It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

Kierkegaard HB User
Confused (and new)

Hi there.

I'm relatively new here and basically new to reseraching any sort of medical conditions. Anyhoo, I'm 18, male in education in the north east of England. I have a normal life I guess with great (but volatile) friends. But lately, over about a period of a year or two, I get odd and horrible feelings. Sometimes lethargic and dead, sometimes I'm scarilly hyper, slurrign my words and saying random things outload. I mostly feel awkward in social situations and I never used to be shy Im told. Random, intense bursts of rage also occur and I get angry/confused/scared/upset for no reason at all.

But overall, I feel sad. the rest of the symptoms and 'standard issue' depression ones, yknow, thinking about suicide and I recently started harming my self. Nothing serious, just little scratches. Im told I drink heavily but I don't buy that part. It's just that I have nothing to be depressed about! I feel like I'm making excuses if I tell someone all this. Although the only reason I'm here is because I can't sleep and my friends suggested I find help so, here I am. Am I depressed? I mean, I guess I'm not kidding anyone by posting it here, so go for it.

Much obliged,
Kierkegaard

Last edited by Kierkegaard; 12-05-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Confused (and new)

Hi Welcome to the boards. If I were you I would keep track of the emotions you are experiencing then bring it to your doc for a proper diagnosis.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
(male)

mongomad HB User

Kierkegaard,

If you are knocking them back like every night and you notice you are the one that typically is the last to leave, even if you are not an alcoholic, this can certainly affect your brain. You are at the age that this is very popular to do, but a man has to know his limitations. If you're not an alcoholic, give it up completely for a month and monitor how you feel.

Abuse of any depressant drug can lead to depression whether you are a clinical alcoholic or not. I would do that and if your drinking buddies complain, tell them you are doing an experiment to see if you feel better and will be right back with them in a mere few weeks.

During that time, see a psychologist and a therapist. The rage issues need to be addressed as you do not have the best impulse control at your age. You may drastically change your life for the worse in a moments time. Go to the ER next time you think about cutting yourself.

Good luck to you! This is a wonderful time of life, 18, or least it can be. Make the most of it.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Maybe read/post over on the bipolar board and make an appt. to see your doctor.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
(male)

Kierkegaard HB User

Hi again,

Thank you all for your responses. I'm pretty sure it's a typical angst thing but I'll check it out anyhow. Thanks again.

Regards,
Kierkegaard

Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

What i would suguest is going to the doctor and first make sure all medical problems are ruled out. I am currently researching into thyroid disorders, so i can talk to my doctor about it being a possiblily of it causing my depression, when i next see her.

I have had depression problems for years, but medical problems should be ruled out first. I am also 18, and i get the same, highs and lows as you do, it may be bipolar disorder. Or as you said it could just be your age.

There are so many possibilitys and it can be frustrating, trying to get a proper diagnose, but the sooner you get one, the sooner you will know the best action to take to help your self.

take care.

Closed Thread