It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

deb0521 HB User
Does anyone have severe anxiety and depersonalization with depression

I have been depressed and anxious for about 5 weeks now. It has been three weeks since I started taking lexapro. It doesn't seem to be helping. I am also on klonipin, buspar and depakote. I am still anxious, depressed and I feel like I would be better off dead. I have gone through this many times before starting at the age of 20. I always improved on medicine. I am scared now that I won't. The last time I had an attack was ten years ago. I have been symptom free ever since. Then one morning about five weeks ago I woke up and I know that It was back. I feel like I am just existing and not living. I am 46 years old and maybe the meds are not going to work now. I am so scared. Please help. I also have depersonalization with this also.

Last edited by deb0521; 12-05-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
(male)

mongomad HB User
Re: Does anyone have severe anxiety and depersonalization with depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb0521
I have been depressed and anxious for about 5 weeks now. It has been three weeks since I started taking lexapro. It doesn't seem to be helping. I am also on klonipin, buspar and depakote. I am still anxious, depressed and I feel like I would be better off dead. I have gone through this many times before starting at the age of 20. I always improved on medicine. I am scared now that I won't. The last time I had an attack was ten years ago. I have been symptom free ever since. Then one morning about five weeks ago I woke up and I know that It was back. I feel like I am just existing and not living. I am 46 years old and maybe the meds are not going to work now. I am so scared. Please help. I also have depersonalization with this also.
Please realize that it is just a matter of time for your Dr. to find the right combo of meds. They will help you get out in concert with some therapy. You will be just fine as long as you are willing to get help. Follow what they ask you to do and do not be afraid to ask questions/take notes. You may think you'll remember it all, but it's best to have a transcript and maybe even a friend, family member or significant other with you.

If you have made plans about being dead and think you will act on it, please go to the hospital now. Just tell them the truth and they will help you. You'll wake up one day in the future and say, "I sure am glad I stuck it out!"

There are tons of meds now and it just is a matter of getting the right ones at the right dosages. I am about 6 months on this roller coaster, but am getting closer to having the right stuff to keep me on an even keel. I had depression for 22 years before it finally broke me. I had only sought help once briefly. The longer you wait, the worse it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
(female)

deb0521 HB User

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been down this path before and have always gotten better. Did you ever have depersonalization with your depression. It is very frightening. God Bless

Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I have had panic attacks, anxiety and depersonalization. Most of the time mine would get worse when I was in a crowd of people, especially at the mall or movies. I also have major depression. I am on Ativan which controls my anxiety and panic attacks. Thank God I have not had an attack in two years since I have been on the Ativan. The depersonalization is an awful feeling. It is as though you are out of your body with no control of yourself. It is all probably part of the anxiety. Most people who have depression also suffer with anxiety. My depression got really bad over the past months and I had to be hospitalized. My doctor is trying a series of antidepressants. I too have the suicidal thoughts. What I do now is try to find some way to divert my attention until the meds start working. I will call a friend or family or I will get on the computer and get on HealthBoards or play a computer game until the worse is over.

Contact your doctor as soon as possible or go to your nearest hospital emergency room. I have been on various meds over the years and it seems like over time, my body becomes immune to its effects and I have to try or add different meds.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

i to have had several bouts with these. it was almost 20 years between the last one and the one i am going through now. 2 years ago anxiety reared it's ugly head. i went on buspar and it worked great. then this june it came back. the buspar was increased and i am doing okay. i am 52 and going through the change and i believe some of this is due to that. i have also quit smoking and was told that it could lead to depression and anxiety because nicotine works on the dopamine receptors. so i am in couseling and on meds and am doing okay. hope you do well. keep the faith.

Closed Thread