it and salt (mixed). Eating fresh raw green vegetables, fruit (bananas , plums, pineapple), meat (sardines), nuts (walnuts, raw sunflower seeds)

Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Lightbulb Re: Posture & My Depression

am i in the right place on here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: Posture & My Depression

thank you for posting.

I am glad you found something that helped you.

Take care.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

[QUOTE=Saverain]Just wanted to share what really helped my depression, correcting my posture. What I did,

I've heard yoga is good for anxiety.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
(male)

Saverain HB User

I had anxiety really bad from problems with my credit but after a little yoga it all just melted away.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

xpax HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saverain
Just wanted to share what really helped my depression, correcting my posture. What I did,

1. Stood up straight wherever I go, (head high to the sky, chin up)
2. When sitting, back never touches the chair, bottom of back pulled forward, head straight up.
3. Neck stretching, stand up straight, breathe in, tuck in you chin and hold for five seconds, repeat.
4. Stand up straight, move elbows back beside your sides, breathe in and pull your shoulder blade and your shoulders together as hard as your can with your upper back muscles, hold for 5 seconds and breathe out, repeat.

What also helped was eating pineapple. Drinking water with a little bit of lemon juice in it and salt (mixed). Eating fresh raw green vegetables, fruit (bananas , plums, pineapple), meat (sardines), nuts (walnuts, raw sunflower seeds)
I know what you mean. I go to a Chiropractor at least monthly for a slipping second vertebrae to fight classic migraines.
The longer I can hold my chiropractic corrections, the better I do feel. I try to stand and sit straight, but life buffets my concentration and resolve, and I end up slouched again. But I have never directly applied it to my long-term depr and anx as you have.

P.S. Exactly how did posture and posture exercises help your depr? I myself am on disablity welfare, so I can't afford to eat right.

Keep chuggin'! xpax

Last edited by xpax; 12-06-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
(female)

bloodyhell HB User

Yoga is a well-proven release for anxiety. It relieves tense muscles, and in doing so, we are better equiped to go for a walk or do other exercise.

I have found that eating certain food (and, most important, avoiding sugar, starches, carbohydrates, and junk food) helps depression. It's not heresay, it's science. Tryptophan is a neurotransmittor chemical that precedes serotonin, which makes us feel better. Tryptophan is found in foods like turkey meat. Eating a clean diet is really important when we are depressed, unfortunately, in our helplessness and aloneness, we usually turn to quick fixes for relief, so-called 'comfort foods', but it's a short-lived relief.
It's been proven that a clean diet and exercise can prevent depression recurrence.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #8
(male)

Saverain HB User

Bloodyhell, I agree with you completely, we get depressed from life experiences but hell they are not supposed to kill. The foods we eat the lack of exercise, the bad posture all of that contributes to our depression. I thought I was terminally depressed before changing these things.

How did posture help? You'll have to bear with me, I believe that it all has to do with our thymus gland. Our thymus gland determines how we react to different situations. It tells our adrenal glands to release adrenaline when we get into a confrontation and our thyroid glands to secrete hormone that controls various physiological functions in our bodies. When our thymus is weak our bodies don't react strongly to these confrontations and we become limp, depressed our thyroid and adrenal glands are inactive, hypothyroidism.

Ok, now the thymus does all that, where is it located, right in the middle of your chest, when we slouch it strains this region of our body, when our back is straight there is less pressure there and the blood flow to it is better. Junk food is the main cause of manganese deficiency, manganese is essential for thymus function. The thymus also programs the Tcells (invader fighters) where the invaders are so they can fight them, when the thymus gland is weak these Tcells are lost.

So IMO the thymus gland should be strengthened to get rid of depression. IMO there are several ways to do this:

1. Good Posture
2. Better Diet (No refined bread, no candy, processed foods..ect)
3. Manganese (May be deficient because of diet)
Sources: Pineapple, pumpkin seeds (raw), peanuts

There are other possible supplements like B1 (raw flower seeds) bee propolis that might help. Exercise helps a great deal.

Also your environment determines how your thymus reacts, so some things make your thymus strong and others may your thymus weak, so if something makes you smile, laugh, proud it strengthens, makes you confused or sad it weakens. So smiling, even just randomly smiling will help.

It's not expensive to eat right, just hard to get into the habit, fresh green veggies are cheap, you just have to eat them. I go to the dollar store all the time and find a large can of pineapple with the ingredients, pineapple and pineapple juice. I only drink water and that really helps. I think it's cheaper. I know it's a pain but IMO it's necessary for good health.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-07-2006 at 06:31 AM. Reason: posted a doctor's website against the posting rules

Closed Thread